Page 237 of 303 FirstFirst ... 137 187 227 235 236 237 238 239 247 287 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,555 of 4542

Thread: What's the last thing you bought?

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post

My insurance renewal just came in and it's going up. Again. $1545 for 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Time to switch insurance companies, look for the lower rate.
    That sounds really high for one vehicle. We pay just over $1000 for 6 months for 2 vehicles and mine has commercial coverage. Comprehensive on both, a 2014 and a 2016.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    I pay about $1,800 a year for pleasure use of my 2005 mazda3 with $2mil liability, collision and comp, 15 years clean driving. Our province has the highest rates in the country... DGX's premium sounds like a dream.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    I have:

$50K/$100K body injury liability
    $30K property liability
    $1K medical payments
    Uninsured motorist BI add-on $50K/$100K Non-Ded
    Uninsured Motorist PD add-on $30K w/ $250 Ded
    Comprehensive $250 Ded (because I live in hurricane country... technically, I'm not required to carry it by GA law)

For my vehicle's age, I'm actually over-paying for extra coverage beyond minimum GA requirements, but I know how people drive around here, and I know if I drop to minimum requirements, somebody's gonna slam into me and I'll be screwed. Also, if I drop comprehensive, a hurricane will sweep through and miss everything except for that one really heavy tree branch from 5 miles away that falls on my car. That's just the kind of luck I have.

I've got AAA, so I don't bother with road side services through my insurance company. My insurance company treats every road side service call as a claim and they raise insurance rates when you use it. I found that out several years ago when my battery died in my driveway and I called the insurance road side service to get a jump start. They jacked my premium up by like $80. Pissed me off like you wouldn't believe. So I dropped the insurance roadside, signed up with AAA and bought a portable rechargeable jump starter that I've used once since I bought it.... on somebody else's car. It works great though.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 04-27-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

KevinD (04-28-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I pay about $1,800 a year for pleasure use of my 2005 mazda3 with $2mil liability, collision and comp, 15 years clean driving. Our province has the highest rates in the country... DGX's premium sounds like a dream.
    I pay 100 month, full coverage, 2 million liability on a 2014 vehicle with a clean driving record. Most American premiums sound like a dream comparatively.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Digitech Freqout Dynamic Feedback creator pedal. Find Pete Thorn's demo of it on Youtube, it's unreal.

Anyway, ProAudioStar was offering it for $70 brand new on eBay (it actually costs $180 new). I don't know why it was discounted so low, but I don't care either. Apparently, the seller has a bunch of them. Maybe they're having trouble moving them and just want to unload? I've bought a bunch of stuff off of him/her/them before, and they have a great rating and I have no complaints, so I'm not overly concerned. Anyway, I checked my credit card rewards and found that I had enough points to get a $50 eBay gift card, so I did.

The pedal costs $180 new. Total cost to me after a deep discount and a gift card: $25 (with taxes included).

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

KevinD (05-04-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I pay 100 month, full coverage, 2 million liability on a 2014 vehicle with a clean driving record. Most American premiums sound like a dream comparatively.
    Truth. I do notice though that they seem to carry much lower liability limits. I know from talking to folks who work at ICBC that they get a claim every couple years that exceed $5 million. If you have a fuck-up and cream a fancy car carrying a doctor, lawyer and their two kids, financially you're fucked without decent policy limits. Some people used to tell me when I was a broker and advised them that the $200,000 minimum liability limit wasn't considered enough by the insurer (I had to tell them that for the record), they'd respond: "whatever I'll just file for bankruptcy I'm not worth anything." But that's presuming the courts just let you off that easily and don't instead decide to garnish your wages for life.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Here's the policy coverages we have and that premium is for 6 months (it's the same on both vehicles). Plus we carry a $1,000,000 umbrella liability policy over and above what we have for auto insurance. That's an additional $273/year.

