Page 1 of 275 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: The NFL thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,889 Times in 11,964 Posts

NFL The NFL thread

This is the place to talk about the gridiron and the pigskin.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    As I said on the other 2 forums: I pick the Steelers over the Packers!...oh and some pointless news () Chad Ochocinco will go back to being called Chad Johnson...He got tired of it I guess

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    There goes my dream of Ochocinco being traded to a team where someone already wears #85

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    David Akers' daughter had cyst removed
    After David Akers missed two kicks in the Philadelphia Eagles' playoff loss to the Green Bay Packers earlier this month, safety Quintin Mikell said his teammate was distracted by an off-field issue.

His agent, Jerrold Colton, said it was a "private family health concern". Akers had been silent on the issue but told The Philadelphia Inquirer in a story that appeared in Sunday's editions that his 6-year-old daughter Halley had a malignant cyst in her left ovary that was removed in the week after the game.

Akers
    "They used the word tumor or cyst or growth," Akers told the newspaper. "And you're like, 'OK, what does that mean?' Cancer is what that means."

Akers' wife, Erika, told the newspaper that she could tell from her seat in the stands at Lincoln Financial Field that her husband's mind wasn't solely on the game against the Packers.

"I could tell he was there doing his job," she told the newspaper. "But he wasn't there."

Akers missed field goals of 41 and 34 yards in the Eagles' 21-16 loss to the Packers.

According to early tests, doctors believe they removed all of the malignant tumor. Halley has to get blood tests each month for the rest of the year and then more tests periodically. Even is she remains cancer-free she likely will also eventually have to have her right ovary removed.

"I think a lot of it is the unknown for us, and still not knowing, still kind of holding on," Akers told the newspaper. "You just don't think this is going to happen to your kid."

Akers, who will be the NFC's kicker in Sunday's Pro Bowl, will be a free agent this offseason.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6073857
    --------------

Kinda of sad. Hope she makes as full of a recovery as she can.

never ran away for the sake of scars!!!

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,082 Times in 59,901 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

Phil Simms threatens Desmond Howard at NFL Experience

By Doug Farrar (Yahoo News)

Apparently, there's one thing you don't want to do if you're going to be anywhere near former New York Giants quarterback and current CBS analyst Phil Simms, and that's to cast aspersions on the playing abilities of his son Matt, who's currently the quarterback at Tennessee. Ex-NFL punt return ace Desmond Howard did so last season in his role as an analyst on ESPN's College Gameday show, and this led to a little go-round between the two former Super Bowl MVPs at the NFL Experience event down in Dallas.

From Howard's Twitter account:

At NFL-Xperience and Phil Simms just threatened 2 hit me b/c I said his son was 1 of the worse QBs in the SEC. I told him "LET'S GO!"less than a minute ago via ÜberTwitterDesmond Howard
    desmond_howard

I am DEAD serious about the Phil Simms thing. We all thought he was joking, but he kept going and said he wanted 2 take a swing at me!!less than a minute ago via ÜberTwitterDesmond Howard
    desmond_howard

During the season we talked about the Tenn v LSU game and I said "u will see 3 of the worse QBs in the SEC" That's what Phil did not like.less than a minute ago via ÜberTwitterDesmond Howard
    desmond_howard

It ended w/police stepping in between so I could continue my appearance w/fans.less than a minute ago via ÜberTwitterDesmond Howard
    desmond_howard

Two things come to mind here. First of all, while it may be natural for Simms to get a bit lit up when people call his son a sub-par player, he needs to understand that in his role as the most highly-regarded color NFL announcer on a major network (an appeal that has always mystified me; Simms gets as much stuff wrong during a telecast as anyone you'll see), he has an obligation to at least give the appearance of professionalism in public settings.

Second, Howard has every right to say whatever he wants about Simms' performance in his capacity as an analyst, and in this case, the younger Simms hasn't exactly set the NCAA on fire. A junior college transfer, Simms threw 113 completions in 195 attempts for 1,460 yards, eight touchdowns, and five interceptions. Not horrible numbers, but he wasn't going to make anyone forget Greg McElroy or Cam Newton. If Howard had said something about Matt Simms that was more personal in nature, especially if it was something libelous, it would be easier to understand. But in this case, and until we hear his side of the story, Simms comes off as a goofball and a fake bully.

