Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: F. U. Coffee

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts

Whine F. U. Coffee

I can go to the supermarket and get a can of coke for $1.07, already cold and ready to go.

Think about what that can of pop has gone through to get to me. The tin can had to be made, steralized and prepped. The actual soda itself probably was made from a dozen ingredients, some hopefully made within a few miles, others undoubtedly from across the country. The can was then labelled, lidded, packaged in cardboard and sent to a distribution fascility. It was loaded with other cases and shipped by truck and/or trail all the way to Vancouver, BC, where it was again moved out to a local supermarket. Someone unloaded the palette, and a stock boy then filled the fridge which drains power throughout the day.

But I go to any of the local shops for a cup of coffee and it's $2.30 for a medium, 'grande' size. It's just some fuggin' beans. The same amount of beans in the space occupied by that can of pop could create 30 cups of coffee. But apparently hot water, a cardboard cup and some beans is over twice the price.

I don't get it...

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I can go to the supermarket and get a can of coke for $1.07, already cold and ready to go.

Think about what that can of pop has gone through to get to me. The tin can had to be made, steralized and prepped. The actual soda itself probably was made from a dozen ingredients, some hopefully made within a few miles, others undoubtedly from across the country. The can was then labelled, lidded, packaged in cardboard and sent to a distribution fascility. It was loaded with other cases and shipped by truck and/or trail all the way to Vancouver, BC, where it was again moved out to a local supermarket. Someone unloaded the palette, and a stock boy then filled the fridge which drains power throughout the day.

But I go to any of the local shops for a cup of coffee and it's $2.30 for a medium, 'grande' size. It's just some fuggin' beans. The same amount of beans in the space occupied by that can of pop could create 30 cups of coffee. But apparently hot water, a cardboard cup and some beans is over twice the price.

I don't get it...
    When I was in school I worked at 7-11, coffee was the biggest earner over everything else in the store. The cup cost more then the coffee.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Gotta jack the prices up on the things people crave..

On a similar note. I heard that Debeers controls the output of diamonds to keep the value inflated.. I heard they have enough diamonds in store that they could send every American a 5 lb bag of them...

Is the story BS? I dunno..

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyGut View Post

On a similar note. I heard that Debeers controls the output of diamonds to keep the value inflated.. I heard they have enough diamonds in store that they could send every American a 5 lb bag of them...

Nope, that's the truth (well, maybe not enough to give everyone 5 lbs, but still). The only real wild card in that equation are the Russians because from what I understand they have enough diamond that they could mine where they could easily flood the market. DeBeers has some kind of agreement with them so that they don't do it. The artificially high price benefits the Russians too I guess.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts

Make your own coffee, GF. People have been doing it for decades.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I want to get one of those models that you put the little K-cup in and it makes just one cup of coffee..

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post

Make your own coffee, GF. People have been doing it for decades.
    I do on weekends but on weekdays I can barely roll my ass out of bed to get to work on time

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I want to get one of those models that you put the little K-cup in and it makes just one cup of coffee..
    We have one at work. It makes good coffee, I use it sometimes when the boss isn't around He hasn't said anything but at a $1.00 a cup I'm sure he'd rather clients use them and I'll be asking for a raise soon so every little thing helps.

My coworker drinks 2-3 a day

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    All that friggin college you went through. I cant believe you arent the boss...

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Nope

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Muddy gets in his car like a boss

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I do on weekends but on weekdays I can barely roll my ass out of bed to get to work on time

Lazy butt.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    I buy store-bought Tim Horton's coffee every day.I usually end up getting a couple for the work lads or friends too, so my daily coffee usually costs around 8 dollars

Timmy's XL, triple triple is only 1.79, so I feel it's not a bad value.Starbucks on the other hand is like platinum in a cup ffs....

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 800 Posts
    I think soda is a bigger rip off than coffee. Coffee has to be grown, harvested, shipped, roasted, ground, then made fresh for maximum flavor. Soda is made by a machine with a few simple compounds and then shipped wherever it needs to go.

It's all about where you buy the stuff anyways. Any "coffee shop" is ripping you off no matter what you get. K-Cups go for $.65 a piece where I live. I use a reusable K-Cup that I put my own coffee grounds in and it costs maybe $.10 for my morning coffee.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    Nope, that's the truth (well, maybe not enough to give everyone 5 lbs, but still). The only real wild card in that equation are the Russians because from what I understand they have enough diamond that they could mine where they could easily flood the market. DeBeers has some kind of agreement with them so that they don't do it. The artificially high price benefits the Russians too I guess.
    The Russian deal was done to allow DeBeer's to sell the Russian stones...it actually benefits the tycoons who own all the Russian mines. Why? Because that deal allowed DeBeer's to reclaim a majority percentage of the raw diamonds on sale in the world and to maintain high prices in the process. Since the Russian stones are then sold at those artificially inflated rates, they profit. Russia only accounts for about ten percent of the world's uncut diamonds. Africa is still the big area for them, and almost all mines down there are controlled by Debeers.

In both situations though, it is only the owners who profit, the vast majority of their workforces live in poverty and suffer dangerous conditions.

Also note that DeBeers, though not the monopolistic force they once were, still control well over half the supply of uncut diamonds in the world. At one point, they controlled the vast majority of the market.

Diamonds are surprisingly common, no matter what you may have been told. Mind you, there is still a lot of environmental damage from the mining, but that high price you pay for a wedding ring is just pure profit for the billionaire owners of a few groups like DeBeers.

Quote Originally Posted by Acid Trip View Post
    I think soda is a bigger rip off than coffee. Coffee has to be grown, harvested, shipped, roasted, ground, then made fresh for maximum flavor. Soda is made by a machine with a few simple compounds and then shipped wherever it needs to go.

It's all about where you buy the stuff anyways. Any "coffee shop" is ripping you off no matter what you get. K-Cups go for $.65 a piece where I live. I use a reusable K-Cup that I put my own coffee grounds in and it costs maybe $.10 for my morning coffee.
    This information is slightly outdated, but back in the nineties I was told of the fortune Denny's made on each glass of soda...counting labor, materials (ice, syrup), and washing the glass, it was about 4-5 cents each in costs.

Why do you think fast food places hype the drinks? That is where the real money is. These sorts of restaurants are required to buy stock directly from the corporation. However, over and above simply buying from the company, places like McDonald's still have to pay a franchise fee on every burger they sell...but nothing on the beverages.
    Behold my signature~!!

Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    Fuck you hippy
    Pippa~!!
    The horse does not eat cucumber salad.
    I think everyone in my world, the normal world, knows that Mark Levin and Hannity are relevant only to the angriest, most bitter Americans. (Alec Baldwin)