Thread: Something I am pondering...

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

Philosophy Something I am pondering...

So today I was on facebook and something someone said in a post to a person we both are friended to caught my eye.

I do not know this person, and they wrote only a single sentence, what is basically unimportant...

But, it really caught my eye, and I sent a lengthy message to them containing most of the text from an essay I wrote about pacifism. One that includes the phrase 'lowly niggers'. The reason is unimportant, but just to satisfy any curiosity on the matter I was discussing Martin Luther King and the attitudes exhibited by many of his detractors.

So...I paused for a moment before sending this email. Why? Because the fellow I was sending it to is black.

I sent it, but I did pause...

I stopped and thought, is sending 'lowly niggers' wise under this context? I would not have asked myself that question if he had been white, or say, Mexican, Indian, or Chinese. But he was black and I paused.

So I am pondering, is my caution motivated by awareness of history and such situational factors...or, is there a hint of racism in it? It's not a hate form of racism to be sure, but, was it some other form of racism that made me cautious?

As I said in the title, something I am pondering.
    Behold my signature~!!

Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    Fuck you hippy
    Pippa~!!
    The horse does not eat cucumber salad.
    I think everyone in my world, the normal world, knows that Mark Levin and Hannity are relevant only to the angriest, most bitter Americans. (Alec Baldwin)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    "...The reason is unimportant"

You saw someone make a one sentence Facebook post and he's related to you by one degree of separation in Facebook-land? (You're friends with Bill and Bill is friends with Frank, but you're not friends with Frank and Frank made the post on Bill's page?)

If we don't know the context or the reason as to why you'd send an essay to a black fellow containing negative intolerant references to MLK, you're pretty much outside the Klan looking in at this point brother

*btw, it took considerable strength and courage just to open this thread..seeing that title..knowing who the author was..felt like jumping on a live grenade that may or may not detonate.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    "...The reason is unimportant"

You saw someone make a one sentence Facebook post and he's related to you by one degree of separation in Facebook-land? (You're friends with Bill and Bill is friends with Frank, but you're not friends with Frank and Frank made the post on Bill's page?)

If we don't know the context or the reason as to why you'd send an essay to a black fellow containing negative intolerant references to MLK, you're pretty much outside the Klan looking in at this point brother

*btw, it took considerable strength and courage just to open this thread..seeing that title..knowing who the author was..felt like jumping on a live grenade that may or may not detonate.
    What no, I idolize King and the article is about that...why I feel he represents the height of bravery...the reference to lowly niggers lies entirely in how certain people in that time saw him...the inhuman, inhumane views they kept of the man.
    Behold my signature~!!

Fuck you hippy
    Pippa~!!
    I think everyone in my world, the normal world, knows that Mark Levin and Hannity are relevant only to the angriest, most bitter Americans. (Alec Baldwin)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I got that part, the negative intolerant references implies that I don't agree with them.
    Anywhoodle, sending any wall of text that contains an opinion to someone that you don't really know is a dicey proposition no matter what the color.

It's Facebook ffs, can't you just play the cheesy new D&D game or click 'like' to 1000 assorted things you read so everyone on your contact list gets some asinine message on their feeds saying - Joey liked this ?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Of course you paused, it's the world we grew up in unfortunately.If the word was used by the people you mention, the folks who didn't care for brother King, it wasn't a direct statement from your mouth or a slight aimed at Frank.He should understand.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I got that part, the negative intolerant references implies that I don't agree with them.
    Anywhoodle, sending any wall of text that contains an opinion to someone that you don't really know is a dicey proposition no matter what the color.

It's Facebook ffs, can't you just play the cheesy new D&D game or click 'like' to 1000 assorted things you read so everyone on your contact list gets some asinine message on their feeds saying - Joey liked this ?
    Well, I actually wrote about that too...I told him I was sending him all of this as a sort of...way to explain myself a bit and why what he wrote really struck a chord with me. I also made it clear that usually people don't catch my eye like that.

I'm really curious as to what about him made him post what he did...I sensed a rare deepness in him, though obviously, one line could not really be any guarantee of that. But, if you don't ask, you'll never know.

But hey, I might as well fail at twitter and facebook too, why just fail at forums right? I'm the trifecta of internet inappropriateness!

Ironically...the only reason I posted this here was because of my philosophical and introspective self doubt. Not about my failed facebook follies.
    Behold my signature~!!

