#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Notice Bank of America to charge $5 debit card fee

By CANDICE CHOI - Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Bank of America plans to start charging customers a $5 monthly fee for using their debit card to make purchases. The fee will be rolled out starting early next year.

A number of banks have already either rolled out or are testing such fees. But Bank of America ( BAC - news - people )'s announcement carries added weight because it is the largest U.S. bank by deposits.

Anne Pace, a Bank of America Corp. spokeswoman, said Thursday that customers will only be charged the fee if they use their debit cards for purchases in any given month. Customers won't be charged if they only use their cards at an ATM.

The fee will apply to basic accounts and will be in addition to any existing monthly service fees. For example, one of the bank's basic accounts charges a $12 monthly fee unless customers meet certain conditions, such as maintaining a minimum average balance of $1,500.

A fee for using debit cards is still a novel concept for many consumers and was unheard of before this year. But there are signs it may soon become an industry norm.

SunTrust, a regional bank based in Atlanta, began charging a $5 debit card fee on its basic checking accounts this summer. Regions Financial ( RF - news - people ), which is based in Birmingham, Ala., plans to start charging a $4 fee next month.

Chase and Wells Fargo ( WFC - news - people ) are also testing $3 monthly debit card fees in select markets. Neither bank has said when it will make a final decision on whether to roll out the fee more broadly.

The growing prevalence of the debit card fee is alarming for Josh Wood, a 32-year-old financial adviser in Amarillo, Texas.

Wood relies entirely on debit cards to avoid interest charges on a credit card. If his bank, Wells Fargo, began charging a debit card fee, he said he would take his business to a credit union.

If a debit fee became so prevalent that it was unavoidable, Wood said he's not sure how he'd react.

"I might use all cash. Or go back to writing checks," he said.

The debit card fee isn't the only unwelcome change for checking account customers are seeing either. The banking industry has been raising fees and scaling back on rewards programs as they adjust to new regulations that will limit traditional revenue sources.

Starting Oct. 1, a regulation will cap the fees that banks can collect from merchants whenever customers swipe their debit cards. Those fees generated $19 billion in revenue for banks in 2009, according to the Nilson Report, which tracks the payments industry.

There is no similar cap on the fees that banks can collect from merchants when customers use their credit cards, however. That means banks may increasingly encourage customers to reach for their credit cards, reversing a trend toward debit card usage in the past several years.

An increasing reliance on credit cards would be particularly beneficial for Bank of America, which is a major credit card issuer, notes Bart Narter, a banking analyst with Celent, a consulting firm.

"It's become a more profitable business, at least in relation to debit cards," Narter said.

This summer, an Associated Press-GfK poll found that two-thirds of consumers use debit cards more frequently than credit cards. But when asked how they would react if they were charged a $3 monthly debit card fee, 61 percent said they'd find another way to pay.

If the fee were $5, 66 percent said they would also change their payment method.

Bank of America's debit card fee will be rolled out in stages starting with select states in early 2012. The company would not say which states would be affected first.

Bank of America shares rose 9 cents, or 1.5 percent, to $6.25 in afternoon trading.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    what's the point of having a debit card if they're gonna charge you?

I am fixed

"Somedays I wake up and feel like nobody loves me. Other days I wake up and feel like I love nobody. Sometimes I wake up and feel tired, and worn out. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I cannot face the day. But someday I'll wake up and realize that waking up is pretty stupid because it just makes you feel like crap."

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'd be pissed and I'd switch banks...I use my debit card all the time

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    That's ridiculous.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Debit cards are often used by poor people or those trying to build credit...you know, the exact people who probably can't afford another fee.

Banks are all run by greedy assholes.
    Behold my signature~!!

Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    Fuck you hippy
    Pippa~!!
    The horse does not eat cucumber salad.
    I think everyone in my world, the normal world, knows that Mark Levin and Hannity are relevant only to the angriest, most bitter Americans. (Alec Baldwin)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    I pay 12 bucks per month for my 'Infinity' debit card at my TD bank.As many debits as I want.

If I use a non TD automated teller to get cash, I get charged 1.50 per transaction at the ATM...and then another 1.50 on my monthly TD bank statement for non-TD ATM transactions.

With me so far? 12 bucks + let's say 10 non TD bank withdrawals = 1.50 x 10 = 1.50 x 10 = 42 dollars a month for the privilege of using my account.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I pay 12 bucks per month for my 'Infinity' debit card at my TD bank.As many debits as I want.

If I use a non TD automated teller to get cash, I get charged 1.50 per transaction at the ATM...and then another 1.50 on my monthly TD bank statement for non-TD ATM transactions.

With me so far? 12 bucks + let's say 10 non TD bank withdrawals = 1.50 x 10 = 1.50 x 10 = 42 dollars a month for the privilege of using my account.

So how's yer bunghole feeling?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Debits are free...and I do a lot of them.

The only time I get the 1.50 hoop-rape is when I take out cash at a machine that's not affiliated with my bank.It's a standard thing up here in Canada, 1.50 for a cash transaction not at 'your' bank machine.

Then TD (Canada Trust) levies the additional non-TD charge on my monthly account.So it's pretty much 3 bucks for cash when I'm not using their machines.I am driving my own destiny...I could avoid it altogether by not being lazy and using their machines when I need cash, which isn't often.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, but the straight $12/month right off the top is BS

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 869 Posts
    Had someone write me a check from bofa once, they wanted 15$ to cash the motherfucker because I was a non account holder...

Went to walmart, and they charged me 3$.

I already have your name on my butthole...too bad the tattoo artist couldn't spell
    Looser
    murder my ass..shove it up my ass....both are beautiful terms of endearment

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    Had someone write me a check from bofa once, they wanted 15$ to cash the motherfucker because I was a non account holder...

Went to walmart, and they charged me 3$.
    I kn bow banks charge you to cash a check if you aren't a customer, but $15 is just ridiculous

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    Yeah, but the straight $12/month right off the top is BS
    That's actually a good plan comparatively...they have others that are cheaper but with limited debit transactions....like 4 or 8 transactions

I do something like 40 -100 per month

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I pay nothing to use my debit card...only time I get a fee is if I use a non-TCF Bank ATM

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    I pay nothing to use my debit card...only time I get a fee is if I use a non-TCF Bank ATM
    This is my overall bank plan that features my debit card...so I do all normal transactions, checking, savings, pre authorized debits plus my debits.

Doesn't your bank charge you a monthly fee?