Thread: Tablets: Android or Win7?

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Advice Tablets: Android or Win7?

A buddy of mine wants to get a tablet (no matter how hard I try and talk him out of it and tell him to just get a laptop). The only good thing is I have him at least convinced not to buy a crApple.

The only question then is what OS will be better to steer him towards, Android or Win7?

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    purely on what i'm use to i'd say android ,but thats only because i have the same OS on my phone

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Without a doubt here, Android! (never failed me so far )

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Definitely Android, cuz the Honeycomb is more or less tweaked for tablet use. Should work smoother and better than Windows on a machine that doesn't have much more power than a mobile phone...

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezter View Post
    Definitely Android, cuz the Honeycomb is more or less tweaked for tablet use. Should work smoother and better than Windows on a machine that doesn't have much more power than a mobile phone...
    The thing is tho, some of the Win7 tablets have quite a bit of power packed into them compared to the Android tablets.

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    whats the apps like for W7? because tbh apps sell a machine imo

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Not sure, but I would imagine that a tablet running Win7 could run almost any program you could run on your PC (as long as it's not super memory intensive)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    Not sure, but I would imagine that a tablet running Win7 could run almost any program you could run on your PC (as long as it's not super memory intensive)
    But then again...I'd rather have apps than something that runs most programs, That is what I love with Android (and yes ram could be a huge issue if it does)
    If you want to be able to run programs, buy a laptop
    Last edited by samarchepas; 10-24-2011 at 02:46 AM.

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    I think it depends on the usage...does the user value portability over all else? Are they a gee-look-at-this-cool-and-free-app? Do they know what Linux means? Answer: Android

If they're more no-nonsense, and will be porting over what they do to a PC or laptop, and they need to often modify that word processing doc, or spreadsheet - it's a bit easier with Win 7.

Tell them to do what I did...get a Android phone (free) or reconditioned, and get a good notebook - they're smaller than a laptop and they have more than 1 USB port (mine has 3), usually more RAM and a bigger display.

It's all in the end usage, and often what they think they're gonna use it for isn't what ends up happening...take me for instance.

Pro Android: My daughter and I appreciate the stars more now, with the google app that shows the constellations, and we run like crazy people when the "Zombies" try to get us! Gets me out and exercising.

Pro Win7 My wife watches "The Tudors" with the headphones on with the notebook before retiring to bed sometimes...I am currently surfing on Teh Basement on our notebook while my wife falls asleep. We often check the weather for tomorrow because the notebook boots quickly and is set up for quick access to the weather.
    Last edited by Noilly Pratt; 10-24-2011 at 07:20 AM.

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

GarryD
    Android has more apps for it, Win7 just begins its way, so I vote for Android.
    Last edited by Pony; 03-18-2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: siggy spam

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tehlancinator View Post
    exactly.

I suppose your buddy should base his choice on the intended use. Android tablets are usually quite good with the battery life, weight and touch input function and, notably, much less expensive than fully blown Windows 7 tablets. A friend of mine uses one of those cute Samsung 7" Galaxy Tabs and it really is a very nice piece of electronics. the 10" version I once got my hands on looks just as nice and the screen is awesome. So if you mainly want to browse the web, watch media without doing much editing on them, an Android tablet is probably just what the doctor ordered

Win 7 tablets are more suitable for serious business, e.g. if you actually want to run Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, MS access or similarly power hungry software, I doubt you can get anything done with an ipad or Android tab.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Aside from the Apple, the Galaxy is the only one worth getting.. I can post the current ratings if you want tomorrow?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyGut View Post
    Aside from the Apple, the Galaxy is the only one worth getting.. I can post the current ratings if you want tomorrow?
    So is Acer Iconia Tab A510 in my opinion.

don4key
    Android, my choice.