#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,103 Times in 59,908 Posts

Notice Hackers Break Into Steam Gaming Database

By Matt Liebowitz, SecurityNewsDaily Staff Writer

Hackers broke into the user database of the popular online gaming platform Steam and gained access to customers' names, passwords, email addresses and credit card information.

According to the video game distribution company Valve, which runs Steam, the breach occurred Nov. 6, when the intruders defaced the user forums.

In a letter that Valve sent to its members and was obtained by gaming news and reviews site ZTGD, Valve founder Gabe Newell said the company found that the breach went "beyond the Steam forums," and that hackers obtained access to the Steam database, on which the sensitive user information is stored.

Steam has 35 million users and is the world's largest digital distributor of video games.

Despite the value, both personal and financial, of the content kept by the compromised gaming database, Newell informed Steam customers that the company had no evidence that "encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating."

Newell said there have been "only a few" compromised forum accounts but no compromised Steam accounts or reports so far of credit card misuse.

Valve recommended that Steam members, as a precaution, change their account passwords for the forum and any other online accounts that use the same password, and closely monitor their credit card activity.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    great

I stay away from that shit for years and just installed it last month because I bought a game AND HAD TO!!!!

motherfucker..

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 869 Posts
    You know what's even more funny. This pales in comparison to the amount of problems that are caused by copy/scanner/fax machines.

Most, if not all, copy/fax/scanner machines made in the last 10 years, have a hard drive that keeps a hard copy of everything copied, faxed, or scanned.

These machines, you can buy used for less then 100-200$, and get all the sensitive data you want. From SS numbers, to birth certificates, CC numbers, health records, etc...

What's being done about this? NOTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I already have your name on my butthole...too bad the tattoo artist couldn't spell
    Looser
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    murder my ass..shove it up my ass....both are beautiful terms of endearment

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    no funny

interesting tho with the copiers etc

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 800 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    You know what's even more funny. This pales in comparison to the amount of problems that are caused by copy/scanner/fax machines.

Most, if not all, copy/fax/scanner machines made in the last 10 years, have a hard drive that keeps a hard copy of everything copied, faxed, or scanned.

These machines, you can buy used for less then 100-200$, and get all the sensitive data you want. From SS numbers, to birth certificates, CC numbers, health records, etc...

What's being done about this? NOTHING!

That's misleading. Saving files/scans/prints to disk is a feature you have to turn on. It's off by default on many machines.

Every audit our bank goes through checks for the save to disk feature and any files that may be lingering on the hard drives.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    *Xbox remains uncompromised*

*knocks on wood*

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    In my Steam account all they can get is my email address and my username (Lancespanties)

I've never ran my CC through it for anything...