Page 300 of 303 FirstFirst ... 200 250 290 298 299 300 301 302 ... LastLast
Results 4,486 to 4,500 of 4542

Thread: What's the last thing you bought?

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    I haven't done my deck yet. I've got to replace a fair bit of sub flooring,which means after that I have to pretty much replace all the carpeting and laminate floors too. Saving up for that now, lol I estimate it'll be around 20k
    It's going to look amazing. I note you appear to be taking advantage of financial perks of new job

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    It's going to look amazing. I note you appear to be taking advantage of financial perks of new job
    I didnt take the job. We couldn't agree on salary. Last conversation with manager went something like this:

Him: That's more than I make!"
    Me: Your inability to negotiate a fair salary is not my problem".
    ��

I honestly didn't want the job due to all the negatives, but I will have to figure something out in a couple years. My years of being in the field are reaching end times.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinD For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (05-28-2023), Pony (05-28-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

KevinD (05-29-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I didnt take the job. We couldn't agree on salary. Last conversation with manager went something like this:

Him: That's more than I make!"
    Me: Your inability to negotiate a fair salary is not my problem".
    ��

I honestly didn't want the job due to all the negatives, but I will have to figure something out in a couple years. My years of being in the field are reaching end times.
    My quick thinking reply is this explains the DIY labor (which can be a lot of fun if you have the time).

Glad you held your ground.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

KevinD (05-29-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks

As the power was flicking on and off Friday I ran across this on sale. the same size as my 2200 watt inverter/generator, same brand, still dual fuel only 3 pounds heavier but it's 4000 watts! Caught it on sale for $566.

My old has two 15A plugs, the new has one 20A and one 30A plug. I'll be able to run my whole place minus the tankless hot water (60 amps) and stove (40 amps). Gonna wire a breaker in to power my panel. Plus I figure with my old one in excellent condition with low hours, I'll wait for the next natural disaster to hit the US (hurricane, flood, tornado, Biden winning term 2, etc) and sell it when the prices are back up. Seen my model go for as much as $700 new.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (06-06-2023), KevinD (06-06-2023), lost in melb. (06-06-2023), Teh One Who Knocks (06-06-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Bravo

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

In the infinite wisdom of whoever originally wired up the house, they put the GFCI outlet in the basement that is on the same circuit as the garage outlet where the freezers are plugged in. So if that outlet trips, it cuts power to the freezers in the garage and you wouldn't even know it. We lost a bunch of food several years ago because of this retarded set-up. Decided to search for a solution when that circuit got tripped last week because of a power surge, but at least we were home and I knew to double check everything. Found this on Amazon. and hooked it up over the weekend. Tested it out and it worked great. And got the first real time test of it yesterday as me and the wife were coming home yesterday afternoon from an errand and we both got the text alert that the power was cut to that circuit. Got home, and yup, the GFCI was tripped so I just reset it and back in business. Absolutely worth the $60 for the peace of mind knowing we can prevent a loss of all that food in the freezers.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (06-07-2023), PorkChopSandwiches (06-12-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Cool. Can you also just directly replace the unwanted GFCI outlet?

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Eliminating it depends on the circumstances, GFCI are required on any circuit in a wet area or outdoors.

Lance, if it starts tripping frequently it may be getting weak.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (06-07-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Eliminating it depends on the circumstances, GFCI are required on any circuit in a wet area or outdoors.

Lance, if it starts tripping frequently it may be getting weak.
    Yeah, also on the same circuit is the outlet outside on the front steps, so that whole circuit definitely needs to have the GFCI outlet on it.

It's not tripping terribly frequently, it's just that when it does, it can be catastrophic because of the two freezers on that circuit. And those are the only things normally on that whole circuit.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (06-07-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Yeah, also on the same circuit is the outlet outside on the front steps, so that whole circuit definitely needs to have the GFCI outlet on it.

It's not tripping terribly frequently, it's just that when it does, it can be catastrophic because of the two freezers on that circuit. And those are the only things normally on that whole circuit.
    So, IF you can figure out where the front steps are on the line.....

I'd have to look into it but I'm thinking if the freezers are close to the panel and the outside outlet is AFTER those outlets, you may be able to remove the GFCI from the basement and put a new one in outside on that circuit. So the "wet" area and anything on the line after it will be protected but the (hopefully) first couple outlets in the basement will only be protected by the main breaker. I believe that is still legal to do.

EDIT: So after a little quick reading, the GFCI can go anywhere on the circuit and protect anything downstream from it. Requirements are kitchen countertops, bathrooms, outside and any outlet within 6' of a plumbing fixture.

So potentially you can move it to outside or to an outlet further down in the basement as long as none of the outlets before the new GFCI location fall under one of those rules. Pull the front porch outlet, disconnect the hot side, turn the breaker back on and see if you still have power to the freezers? If so and nothing else in a "wet" area is still on, you should be good.

Alternately, if that area of the basement is unfinished, you could run a new line from the panel dedicated to the freezers since they can be pretty high draw if both compressors kick on at the same time.
    Last edited by Pony; 06-07-2023 at 10:07 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

KevinD (06-07-2023), Teh One Who Knocks (06-08-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    We have a problem here where the dryer and the hot water service can't operate together. It also really spikes the electricity prices by pushing us into the peak rate. So we have a timer.
    Last edited by lost in melb.; 06-08-2023 at 03:54 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    So, IF you can figure out where the front steps are on the line.....

I'd have to look into it but I'm thinking if the freezers are close to the panel and the outside outlet is AFTER those outlets, you may be able to remove the GFCI from the basement and put a new one in outside on that circuit. So the "wet" area and anything on the line after it will be protected but the (hopefully) first couple outlets in the basement will only be protected by the main breaker. I believe that is still legal to do.

EDIT: So after a little quick reading, the GFCI can go anywhere on the circuit and protect anything downstream from it. Requirements are kitchen countertops, bathrooms, outside and any outlet within 6' of a plumbing fixture.

So potentially you can move it to outside or to an outlet further down in the basement as long as none of the outlets before the new GFCI location fall under one of those rules. Pull the front porch outlet, disconnect the hot side, turn the breaker back on and see if you still have power to the freezers? If so and nothing else in a "wet" area is still on, you should be good.

Alternately, if that area of the basement is unfinished, you could run a new line from the panel dedicated to the freezers since they can be pretty high draw if both compressors kick on at the same time.
    From what I've seen, any outlet in a garage needs to have a GFCI outlet on the circuit.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    From what I've seen, any outlet in a garage needs to have a GFCI outlet on the circuit.
    Tbh,

I'd try to figure out why the gfci trips. Have you tried replacing the outlet? They're fairly inexpensive for a high quality one. They do go bad over time.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinD For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (06-09-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Replacement key fob for my truck and new remote for the garage door. I thought that it would be expensive and I would have to go to the dealer to get a new key fob for the truck, but my truck is old enough where I can just buy one online and program it for my truck. $8 on Amazon.

And the new garage remote is a fob that goes on my key ring too which let's me not have to leave one on my truck. With all the auto break ins in the neighborhood, I always worried about having the garage door opener right there in my truck, so now I don't need to worry about that either. Less than $20 for two of them on Amazon.

Tbh,

I'd try to figure out why the gfci trips. Have you tried replacing the outlet? They're fairly inexpensive for a high quality one. They do go bad over time.
    I did replace the outlet and it tripped once not too long after swapping it out, but it's been fine since.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

KevinD (08-03-2023)