Page 166 of 275 FirstFirst ... 66 116 156 164 165 166 167 168 176 216 266 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,490 of 4113

Thread: The NFL thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I've decided Fox is a bad idea for Chicago, but it sounds like it may go that way. If we are going to hire a 61 year old Denver reject, isn't Shanahan at 62 the more proven winner?

Do you trust the guy as a head coach, Lance?

In better news: Jordan Lynch signs with CFL's Eskimos! Back at QB!
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Shanahan is a tyrant who wants iron-fisted control of things. After Elway and Terrell Davis retired after winning the 2 consecutive Super Bowls, Shanahan won a grand total of 1 playoff game in the next 8 or 9 years that he was here. He also cannot draft to save his life.

Fox on the other hand, is a players coach and does seem to be a really good guy. He also turns teams around rather quickly. His biggest drawback and one that is infuriating is that he is just too conservative on play calling on offense when things are close or on the line. Other than that, I liked him and thought he did a good job for the most part in Denver. But, someone had to take the fall for the recent ineptitude of the Broncos in the playoffs and it was always going to be the head coach.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-15-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...ent/ar-AA8cCKT

Fox is your new coach, RBP... according to this article.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 01-15-2015 at 08:49 PM.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    As of 5:00 they hadn't announced it yet. Haven't looked since, just got home.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Funny, MSN called it a done deal purely based on that one dude's tweet. The Bear's site said nothing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-16-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    yeah it's been speculated all day. I'm okay with whatever Pace decides but I am lukewarm on him so far.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    All quiet on the John Fox front? Nothing to worry about just yet

If your memory has grown hazy, the YouTube clip is still out there as a refresher, documenting the embarrassing twist from a bungled Chicago Bears coaching search from late in the 20th century.

Dave Wannstedt had been fired after the 1998 season and Dave McGinnis was preparing to become the team’s new head coach.

Until he wasn’t.

On a January day in 1999, the Bears were so ready to introduce McGinnis as their new coach that they announced his hiring before it was official. So in a bizarre and chaotic chain of events, plans changed just a tad. For McGinnis. For the Bears.

Rather than an enthusiastic introductory press conference at Halas Hall, there was instead a media chase to track McGinnis down at O’Hare International Airport. He wasn’t going to be the Bears coach any longer. And he was on his way out of town.

“Obviously,” McGinnis said, “we couldn’t reach an agreement. I mean it started (when) there was an announcement made obviously before we had agreed to any terms. And then it went downhill from there.”

And as former local sports anchor Brad Palmer said of the episode that day, “It’s going to be a while before the Bears can make the nightmare disappear. This once proud franchise has become the laughingstock, not only of the city, but of the National Football League.”

None of this is to say that the Bears are headed for a similar embarrassment with their current coaching search. And none of this is to suggest that what happened to McGinnis could also happen to John Fox, the former Denver Broncos and Carolina Panthers head coach who swung through Lake Forest on Wednesday to interview for the Bears’ head coaching job.

Fox remains the frontrunner to become the organization’s 15th head coach. And, as of Thursday afternoon, there were strong indications from those familiar with the process that a union between Fox and the Bears was still likely.

But as of Thursday afternoon, there was also no finalized deal to report.

And even if Fox was just coaching the Broncos as recently as last Sunday in the playoffs and even though his interview with the Bears only came Wednesday at Halas Hall, the lack of an announced hire had started to make some eager fans edgy. Within a success-starved fan base that certainly has plenty of scar tissue still present from the McGinnis episode as well as a long stretch of relative irrelevance in the Super Bowl conversation, a fear factor had crept in. Could the Bears really let a big fish get away at such a critical time?

Again, according to sources, Fox still registers as the team’s top choice to become the new coach. But until contract negotiations are completed, until a deal is signed and rubber-stamped, until every line of fine print is written and read, there will be no word from either side to make a hiring official.

So stay tuned.

It’s worth noting that both Fox and the Bears would seem to have plenty of incentive to get something done. The Bears, of course, would look foolish if they let a coach with 119 regular season victories and two Super Bowl appearances get away at a time when they need just the kind of energy boost that Fox can provide. And Fox, for what it’s worth, will certainly take note of the number of other head coaching vacancies still out there elsewhere around the NFL: Two.

One of those is in Denver, the organization that Fox split from on Monday. And the other is in Atlanta, where the Falcons are reportedly pushing to land Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn.

In other words, leverage will quickly become a factor and produce a bit of a staring contest between the Bears and Fox. And until someone blinks, until a deal is finalized and an announcement ready, Bears fans and the city of Chicago will have to tolerate the uncomfortable sounds of silence.

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    yall know goddam well Bryant made that catch - the refs botched things once again by using the obviously incorrect "he didnt make any discernible football move" horseshit as their justification for calling it not a catch.

really?

you mean catching, switching hands, getting a hand on the defender, taking 3 steps in the process, and lunging the football forward all does somehow NOT constitute "a football move?"

get that bet ass ref correction bullshit out of here. since he made not one not two but at least 3 "football moves," thats beyond a reasonable doubt that "possession was established" and thus the "going to the ground" was of a runner's nature and not in the act of making a reception -

DALLAS ball at the 1 yard line, as was the call on the field iirc.

And I was rooting for green bay.

overturns should happen on a reasonable doubt, not a whim, or where the big money is on a given game. they shouldnt be overturned with no obvious reason, or no reason at all, like the whole reason Dallas was even at the game this week to begin with.
    Last edited by FBD; 01-16-2015 at 04:49 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    And you're totally incorrect. But welcome back.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Now they're saying Fox is going to be hired but they're negotiating.

Why don't they just wait until the Bears are ready to announce that the bastard is actually hired before they report anything?

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    just because the league decided to enshrine a bastardization they needed to implement when the right team needed to win, forever changing the game....doesnt mean its right.

those fucks hacked the game so it makes things like this even easier, making the gray area that much wider and more substantial, the refs have that much more room to maneuver to call a game for the big money when it counts.

I dont care everyone saying *holds nose* "well that's the rule and that's how they changed it so it doesnt matter if you dont like it"

fuck you, the nfl is ruining the game and its getting to the point where I'm starting to just not like the game because the refs cant stay the fuck out of any game that has a significant amount of money on the line.

whether it was the refs helping the ravens beat the steelers, or the cowboys beat the lions, and the packers defeat the cowboys...they take every fkn opportunity they find.

but sometimes there's no room for the refs to fuck with a game and nothing happens that's vague enough, like the colts broncos game.

fuck the rigged ass nfl.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'm glad you agree that the call followed the league rules.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post