As far as minimums go, it's ridiculously low and stupid, another reason why you need to carry high coverages in case you get into an accident with someone that doesn't carry enough. The state minimum for liability in Colorado is only $25,000 per person for bodily injury. $50,000 per accident for bodily injury. $15,000 per accident for property damage.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Truth. I do notice though that they seem to carry much lower liability limits. I know from talking to folks who work at ICBC that they get a claim every couple years that exceed $5 million. If you have a fuck-up and cream a fancy car carrying a doctor, lawyer and their two kids, financially you're fucked without decent policy limits. Some people used to tell me when I was a broker and advised them that the $200,000 minimum liability limit wasn't considered enough by the insurer (I had to tell them that for the record), they'd respond: "whatever I'll just file for bankruptcy I'm not worth anything." But that's presuming the courts just let you off that easily and don't instead decide to garnish your wages for life.

Here's the policy coverages we have and that premium is for 6 months (it's the same on both vehicles). Plus we carry a $1,000,000 umbrella liability policy over and above what we have for auto insurance. That's an additional $273/year.

As far as minimums go, it's ridiculously low and stupid, another reason why you need to carry high coverages in case you get into an accident with someone that doesn't carry enough. The state minimum for liability in Colorado is only $25,000 per person for bodily injury. $50,000 per accident for bodily injury. $15,000 per accident for property damage.
    Old boss's wife was in insurance for 40 years. He always used the example - what happens if you rear end a bus full of orphans and nuns and every person claims injury?

Extreme but it does make you think. Up here two million liability is common for most policies and one million used to be standard.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You'd be surprised just how many people run with the state minimum liability only insurance.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You'd be surprised just how many people run with the state minimum liability only insurance.
    Up here I think it's still a little different in terms of most of us have insurance because it's the law I've heard that some people in the States still feel it's an option. Not sure if that's still true.

Years back cops used to stop us and if your car wasn't registered they would give us a 400 dollar fine. They've lessened that particular fine and give us 24 hours to produce.

But it's still all tied together. You can't register a car without having insurance first.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Up here I think it's still a little different in terms of most of us have insurance because it's the law I've heard that some people in the States still feel it's an option. Not sure if that's still true.

Years back cops used to stop us and if your car wasn't registered they would give us a 400 dollar fine. They've lessened that particular fine and give us 24 hours to produce.

But it's still all tied together. You can't register a car without having insurance first.
    Nope, insurance is required by law here as well. And you can't get your registration here without proof of insurance either.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (05-06-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Nope, insurance is required by law here as well. And you can't get your registration here without proof of insurance either.
    One of the best things they ever did here was basically rolling insurance up with registration. You buy and sign for both on the same piece of paper essentially, so they're one in the same as far as most people are concerned. Seems to make sense to allow/force the insurer to just issue both at the same time for licensed road vehicles I think in some places you still have to make two difference stops to get registration then insurance? What a pain in the dick.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Plus we carry a $1,000,000 umbrella liability policy over and above what we have for auto insurance. That's an additional $273/year.

Smart man. Umbrella policies are awesome. And I'd bet you have your homeowner's policy on there too as well as any toys you might have (boat, ATV, trailer, etc)? A lot of people overlook that option but it can save you a fair bit, and in some cases might even offers broader protection that can 'drop down' if the underlying layer won't cover something.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Apologies if I'm completely ignorant of how shit works in Canada, but is your registration costs controlled by the federal/national/country government or your individual Province's government? Ours are controlled by the individual states.

Actually that's a bad way to put things. Our insurances are state-based, meaning we can't buy a policy in another state other than the one we live in. I can't buy insurance from a company in Colorado, and Lance can't buy his insurance from a company in Georgia. It's not really controlled by the state. The states don't control how much shit costs, for the most part, it's still a free market, although state laws will effect the cost of things.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 05-07-2019 at 05:38 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

Check your credit card perks. You might be able to get rid of your rental reimbursement coverage. My credit card has an allowance for rentals as a perk.

Also, my credit union has a $10000 Death and Dismemberment policy that I took advantage of. Didn't cost me anything. A perk of my credit union. You may want to check into your bank/credit union perks.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 05-07-2019 at 05:16 AM.