Page 284 of 303 FirstFirst ... 184 234 274 282 283 284 285 286 294 ... LastLast
Results 4,246 to 4,260 of 4542

Thread: What's the last thing you bought?

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post

www.meater.com

Just got it in the mail yesterday. Bought a prime rib roast for Christmas and going to test drive it on that. Kinda hoping it works as well as advertised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    You lucky dog.. I want one of those too.!
    I'm really looking forward to trying it out. I'll let you know how it goes with the roast.
    Hell yeah.. please do..!
    Well, cooked the prime rib yesterday and took this bad boy out for the initial trial. A bit of a learning curve with it as some of the instructions are on the vague sign. When you insert the thermometer and go through the cook prep on the app (it guides you through the type of protein (pork, beef, chicken, etc and then through the various cuts), it gives you two temps, the internal of the meat and the ambient outside temp of the environment. It also says "estimating cook time". Got the oven pre-heated and put the roast in. The ambient temp went up quickly, but always stayed below what the temp the oven was set at, which concerned me that our oven might not be working right. Searched the site and it said that it give the accurate temp at the location of the probe sticking out from the meat and that non-convection type ovens have 'cold spots' in them and that it shouldn't be too concerning.

It took a fair amount of time for the estimated cooking time to actually generate a number. The interior of the meat started at 44° (I took the roast from the fridge about 2 hours prior to cooking to help bring it up in temp to make it cook better/more evenly as it was an almost 6 lb roast) and it didn't generate an estimated time for about 30 to 40 minutes after the roast was in the over and the interior temp of the roast was in the mid 50's range. The estimated time is always adjusting which was good because the first time it generated seemed waaaaaaaaay too long. But it adjusted itself based on the interior temp of the roast. You can set a "5 minute warning" where the app will let you know that you are about 5 minutes away from pulling the roast from the oven. We were going for medium rare which is an interior temp of about 135° and the app had me pull the roast at about 125° and then gave me a resting time. That time will also fluctuate based on the interior temp of the roast. took between 15 and 20 minutes of rest time for the temp to reach 135° and we were ready to dig in.

Cut into the roast and even the end cut was still on the pink-ish side which is hard to achieve because obviously the ends get more heat for a longer amount of time. The farther we cut into it, it was pretty close to a perfect medium rare. Maybe could have cut into it closer to 130° as I like my meat a lot closer to rare than medium rare, but I have to say, for my first go around with it, I'm pretty impressed with it. Took almost all the guesswork out of how long to cook the roast. I have a pork roast in the fridge for next weekend and will be trying it out again on that one and see how it goes, but so far, I really like it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

KevinD (12-20-2021), lost in melb. (12-20-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Well, cooked the prime rib yesterday and took this bad boy out for the initial trial. A bit of a learning curve with it as some of the instructions are on the vague sign. When you insert the thermometer and go through the cook prep on the app (it guides you through the type of protein (pork, beef, chicken, etc and then through the various cuts), it gives you two temps, the internal of the meat and the ambient outside temp of the environment. It also says "estimating cook time". Got the oven pre-heated and put the roast in. The ambient temp went up quickly, but always stayed below what the temp the oven was set at, which concerned me that our oven might not be working right. Searched the site and it said that it give the accurate temp at the location of the probe sticking out from the meat and that non-convection type ovens have 'cold spots' in them and that it shouldn't be too concerning.

It took a fair amount of time for the estimated cooking time to actually generate a number. The interior of the meat started at 44° (I took the roast from the fridge about 2 hours prior to cooking to help bring it up in temp to make it cook better/more evenly as it was an almost 6 lb roast) and it didn't generate an estimated time for about 30 to 40 minutes after the roast was in the over and the interior temp of the roast was in the mid 50's range. The estimated time is always adjusting which was good because the first time it generated seemed waaaaaaaaay too long. But it adjusted itself based on the interior temp of the roast. You can set a "5 minute warning" where the app will let you know that you are about 5 minutes away from pulling the roast from the oven. We were going for medium rare which is an interior temp of about 135° and the app had me pull the roast at about 125° and then gave me a resting time. That time will also fluctuate based on the interior temp of the roast. took between 15 and 20 minutes of rest time for the temp to reach 135° and we were ready to dig in.

Cut into the roast and even the end cut was still on the pink-ish side which is hard to achieve because obviously the ends get more heat for a longer amount of time. The farther we cut into it, it was pretty close to a perfect medium rare. Maybe could have cut into it closer to 130° as I like my meat a lot closer to rare than medium rare, but I have to say, for my first go around with it, I'm pretty impressed with it. Took almost all the guesswork out of how long to cook the roast. I have a pork roast in the fridge for next weekend and will be trying it out again on that one and see how it goes, but so far, I really like it.
    Nice report..!! I have a Thermo-works unit that does an internal temp, but no ambient temp.. It's probe is wired to a base unit as well.

https://www.thermoworks.com/bluedot/

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I like the wireless tech plus the app that does all the timing for you. It really did come out close to perfect.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Muddy (12-20-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    The Bearded Butchers used one a couple weeks ago @ 15:30

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Registration renewal for my truck: $190
    Crikey..!
    Registration fees in Colorado are fucking stupid. It was around $600 when I first bought it. Now 5 years later it's still almost $200.
    That's god damn nuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I paid $360.

(for two year renewals on three vehicles)

The itemized breakdown of the stupid registration fees here.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (12-21-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts

The itemized breakdown of the stupid registration fees here.
    Christ. Why on earth would you need to know all that.

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    vehicle excise duty

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Ordered a new laptop, a little Dell XPS 13" on sale $300 off. Only downside is a 6-7 week wait time, which seems kinda long for a pre-built laptop. Did a fair bit of research though and it's the one I've wanted for a while so looking forward to it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (03-02-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Options as a Strategic Investment by Lawrence G. McMillan

Christ, this book is huge. I don't even have a dictionary this big.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Godfather (02-05-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    That's a heavy book to delve into, I'll be curious to hear your review, please mention me when you finish it! With your background it sounds like you're someone who actually could succeed with options trading. Scares the shit out of me still.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Ordered a new laptop, a little Dell XPS 13" on sale $300 off. Only downside is a 6-7 week wait time, which seems kinda long for a pre-built laptop. Did a fair bit of research though and it's the one I've wanted for a while so looking forward to it.
    Sweet. I was tossing up between that and my HP spectre for a long time. May I ask which colour you went for?

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    An unbelievable evolution in sound quality. I just can't believe how stunningly good this sounds. I would say convincingly almost as good as a 3 or 4,000 DAP (DIGITAL AUDIO PLAYER). Not much bigger than a matchbox.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts
    New transmission and 4 tires for the truck. $6000.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    New transmission and 4 tires for the truck. $6000.

That's twice what my entire car is worth

20. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

KevinD (03-04-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Holy smokes..!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

KevinD (03-04-2022)