And having said all that, I'd better hope Simms doesn't show up at the scouting combine in three weeks and threaten to beat me up. Howard's just lucky Simms didn't have his friend Paulie Walnuts (pictured above) with him at the time!

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    More evidence that Phil Simms is a just douche!!!

I am not a big fan of Simms work as an analyst in general. This is the second time, Simms has taken issue with someone for commenting on one of his sons ability to play football. He called out Steve Young for statements Young said of Chris Simms ablity to play QB on the NFL level
    Last edited by Cactus; 02-06-2011 at 03:04 AM.

never ran away for the sake of scars!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    BUMP

Go Steelers!!!!!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    NFL owners will meet on March 3, the final day of the current collective bargaining agreement.

It is possible the owners will call for a lockout of the players if negotiations with the union are not progressing sufficiently.

All 32 owners are expected to be at the meeting in Fort Lauderdale that follows two days of committee meetings that were previously scheduled.

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith repeatedly has said he expects a lockout. Talks broke down last week in Washington.

The owners opted out of the CBA in 2008.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Irsay: Colts put franchise tag on Manning
    By MICHAEL MAROT, AP Sports Writer

INDIANAPOLIS (AP)—The Indianapolis Colts are keeping Peyton Manning—no matter what it costs.

Manning, the only four-time MVP in league history, has been given the exclusive franchise tag, a move that could cost the Colts $23 million next season. Team owner Jim Irsay announced the decision Tuesday night on Twitter.

“We have placed the franchise tag on Peyton while we continue to negotiate a long term deal,” Irsay wrote.

The move is hardly a surprise.

Last year, Irsay promised to make Manning the NFL’s highest-paid player. He has reiterated that position many times since then with one caveat—if the Colts couldn’t reach a new deal with Manning before free agency started they would use the franchise tag.

The Colts did the same thing in 2004 before eventually agreeing to a seven-year, $98 million deal. The Colts then pulled the tag.

Irsay hasn’t backed down on either promise, and Manning, as he usually does, has remained silent about the contract.

Three weeks ago, the Colts put their first formal proposal on the table. It was an offer Irsay and team president Bill Polian wanted to make last October, but Manning informed the team then, through his agent, that he did not want to start negotiating until after the season.

The current offer is believed to be richer than the four-year, $72 million contract that New England quarterback Tom Brady signed in September. Brady’s contract also included $48.5 million in guaranteed money, and Irsay has called that deal the standard.

“It’s not a normal negotiation, his legacy and our relationship, it’s very unusual,” Irsay said last month.

On Tuesday, Indy decided not to wait any longer to make its decision.

By “tagging” Manning, no other team can negotiate with the Colts’ franchise quarterback.

How critical is Manning to the Colts’ success?

In 13 seasons, he has broken all the franchise’s career records for quarterbacks and has never missed a start. He’s taken Indy to the playoffs 11 times, captured seven AFC South titles in eight years, won two AFC championships, one Super Bowl title and a Super Bowl MVP Award.

And the Colts won more regular-season games in the past decade (115) than any team in NFL history.

The move does free up the Colts to work on other contracts before the collective bargaining agreement expires March 3.

The list of their potential free agents includes running back Joseph Addai, kicker Adam Vinatieri; Charlie Johnson, Manning’s blind side protector; Melvin Bullitt, a key backup at safety who is ready to start; starting linebacker Clint Session and starting defensive tackle Dan Muir.

Irsay also has promised “significant” announcements in the coming weeks.

But, of course, none would be bigger than giving Manning the richest deal in league history in what could be his final NFL contract.

“It’s important,” Irsay said when asked about the importance of reaching a new deal with Manning.

