Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My car audio thread.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 483 Posts
    I've done some DB drag Racing in the past. It was fun, in an unconventional vehicle. Best I did was 134db off the glass on a Brüel & Kjær spl meter, with 3 JL 12w6's. Back then, the classes were determined by cone sizing/speaker volume. I'd often go up against hardcore guys with full blown pro systems. Never did it for the medals or trophies, just to know something I built had the ability to compete with shop built systems.

I'm in the Land Rover. I'll see if I can find some pics of the system. I know I have video stills of it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,888 Posts
    Verah chill YT. When I was a younger lad, I had systems in my cars, but tended to let the exhaust give the vibe I was sporting. I have always enjoyed a nice system, but, when it came to where I was gonna spend $$, it was always on speed. Now, I'm more into comfortable speed, with all the bells and whistles.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    Verah chill YT. When I was a younger lad, I had systems in my cars, but tended to let the exhaust give the vibe I was sporting. I have always enjoyed a nice system, but, when it came to where I was gonna spend $$, it was always on speed. Now, I'm more into comfortable speed, with all the bells and whistles.
    I always worked with what I had, I've never had anything given to my by my parents. So I never had a fancy system in my cars or a fancy car for that matter. Those pics were from only 8 to 10 years ago. I was in my 30's doing stuff to my truck that majority of people are in their teens or twenties. Hell most of those guys were using test tones, I was actually using 30 seconds of songs clips. I didn't know any better, I was a complete noob to it.

So it wasn't till I had a stable income and no kids yet that I was able to do things I wished I had done earlier in life. So that's why it was a Landy with a system. Funny thing, I was referred to as gramps with system amongst the other competitors.

The vehicle I had after this one was built for speed with family in mind, again "BUILT" not bought, that one needs it's own thread though since it went through many transformations, motorwise and stereo's. Just got rid of it last summer.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Start the thread on it, would love to see it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Okay, got some updates. Probably going to be all I do to the truck (at least until I decide on what sub to install)

I went with the Kenwood KDC-BT848U instead of the KDC-X895 head unit. The only real difference is the 848 has 2.5v pre-outs, and the 895 had 4v. The 848 was $30 less retail, and I got it at a place going out of business for a lot less than retail. lol
    It's been awhile since I did this much of an install, so it took me a day and a half (also steam cleaned the carpet in my truck while the seats were out.)
    Here's the head unit installed:

Powered up for the first time:

And the amp installed..

The location of the amp is temp, until I decide exactly how/where I'm going to put the sub, so the wiring isn't finalized yet.
    The power cable is ran through the firewall (using a factory through wall fitting Dodge was nice enough to have installed) along under the door sills. All other wiring (pre-amp, and speaker) is ran along the passenger side of the center driveline floor hump/tunnel.