#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Eddie Murphy Quits Job as Academy Awards Host

By Zach Johnson - Us Weekly

Next year's Oscar nominations have yet to be announced, but if its behind-the-scenes shakeups are any indication, it's going to be quite the show.

On Wednesday, Eddie Murphy stepped down as host of the 84th Academy Awards, Us Weekly can confirm. The actor's announcement comes one day after Tower Heist director Brett Ratner resigned as producer of the program.

"First and foremost, I want to say that I completely understand and support each party's decision with regard to a change of producers for this year's Academy Awards ceremony," Murphy, 50, tells Us in a statement.

"I was truly looking forward to being a part of the show that our production team and writers were just starting to develop, but I'm sure that the new production team and host will do an equally great job."

Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences President Tom Sherak respected Murphy's decision, telling Us: "I appreciate how Eddie feels about losing his creative partner, Brett Ratner, and we all wish him well."

Ratner, 42, recently came under fire for saying "rehearsal is for fags" while promoting Tower Heist. The controversial director also spoke openly about his sex life with actress Olivia Munn, who he claimed to "bang a few times" on the set of After the Sunset. (She denied sleeping with him to further her career.)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    People tell me he used to be funny... and then I look at them like they're crazy. It makes them feel old every time

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    he used to be one of the best

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Who was King of England then?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    The controversial director also spoke openly about his sex life with actress Olivia Munn, who he claimed to "bang a few times" on the set of After the Sunset. (She denied sleeping with him to further her career.)
    I believe she'd do it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts

Oscars bring back Billy Crystal

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Oscar organizers on Thursday brought back funnyman Billy Crystal to host the film awards after recent days of turmoil that led to the departure of one producer and his handpicked emcee Eddie Murphy.

Crystal, who has hosted the widely-watched Hollywood telecast eight times previously, announced his new job on Twitter with a post: "Am doing the Oscars so the young woman in the pharmacy will stop asking my name when I pick up prescriptions. Looking forward to the show."

Tom Sherak, president of The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences that puts on the Oscars, called Crystal "a comic legend and Oscar icon."

"I'm thrilled to welcome Billy back to the Oscar stage," Sherak said.

The announcement follows days of drama at the academy after producer Brett Ratner last week used the gay slur "fags" at a screening of his movie "Tower Heist," which stars Murphy.

His use of the word raised howls from gay rights groups and academy members. He apologized publicly on Monday, but his contrition failed to stem the firestorm. He resigned one day later. Murphy, who had been lured by Ratner to host the Oscar telecast, followed his boss out the door on Wednesday.

The academy responded by hiring "A Beautiful Mind" producer and Hollywood veteran Brian Grazer to replace Ratner, leaving the choice of a host to him.

"Like so many others, I've been eager to see Billy host again. It's very gratifying that he agreed to do it with (co-producer Don Mischer) and me at the helm."

A FAVORITE RETURNS

Crystal, 63, first hosted the show in 1990 when "Driving Miss Daisy" was named the year's best movie, and the awards program was still easily topping 40 million viewers, making it the second-most watched U.S. TV program annually behind professional football's Super Bowl.

The comedian went on to host three more consecutive years, dropped out for two, then returned in 1997 and 1998 when "Titanic" was voted by academy members as the top movie and 57 million people tuned in. He last hosted the show in 2004.

The comedian has been among Oscar watchers' favorite hosts over the years and it seems like every year when hosts disappoint, as did James Franco last year, there have been calls for Crystal to return.

But even before Crystal posted his tweet -- as speculation mounted that he would return -- some Hollywood watchers were questioning whether he could connect with younger movie fans and TV watchers who, in recent years, have had more entertainment options than ever.

Viewership of the Oscar telecast has fallen below the 40 million mark in five of the past six years, rising above it in 2010 when 3D action-adventure "Avatar" was among the most nominated movies. When "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King won best movie, the audience topped 43 million.

But Sherak does not think Crystal is too old to host. When asked that question by showbusiness website TheWrap, he answered "No. Bob Hope did the Oscars in his sixties."

In fact, Hope was the quintessential Oscar host for 19 ceremonies, and an entertainer who, like Crystal, could not only tell jokes, but could sing and put on a top variety act.

The upcoming Oscars for the movies of 2011 will take place on February 26, 2012.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    So in other words, Eddie's nothing without a writer...

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyGut View Post
    So in other words, Eddie's nothing without a writer...
    +1

Thanks to Goofy for my sig

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Oscar organizers on Thursday brought back funnyman Billy Crystal to host the film awards

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I don't watch it - so I really dont care

Thanks to Goofy for my sig

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    God forbid they get someone new or young or actually entertaining

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    Didn't they try James Franco and Anne Hathaway last year? Never watched but I hear they bombed..

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    They should get Mickey Rooney...