Page 292 of 303 FirstFirst ... 192 242 282 290 291 292 293 294 302 ... LastLast
Results 4,366 to 4,380 of 4542

Thread: What's the last thing you bought?

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Janus View Post
    something with a V8 and 2 turbos
    oh and I wish I'd never bought it

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    and I didn't buy it off darkhumour
    Last edited by Hugh_Janus; 10-16-2022 at 04:43 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    that's too bad, he probably had several to spare

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    A used Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 audio interface, a pair of Sony pro-audio headphones, and a cheap used Squier bass guitar (and the bastard looks brand-spankin' new).

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

KevinD (10-17-2022)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    new battery for my car

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    new battery for my car
    $23k?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    An Akai MIDI controller. A few books.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    A mini PC.

Fun fact I was doing Chip comparisons to see how newer processors stack up to my old one. Turns out my Core I5 3570K from 2012 still holds it's own against many current ones.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

KevinD (11-27-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    A used Xeon X5680 for my LGA1366 ASUS board. Actually, I bought it a week or so ago and just got it in my monster rig today. This Xeon runs like a champ, and runs cooler than the I7 920 that it's replacing. I got the Xeon for around $27. Not a bad pick up considering when they were first released back in 2010-2011, prices for these Xeons ran north of $1200 each.

I also picked up a used MSI Nvidia GeForce GT 710 2GB video card to replace the EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 I've been using since 2009 as well. The MSI runs better than the EVGA, and it takes less juice to do it. The EVGA required power direct from the power supply, while the MSI just uses bus power. The MSI is also a low profile card, so it takes up less space in the rig. I got this for around $37.

My monster rig's now running a lot cooler and noticeably better. It handles multitasking a lot better now. Hopefully, these upgrades will stave off the need for a new system for another few years.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Godfather (12-07-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    A used Xeon X5680 for my LGA1366 ASUS board. Actually, I bought it a week or so ago and just got it in my monster rig today. This Xeon runs like a champ, and runs cooler than the I7 920 that it's replacing. I got the Xeon for around $27. Not a bad pick up considering when they were first released back in 2010-2011, prices for these Xeons ran north of $1200 each.

I also picked up a used MSI Nvidia GeForce GT 710 2GB video card to replace the EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 I've been using since 2009 as well. The MSI runs better than the EVGA, and it takes less juice to do it. The EVGA required power direct from the power supply, while the MSI just uses bus power. The MSI is also a low profile card, so it takes up less space in the rig. I got this for around $37.

My monster rig's now running a lot cooler and noticeably better. It handles multitasking a lot better now. Hopefully, these upgrades will stave off the need for a new system for another few years.
    Nice!

I've been on the fence about upgrade vs replace my PC. Currently I can't reboot it as it locks up. I think it may be because I stuffed a third HDD in it and the power supply can't handle it on reboot? Maybe if I pull that disk out of it and throw a better graphics card in it, I can get by another few years.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Nice!

I've been on the fence about upgrade vs replace my PC. Currently I can't reboot it as it locks up. I think it may be because I stuffed a third HDD in it and the power supply can't handle it on reboot? Maybe if I pull that disk out of it and throw a better graphics card in it, I can get by another few years.
    What do you have in the system and how big is your power supply?

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts
    Nice!

How old is it? My current home PC is 12 or 13 years old now and still humming a long. I'll be sad when I have to replace it if it ever kicks the can.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    What do you have in the system and how big is your power supply?
    Core I5 3570K 8? gigs ram Crappy graphics card, SSD + 2 or 3 HDD's (I unplugged the DVD to make a spot on the board for the additional HDD. Problems started shortly after that. Runs great as long as it doesn't shut down, I have a UPS plugged into it to keep it alive. Don't know what power supply but I'm sure it's probably only a couple hundred watts. Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    How old is it? My current home PC is 12 or 13 years old now and still humming a long. I'll be sad when I have to replace it if it ever kicks the can.
    11 years. Runs great as long as I don't shut it down, takes hours to repair scan every time I do.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Core I5 3570K 8? gigs ram Crappy graphics card, SSD + 2 or 3 HDD's (I unplugged the DVD to make a spot on the board for the additional HDD. Problems started shortly after that. Runs great as long as it doesn't shut down, I have a UPS plugged into it to keep it alive. Don't know what power supply but I'm sure it's probably only a couple hundred watts. Windows 7.

11 years. Runs great as long as I don't shut it down, takes hours to repair scan every time I do.

Check device manager and see if you have any exclamation points by any hardware listed.

Did you uninstall the optical drive in device manager before yanking it? If the device drivers are still in the system and the system is expecting to see the DVD drive, you could run into some problems. Did you set the device precedence right in the BIOS?

Did you have an improper shut down after you put in the new drive?

Does it run better when you take the new drive back out? Check that.

If that junk doesn't tell you anything, get to a Command prompt and run it as administrator. Do these in order:

Actually, look up these commands before you do them so you know what it is you're doing. But I promise, I've used them without any problems.

Code:
    Only registered members can view code.
    Code:
    Only registered members can view code.
    Those might not work for Windows 7. If they don't, let me know. I'll hunt down the commands you need.

If you can, get to Windows update after all that and look for security patches. I know support has ended for Windows 7, but check anyway.

Try and reboot after all that.

Press Windows+E on your keyboard. Go to "This PC" on the left hand side. Right-click on your local disk and select "Properties". Go to "Tools" and under Error Checking, click on "Check". Do it for every drive.

Have you tried taking everything out except for the Mobo, CPU, RAM, and PSU, turning it on and getting some readings from the BIOS as you start adding stuff back in, one device at a time?

Exactly how big is the PSU? Crack it open and look for the info. You can never have too big a power supply. Mine's around 1000W, but in reality, I probably only need 350-400W. If it runs great with a UPS but crappy without it, your PCU might not be enough. Or is the UPS the only way you can get the machine to power on at all? Can't plug the machine directly into the wall alone?

Sorry to say this, but you need to stop using Windows 7 and either upgrade to 10, or get some flavor of Linux on that machine. 7's not supported any more and you're basically in the Wild West of computing now. If there's a security issue, MS isn't going to fix it.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 12-08-2022 at 06:10 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Pony (12-08-2022)