Fuck you hippy
    Pippa~!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I heard an old truck driver use the word Chink...a word I hadn't heard in a long time.He had blatant problems with Asian people and tried to tell me a few stories.This guy would be the opposite of you.Make sense?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
    Well, I actually wrote about that too...I told him I was sending him all of this as a sort of...way to explain myself a bit and why what he wrote really struck a chord with me. I also made it clear that usually people don't catch my eye like that.

I'm really curious as to what about him made him post what he did...I sensed a rare deepness in him, though obviously, one line could not really be any guarantee of that. But, if you don't ask, you'll never know.

But hey, I might as well fail at twitter and facebook too, why just fail at forums right? I'm the trifecta of internet inappropriateness!

Ironically...the only reason I posted this here was because of my philosophical and introspective self doubt. Not about my failed facebook follies.
    You express yourself fine and are a deep, committed writer.Stop the trifecta failure talk you dumb cracker and find out what Frank thinks about your thoughts on him.Give him a chance.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I heard an old truck driver use the word Chink...a word I hadn't heard in a long time.He had blatant problems with Asian people and tried to tell me a few stories.This guy would be the opposite of you.Make sense?
    It does, but...is it caution or racism that makes me look at a black guy and question if I can send him that essay? BTW, check your PM'S.

PMS, snigger.
    Behold my signature~!!

Fuck you hippy
    Pippa~!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
    It does, but...is it caution or racism that makes me look at a black guy and question if I can send him that essay? BTW, check your PM'S.

PMS, snigger.
    It's the world we grew up in that gives you pause.You're the same as me.No matter how conditioned or comfortable we get using that word, it's origins marginalized and objectified an entire race to become a thing, not a person.I've had a black guy say to me at work - Hey nigga, you gotta stop working so hard.Even the brothas singing in the field got a break I don't know how to respond to that because a black guy simultaneously shocked me, welcomed me to a restricted brotherhood and complimented me...referring to the way I was working that day.The word is part of our culture, I think it should be part of our history...that's a large difference in my eyes.But his ain't about my reservations.You felt you needed to throw down some hardcore info at a guy you don't know.If he doesn't think you're gay...he'll probably appreciate your compliment about his apparent depth.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It's the world we grew up in that gives you pause.You're the same as me.No matter how conditioned or comfortable we get using that word, it's origins marginalized and objectified an entire race to become a thing, not a person.I've had a black guy say to me at work - Hey nigga, you gotta stop working so hard.Even the brothas singing in the field got a break I don't know how to respond to that because a black guy simultaneously shocked me, welcomed me to a restricted brotherhood and complimented me...referring to the way I was working that day.The word is part of our culture, I think it should be part of our history...that's a large difference in my eyes.But his ain't about my reservations.You felt you needed to throw down some hardcore info at a guy you don't know.If he doesn't think you're gay...he'll probably appreciate your compliment about his apparent depth.
    Well this guy probably is gay, he posted about being sexually ambiguous on his profile.
    Behold my signature~!!

Fuck you hippy
    Pippa~!!

I might be losing it... Softdreamer's Avatar
    behind the 2 way mirror in your bathroom.
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    He is black AND gay??

I wouldnt worry about your message, he probably wont get to read it, as he is probably hanging from a tree already

come back to my place, I'll show you how to drink tequila.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I agree with Hal, as long as he's realizing you're quoting someone I don't think he'll get too offended. As far as whether it's racism or caution. I'd say both. Again like Hal said the culture we've grown up in has made you and everyone else be very cautious when talking about matters like these. And it's not you that I'm saying is racist, it's that word itself. It's a racist word no matter what the context and no matter who is saying it black or white. So you don't want to be coming off as racist when you use it no matter what the situation.

If he doesn't think you're gay...he'll probably appreciate your compliment about his apparent depth.
    that might be asking a lot

I am fixed

"Somedays I wake up and feel like nobody loves me. Other days I wake up and feel like I love nobody. Sometimes I wake up and feel tired, and worn out. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I cannot face the day. But someday I'll wake up and realize that waking up is pretty stupid because it just makes you feel like crap."

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob034 View Post
    I agree with Hal, as long as he's realizing you're quoting someone I don't think he'll get too offended. As far as whether it's racism or caution. I'd say both. Again like Hal said the culture we've grown up in has made you and everyone else be very cautious when talking about matters like these. And it's not you that I'm saying is racist, it's that word itself. It's a racist word no matter what the context and no matter who is saying it black or white. So you don't want to be coming off as racist when you use it no matter what the situation.

that might be asking a lot
    Yes, but I was quoting something I actually wrote lol.
    Behold my signature~!!

Fuck you hippy
    Pippa~!!