Page 3 of 275 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: The NFL thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    Just saw an article on ESPN that the owners aren't considering using replacement players like they did back in '87. Maybe they should...I am absolutely sick of listening to the players bitch an moan about how they are getting 'screwed' by the owners. The NFL should try and break the union again like they did in 1987. I guarantee if the owners used replacement players, the regular NFL players would immediately cross the line (or within a couple of weeks at most).
    hey it's modern day slavery according to Adrian Peterson

I am fixed

"Somedays I wake up and feel like nobody loves me. Other days I wake up and feel like I love nobody. Sometimes I wake up and feel tired, and worn out. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I cannot face the day. But someday I'll wake up and realize that waking up is pretty stupid because it just makes you feel like crap."

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,082 Times in 59,901 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob034 View Post
    hey it's modern day slavery according to Adrian Peterson
    I know...how do they ever survive on that meager salary that they are paid?

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,817 Times in 3,932 Posts
    Fk AP, that was a supremely ignorant statement. The boy's paid to run, not think, that much is obvious.

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Boy Buys Super Bowl Ring Back for William 'The Refrigerator' Perry

Published April 05, 2011 | FoxNews.com

Former Chicago Bears defensive lineman William "The Refrigerator" Perry scores one last touchdown thanks to a 10-year-old boy.

Cliff Forrest of Pittsburgh took $8,500 out of his college fund to buy the Super Bowl XX ring that once belonged to Perry and then returned it to him Saturday, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

Forrest and his family flew out to Chicago and returned it to "The Fridge" while he was doing an autograph session Saturday.

"I Googled Mr. Perry and saw that he had a disease (Guillain-Barre syndrome) and had to sell it because of rough times. He only played in one Super Bowl. I thought he would want it more than I did," Forrest told the Sun-Times.

The disease Perry suffers from damages nerves and causes weakness and paralysis.

Perry would not say if he sold the ring to pay for mounting medical bills, but told the paper he was "overwhelmed" by the gesture.

Despite using a battery-powered scooter to get around and losing his hearing, "The Fridge" says he's doing better.

"I'm doing a whole lot better. I'm up and moving around. I'm doing what I like to do best -- fishing," he told the paper.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    A federal judge on Monday ordered an end to the NFL lockout, giving the players an early victory in their fight with the owners over how to divide the US$9 billion business.

U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson said she was swayed by the players' argument that that the lockout, now in its second month, was causing irreparable harm to their careers.

The plaintiffs "have made a strong showing that allowing the League to continue their 'lockout' is presently inflicting, and will continue to inflict, irreparable harm upon them, particularly when weighed against the lack of any real injury that would be imposed on the NFL by issuing the preliminary injunction," Nelson wrote.

The NFL promised an immediate appeal.

"We will promptly seek a stay from Judge Nelson pending an expedited appeal to the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals," the league said. "We believe that federal law bars injunctions in labour disputes. We are confident that the Eighth Circuit will agree. But we also believe that this dispute will inevitably end with a collective bargaining agreement, which would be in the best interests of players, clubs and fans. We can reach a fair agreement only if we continue negotiations toward that goal."

Owners imposed the lockout after talks broke down March 11 and the players disbanded their union. A group of players filed the injunction request along with a class-action antitrust lawsuit against the league.

The owners argued it was their right to institute the lockout and suggested Nelson didn't have jurisdiction while the National Labor Relations Board considers an unfair labour charge filed by the league that players didn't negotiate in good faith.

Nelson disagreed, and said the NLRB proceeding shouldn't be used to affect the court case here.

Nelson heard arguments on the injunction at a hearing on April 6 and ordered the two sides to resume mediation while she was considering her decision. The owners and players, who failed to reach consensus after 16 days of mediated talks earlier this year, met over four days with a federal magistrate but did not announce any progress on solving the NFL's first work stoppage since 1987.

They are not scheduled to meet again until May 16, four days after another judge holds a hearing on whether players should get damages in their related fight with owners over some $4 billion in broadcast revenue.

And now comes Nelson's decision to lift the injunction.

"(T)he public ramifications of this dispute exceed the abstract principles of the antitrust laws, as professional football involves many layers of tangible economic impact, ranging from broadcast revenues down to concessions sales," she wrote. "And, of course, the public interest represented by the fans of professional football -- who have a strong investment in the 2011 season -- is an intangible interest that weighs against the lockout. In short, this particular employment dispute is far from a purely private argument over compensation."

If her ruling stands, it is still unclear exactly what happens next. The collective bargaining agreement has expired, so how the league would handle free agency, trades and off-season workouts at team headquarters, all of which were banned under the lockout, remains to be seen.

The NFL even argued to Nelson that stopping the lockout would open all 32 teams up to additional antitrust claims simply for working together to solve the labour dispute. Antitrust claims carry triple damages for any harm proven, meaning hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake.

But with appeals expected, the fight seems likely to drag on through the spring and, possibly, into the summer. The closer it gets to August, when training camps and the preseason get into full swing, the more likely it becomes that regular season games will be lost.

"Tomorrow is going to come regardless of what we do here, so we have to work within that framework," Hall of Famer Carl Eller, a plaintiff, said after one of the recent mediation sessions. "In order to have a season, preserve a season, prepare for a season, those are real consequences."

And the antitrust lawsuit is pending, too, with lead plaintiffs that include MVP quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. The suit has been combined with two other similar claims from retirees, former players and rookies-to-be, with Eller the lead plaintiff in that group.

Granting the injunction swings some of the leverage to the players' side, which could actually bring the two sides closer to a resolution, according to Seth Borden, a labour law expert at McKenna, Long and Aldridge in New York.

"It's still going to boil down to the way the parties view their respective positions and respective leverage," Borden said. "Until the league and the players feel like they're at the point of no return for next season, progress will be slow toward that overall resolution."

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Everybody is a Tebow fan because he's God's only son.

BTW 1st round of the draft tonight cuz you know ESPN has only mentioned it once or twice in the last 2 months

I am fixed

"Somedays I wake up and feel like nobody loves me. Other days I wake up and feel like I love nobody. Sometimes I wake up and feel tired, and worn out. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I cannot face the day. But someday I'll wake up and realize that waking up is pretty stupid because it just makes you feel like crap."

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Are you sure it's tonite? First I've heard of it

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,889 Times in 11,964 Posts
    It's tonight.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I don't buy it

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You couldn't afford it anyway... even if it was on sale.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I could if I wanted to

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks