Thread: The NFL thread

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Some people didn't like the 10 second Prince tribute. I thought JT did a fine job with the half time show.

This article was posted before the music stopped. Total twats in my opinion. Sure Prince and JT had some bad blood, but at least he made the effort to recognize Minneapolis' musical hero.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/justin-t...ce-1202278058/
    I thought it was a good performance too, but as in the link you posted, all the "critics" are ripping him on the show. I don't understand.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I thought it was a good performance too, but as in the link you posted, all the "critics" are ripping him on the show. I don't understand.
    I was trying to find some sort of live feed for at least the half time show...I looked at the clock and this a-hole had it posted before the game started again.

Methinks is was pre-written with the slags.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ya it says "5:58 pm" Feb 4th.

Not sure of his location, but that's pretty close to the time the half time show was being performed.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

RBP (02-07-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    So did Minneapolis actually do this or was it added?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Josh McDaniels' Heel Turn Reinforces Patriots' Place as NFL's Supervillains

Mike Freeman - The Bleacher Report

The NFL is now the WWE, and Josh McDaniels, along with the Patriots, has become the top heel.

The Indianapolis Colts announced Tuesday that McDaniels had agreed to become their next head coach, prompting them to call a press conference to introduce him Wednesday, according to Dakota Crawford of the Indianapolis Star. On Tuesday night, McDaniels reversed course and went back to the Patriots, per ESPN's Adam Schefter.

This prompted a league reaction unlike few I've ever seen before. It was fast, vicious and unrelenting. The reaction was also sanctimonious and over-the-top. In other words, it was typical NFL.

"He's a weasel," one NFC assistant coach said of McDaniels.

"Such a gutless thing to do," another NFC assistant said.

"He knows he can't win without Tom Brady," an AFC front office executive said.

Hoo boy. Told you this was rough.

It went on and on and on. "He made me like [Colts owner] Jim Irsay," an NFL source said. An NFC general manager added: "It's easy to mock the Colts, but what Josh did was unprofessional. I know that's not a popular take, but it's true."

Actually, it's highly popular. McDaniels isn't just getting destroyed by NFL personnel; he's also a pariah on social media. He is seen as a coward—that was another way NFL sources described him—and the Patriots are viewed the biggest heels in league history.

Life is always far more layered. Plenty of people get nervous and change their minds about jobs. It's happened, in fact, throughout the Bill Belichick coaching tree. Belichick's mentor, Bill Parcells, agreed to coach the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1991. He then backed out, leading then-owner Hugh Culverhouse to declare he was "jilted at the altar," as Frank Litsky of the New York Times noted at the time.

Josh McDaniels isn't the first head coach candidate to leave a team at the altar. Bill Parcells did the same to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1991.

Belichick agreed to coach the New York Jets in 1999 before having one of the most infamous about-faces in league history. Belichick quit after just one day on the job, writing on a napkin he was resigning as "HC of the NYJ." Classic Belichick.

Now comes this. Perhaps McDaniels discovered something about Andrew Luck's much-discussed shoulder that scared him. Maybe the lack of weapons on defense made him nervous. He may not have wanted to uproot his family.

Regardless, the view of McDaniels appears to have changed irrevocably for the worse. Meanwhile, the view of the Patriots as shady has hardened like a nuclear bunker.

League sources say Patriots owner Robert Kraft played a significant role in McDaniels staying. Kraft still despises the Colts over Deflategate, I'm told.

There are indeed many factors at play, yet none of that really matters. What matters is perception, and the perception is that McDaniels not only took the easy way out, but assured his place in the Heel Hall of Fame.

The constant among the texts and phone calls to me as the news broke was the feeling that McDaniels wouldn't win without Brady. Humans can't see alternate universes (yet), so who knows what McDaniels can or can't do without Brady? But that's still the belief around the league.

Sources around the league feel Josh McDaniels cannot win without Tom Brady.

Yes, it's true, we don't know about Andrew Luck's shoulder, but that would be part of the challenge of going to Indianapolis. Former Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia went to coach the Lions. The Lions. Coaching the Lions is the NFL equivalent of jumping out of a plane without a parachute.

It's stunning how McDaniels changing his mind seems like a storyline ripped straight from professional wrestling. You have a despised but great franchise and an offensive coordinator from that team who agrees to coach a hated rival. Then he doesn't. Because he wants to coach Brady, a star who is also despised.

The only thing missing is a commercial break, a controversial catch and an appearance by Roger Goodell.

The idea that McDaniels' career is over outside of the Patriots is far-fetched. If he keeps getting to Super Bowls, someone will take a chance on him.

For now, McDaniels and the Patriots are supervillains. So villainous, they make wrestling jealous.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (02-07-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    From a story about the Broncos looking for a new corporate sponsor for their stadium:

As the name search continues, the Broncos tell us they have continued to make loan payments on their home stadium. It seems like they keep the place painted and fixed up. Nobody is sitting in a broken seat.

And the Broncos are finally getting rid of the “Sports Authority Field” segment of the stadium name.

If they don’t finish up a naming deal with a company by the start of the 2018 season, I think they should go with Broncos Stadium at Mile High as a temporary name.

But in today’s sports economic climate, the Broncos need a naming sponsor so they can maintain the stadium and not go back to taxpayers and ask them to fund a new venue.

Hard to believe the stadium is going on 17 years old. As any homeowner knows, everything is in need of repair or replacement in the 15- to 20-year range.

Um, here's an idea, how about the Broncos and/or the NFL pay to fix the stadium and take care of the upkeep? Pretty sure the Broncos and the NFL both make money and even though they are there to put a team on the field and win a championship, the owner also runs the team to turn a profit. You already bent the city over once threatening to move the team if you didn't get a taxpayer funded stadium, how about you do your part and pay for your own stadium upkeep and renovations. FFS I can't ask the public to pay for my new furnace when the old one breaks.

/rant

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (02-07-2018), RBP (02-07-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    So did Minneapolis actually do this or was it added?

That was real - and fucking cool. Did you recognize what it is?

I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (02-07-2018), Hal-9000 (02-09-2018), Teh One Who Knocks (02-07-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    That was real - and fucking cool. Did you recognize what it is?

Yes, I saw the symbol thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Reports are saying that Denver and Case Keenum are going to agree to a contract tomorrow. Yay?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    I read something yesterday that said they could possibly lure Brees aware from New Orleans with the right offer.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Well, I guess that offer didn't materialize. He resigned with the Saints. Oh well.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-13-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Reports are saying that Denver and Case Keenum are going to agree to a contract tomorrow. Yay?
    my guess is he will have better stats than our new quarterback