Thread: The NFL thread

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,082 Times in 59,901 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    I'd be shocked if any games are missed in this whole thing...
    Hard to say

You know, I actually come out on the side of the owners in this one. If these athletes are so 'mistreated and underpaid' then maybe they should try using their college degree and get a real job. It's hard to feel sympathy for someone that makes more in one game than I can make in 5 or even 10 years in some cases

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Sure they are paid millions...but lets look at it this way...its a fight between millionaires and BILLIONAIRES ...and the whole "I'd be shocked if any games are missed in the whole thing"...the NHL missed an entire SEASON for the same thing...new CBA.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The only thing I side with the owners is a rookie pay cap. You shouldn't get millions of dollars when you haven't played a single snap in the NFL.

I am fixed

"Somedays I wake up and feel like nobody loves me. Other days I wake up and feel like I love nobody. Sometimes I wake up and feel tired, and worn out. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I cannot face the day. But someday I'll wake up and realize that waking up is pretty stupid because it just makes you feel like crap."

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'd assume that it will happen...just like the NHL...BTW they extended the negociation for another week...both sides seem to want to end it the right way...

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    I'd be shocked if any games are missed in this whole thing...
    The NFL players' union has decertified, making the league's first work stoppage since 1987 a near certainty.

After 16 days of mediated talks with the NFL, the sides could not reach agreement on a new deal. The current one expires at the end of Friday and the league could lock out its players.

By decertifying, the union has cleared the way for individual players to file antitrust lawsuits against the NFL, which opted out of the CBA in 2008. It has renounced its right to represent the players in contract bargaining.

The CBA was due to expire a week ago and was extended twice.

The union's latest move sets the stage for a lengthy court fight that could potentially threaten the 2011 season.

It looks like you will be shocked.

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,817 Times in 3,932 Posts
    As usual, a lot of these issues have significant components in the area of....misuse of taxpayer funds. Quite a correlation between the extent of players salaries and the amount of public money being funneled into stadiums etc.

http://blogs.forbes.com/warrenmeyer/...onomics-model/

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    How is public money being used for stadiums a misuse of taxpayer funds? When the Broncos wanted to build a new stadium and the owner wanted the public to (mostly) finance the cost of it, it was on the ballot. There was nothing 'hidden' in the ballot measure. I voted against it myself, but unfortunately it passed.

I may not agree with billionaire owners trying to extort money from fans by threatening to move a team if they don't pony up for a new stadium, but there is nothing wrong in principal with putting it on the ballot for people to vote on.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    In fact, all of that is why I have great respect for Stan Kroenke who owns the Nuggets, Avalanche, and Rapids here in Denver. When he wanted new stadiums for his teams, he didn't ask the public or threaten to move the franchises if we didn't give in and give him public funds to build with...he fully funded the Pepsi Center and the Rapids new stadium with all his own money. That's the way it's supposed to be done.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    unfortunately more of an exception rather than the rule

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oh no doubt....we have the exact opposite of him here in town too in Pat Bowlen of the Broncos. Not only did he threaten to move the franchise if the ballot measure for the new stadium failed, he also made sure in the wording that he gets the biggest cut of the parking and a huge cut of all concession sales (concessions were contracted out at the old Mile High and the Broncos didn't get much, if anything from it).

And on top of it, he raised ticket prices a few times after the new stadium was built.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    taxpayer subsideez', helpin pay yo salareez'

....basically I was just pointing out that distorted incentives produce distorted results. beneficial for players and owners, not so much most of the time for taxpayers. when you make a habit of laying down and spreading to get what you want, everyone is simply going to expect you to lay down and spread if they have something you want.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    So the owners voted to move the kickoff from the 30 to the 35 yard line

Why even have kickoffs at all then? Just spot the ball at the 20 yard line for 1st down at the start of the possession

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    So the owners voted to move the kickoff from the 30 to the 35 yard line

Why even have kickoffs at all then? Just spot the ball at the 20 yard line for 1st down at the start of the possession
    I agree - what a stupid rule change... that costs the Bears a ton in field position with a guy like Hester back there. I imagine though that guys like Hester will still have a green like to receive balls deep in the end zone and bring them out.

hehehehe I said "balls deep in the end zone" hehehehe
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    I agree - what a stupid rule change... that costs the Bears a ton in field position with a guy like Hester back there. I imagine though that guys like Hester will still have a green like to receive balls deep in the end zone and bring them out.
    All depends on the score now I would imagine. In a close game the Bears (for example) wouldn't wanna take a chance of having Hester bring it out from 8 yards deep and take the chance of him getting tackled inside the 10 yard line....or even closer. It is basically going to end kick-off returns and it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    hehehehe I said "balls deep in the end zone" hehehehe

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Just saw an article on ESPN that the owners aren't considering using replacement players like they did back in '87. Maybe they should...I am absolutely sick of listening to the players bitch an moan about how they are getting 'screwed' by the owners. The NFL should try and break the union again like they did in 1987. I guarantee if the owners used replacement players, the regular NFL players would immediately cross the line (or within a couple of weeks at most).