“But it’s something that you don’t totally control, so I think you have to be prepared to work on your roster while you’re doing that. That’s a big part of the equation, but I think you have to be able and ready to shape your roster.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Redskins cut Portis, ends 7 eventful years in DC
    By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer

WASHINGTON (AP)—“Southeast Jerome” is officially gone for good. As well as “Dolla Bill” and “Sheriff Gonna Getcha.”

Clinton Portis was released by the Washington Redskins on Monday, ending a charismatic and sometimes contentious seven-year stay that, for a while at least, made him the face of the franchise.

Injuries and money led to coach Mike Shanahan’s decision. Portis had played in only 13 games over the last two seasons because of a severe concussion in 2009 and a torn groin muscle in 2010.

Portis was scheduled to make $8.3 million next season, and Shanahan made it clear at the NFL combine that the Redskins wouldn’t keep the 29-year-old running back at that price.

“We’re going to let him test the market,” Shanahan said, “and see what’s out there for him.”

Portis told 106.7 The Fan that he was given a chance to restructure his contract, but he said it would be “hard to accept not being the go-guy.”

“It was kind of a mutual decision,” Portis said. “They could have sat and held on and played around. They gave me an opportunity to further my career and go somewhere where I can help.”

Portis is 77 yards of 10,000 career rushing yards and leaves Washington 648 shy of one of his oft-stated goals—Hall of Famer John Riggins’ franchise record.

“If the record meant that much, I think I could stay in D.C. to get it,” Portis said. “Although I wanted it, I don’t think I wanted it bad enough to … continue to endure the area to get it. If John Riggins is the only name you can say did more than me as a Redskins running back, that’s great company to be in. And I’m OK with that.”

Portis will be most remembered for his colorfully productive 2005 season, when he set a franchise single-season rushing record (1,516 yards) and led the team to its first playoff berth in six years while playing dress-up along the way. Every Thursday during the season’s homestretch he would appear in costume, playing a wide range of characters that also included “Bro Sweets” and “Inspector Two-Two.”

Portis is also one who freely speaks his mind, and that frequently got him into trouble over the years. He picked on his offensive line. He derisively called coach Jim Zorn a “genius.” He said female reporters are naturally “going to want somebody” when they see undressed players in the locker room.

He even belittled Riggins, saying the local legend had it easier in the 1980s because it was “really not hard to be a great running back when you’ve got that talent all around you.”

“I always spoke the truth,” Portis said Monday, “and I think that’s bigger to me than the rushing record or the touchdowns or anything else.”

Portis was also profoundly affected by the death of Redskins safety and good friend Sean Taylor in 2007. Both played for the University of Miami.

“Clinton provided excitement from the very first time he touched the ball as a Redskin, and we were lucky to witness every ounce of energy, effort and passion he has given ever since,” Redskins owner Dan Snyder said in a statement released by the team. “We have been through a lot both on and off of the field and we would like to wish him and his family the very best.”

Portis played in only five games in 2010 before the groin injury ended his season. He rushed for a career-low 227 yards on 54 carries with two touchdowns.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Micheal Vick signs a 1-year contract...and the CBA ends tonight...could get ugly

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    America's favourite sport is still in business -- for another day.

The NFL and the players' union decided Thursday to keep the current collective bargaining agreement in place for an additional 24 hours so that negotiations can continue.

"The parties have agreed to a one-day extension," federal mediator George Cohen said in a one-sentence statement after the sides met with him for about eight hours. The CBA was set to expire at midnight, which would likely have prompted the first work stoppage since 1987 for a league that rakes in US$9 billion a year.

"For all our fans who dig our game, we appreciate your patience as we work through this," union executive director DeMaurice Smith said as he emerged from the talks. "We are going to keep working. We want to play football."

Said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell as he left: "We are working as hard as we can."

Allowing the CBA to expire could put the two sides on the road to a year without football, even though opening kickoff of the 2011 season is still six months away. The labour unrest comes as the NFL is at the height of its popularity, breaking records for TV ratings: This year's Super Bowl was the most-watched program in U.S. history.

If the CBA expires, the owners could lock out the players, and the union could decertify to try and prevent that through the courts -- something the NFLPA did in 1989. It formed again in 1993.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    I'd be shocked if any games are missed in this whole thing...