Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I hate STEAM games and will never buy one again...

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,838 Times in 8,177 Posts

Rant Why I hate STEAM games and will never buy one again...

I decided to buy a game, rather than the usual alternative.Went to Best Buy, laid down my money for Fallout New Vegas (pc) and took it home.

Then the shite started Take 5 minutes and try to imagine yourself doing the same...

PART 1

1.Insert DVD, it prompts me for the key registration code in the box.I enter that.
    2.Computer tells me that Steam software/server will install, rather than the game.
    3.Steam installs, tells me that I should create an account.I make up a name and password, Steam then tells me I already have an account
    4.Steams tells me my account name and then asks for password.I can't recall either so ask for them to send password to my email.
    5.Email says - paste this code and answer 'secret question about favorite pet' to change existing password, rather than just give me old password
    6.If I can't recall account name, password...chances are the secret question answer is not happening either.It will not let me create a new account no matter what I try.
    7.Finally, I luck out on the secret pet's name (fuckyou) and Steam installs it's little program.

PART 2

1.Steam then starts downloading the game files from it's server Keep in mind I have BOUGHT THE DVD with the game install files on it.
    2.Steam on Friday night at 6pm is very busy.I get about 23 kbs and the download cuts off a handful of times saying - Steam is busy or Steam can't complete the download at this time.
    3.I get really angry and shut down Steam, explore the DVD on my computer and find the setup.exe for the damn game.
    4.The game installs within 12 minutes from the DVD (about 7 gigs worth) on my awesome computer, as compared to 60 minutes using online Steam to get about 20% of the game files.
    5.Steam updates the game..apparently.I have no idea because it doesn't tell me the patch versions or what further files have been installed
    6.I find that as a pc user, I MUST run Steam each time I play the game, it will not start unless Steam is first initialized.Keep in mind that I'm playing the single player campaign, no online tournaments or venues.

PART 3

1.Fallout New Vegas is an awesome game.Like Oblivion and Fallout 3, the world is immense and there's lots to do with inventory and choices regarding factions etc.
    2.THEN...after about 10 hours of playing, the game won't start.It freezes on the load screen every time.I check the task manager and sure enough 'falloutnv launcher' is not responding.
    3.So I restart and restart and restart...and then I get back to my current save.This happens each time I play.I go to load my save and the launcher crashes every 5 out of 10 tries.
    4.So then I go online and type "fallout new vegas launcher" .....and only get that far before I see about 8 million Google results telling me that other users are having the same problem.
    5.I'm a savvy pc gamer so I try about 5 different things to bypass the launcher and or Steam.I get a good result for about about 3 days then it's back to the frozen load screen.

MORAL - After reading for hours about the problem, I understand that it's the Steam portion of the game screwing things up.It's a Catch 22 though...you need to run Steam as the game will not run alone and Steam is causing the game launcher failure.

Go ahead..take 10 seconds and Google this "falloutnv launcher not working"

I feel sorry for people who can't be online for whatever reason.They'll buy the same DVD, go home, try to install it and find that a net connection is necessary to both install and play the game, each and every time.

:

next game will be pirated..at least then I know the illegal copy will bloody well start

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I know I'm late to the party with this game...an example of why I love it

This is one little area, featuring a tourist T-rex that has an office within and a sniper's post in the T-rex's mouth

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    oh btw...I killed Old Lady Gibson and raped her dogs

she pissed me off with her prices....

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Damn that's one awesome rant I'm not a big fan of Steam either...

Great fuggin' screen shot tough. I'ma have to check that game out now

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    GF if you like managing inventory and open world exploration...get this game.It's notsomuch of a first person shooter...more like a FPS role playing game.

You can collect EVERYTHING and then have to make decisions like - I can carry 220 pounds of equipment, do I pick up that cool laser pistol and throw down some of my armor?

It rocks from visuals to depth.PC version was only 20 bucks, perhaps the best 20 I've spent in a long time

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I really like New Vegas, the music is not as good as Fallout 3 but apart from that its pretty cool.

El Goofy Fantastico!

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts
    How can you tell if a game is part of the whole Steam thing? I was thinking of buying Rage for my dad and I don't want to get it if it's part of this mess

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Got Oblivion and Counter-strike on Steam...never had a problem with it.Well I did have problems with Oblivions but because of the mods I put in...works great as is.And Lance, it should say if it needs steam on the box.(I assume)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    How can you tell if a game is part of the whole Steam thing? I was thinking of buying Rage for my dad and I don't want to get it if it's part of this mess
    I'm looking at my Fallout New Vegas box and I couldn't tell...the only advice I could offer is - buy the game, throw the disk in and if it starts installing Steam, let it do it's thing.Then at one point it will want to download the game files from the Steam server.Stop that, find a setting in Steam called 'delete local content' and then shut down Steam (it's a zombie program, makes sure it's stopped in the task manager) and then simply explore the actual DVD and hit the setup.exe file.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    WAIT! Your Dad will be playing Rage???

Does he want to adopt a son?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    oh btw...I killed Old Lady Gibson and raped her dogs

she pissed me off with her prices....

You should have let the sniper do it and watch her head and blood splatter
    excluding a mirror....you can never see your own eye...

whoa

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leefro View Post
    You should have let the sniper do it and watch her head and blood splatter
    I had already led the other bird out to the killing floor...

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I had already led the other bird out to the killing floor...

Well that was the wrong one

whoa

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    huh?

the dude took her head clean off

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothBob View Post
    I really like New Vegas, the music is not as good as Fallout 3 but apart from that its pretty cool.

whoa