Page 62 of 275 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 112 162 ... LastLast

Thread: The NFL thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    <---- needs to be updated

I am fixed

"Somedays I wake up and feel like nobody loves me. Other days I wake up and feel like I love nobody. Sometimes I wake up and feel tired, and worn out. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I cannot face the day. But someday I'll wake up and realize that waking up is pretty stupid because it just makes you feel like crap."

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Joe Montana: Sanchez is better than Tebow, ‘and that’s it’

By Doug Farrar | Shutdown Corner

Joe Montana knows all about quarterback controversies. After he helped the San francisco 49ers win four Super Bowls from 1981 to 1989, he was replaced over time by Steve Young and eventually traded to the Kansas City Chiefs in 1993. The 49ers won their fifth Super Bowl in franchise with Young at the helm the next season, and the it could be argued that the 49ers had the best right-handed and best left-handed quarterbacks in NFL history on their roster at the same time. Not bad, really.

The stakes in the New York Jets' current quarterback controversy are a bit lower at this point -- Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow are two players looking to meet (never mind exceed) the expectations set for them as first-round draft picks. Both quarterbacks are still finding their feet in the NFL, and the Jets' recent trade for Tebow could very well complicate Sanchez's development process -- unless the Jets are counting on Tebow as the contingency in case the Sanchez upswing never takes place.

Tebow Time with the Jets will become official at Monday's press conference, but Montana has already laid down his verdict on the decision to have the two passers in the same rotation.

"Mark is a better player right now and that's it," Montana wrote in an email to the New York Daily News. "As long as Mark believes in himself and plays, it's not an issue. It's more of an issue for those of you who write, or blog or tweet and all the other methods of delivering content."

Um, OK. Not sure how it's an issue for those providing content, but whatever. It is a very serious issue for the Jets, who reportedly plan to have Sanchez as their starter, and Tebow as a Wildcat/option quarterback who could see action in up to 20 plays per game. it's an issue for a fanbase that may wind up wanting Tebow as the full-on starter no matter what. After all, there are people in Denver disappointed that Tebow isn't there anymore, and John Elway got Peyton Manning to replace him -- last time I checked, Sanchez isn't anywhere near Peyton Manning's approximate universe as a quarterback.

Montana does raise an interesting point about Sanchez believing in himself, though. As much as this seems like an ill-fitting exercise to steal the back pages from the Giants (who grabbed them in the first place by, you know, winning Super Bowls), this is a test of Sanchez's mettle and ability to deal with distractions. If the Tebow circus causes Sanchez to shrink from his ultimate potential, the Jets will be that much closer to knowing who their long-term quarterback isn't.

As a traditional quarterback, Sanchez is better than Tebow -- Montana's right about that. But Tebow has shown an ability to drive intangibles home with rare consistency, and this is anything but a typical situation. It's now Sanchez's turn to live up to Montana's praise.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob034 View Post
    one of the coordinators will probably take over responsibilities
    And the GM? (8 games)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by samarchepas View Post
    And the GM? (8 games)
    The front offices are armies of personnel. I'm sure there are deputy and assistant GMs that will fill the void working with the president and owner

I am fixed

"Somedays I wake up and feel like nobody loves me. Other days I wake up and feel like I love nobody. Sometimes I wake up and feel tired, and worn out. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I cannot face the day. But someday I'll wake up and realize that waking up is pretty stupid because it just makes you feel like crap."

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob034 View Post
    The front offices are armies of personnel. I'm sure there are deputy and assistant GMs that will fill the void working with the president and owner
    Agreed but its not over...the league said that suspensions to the players will follow (They are talking to the Players association about it) I don't THINK another team will try any of what the Saints did ever again

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Manning looks good in Broncos' first OTA workout

By ARNIE STAPLETON | The Associated Press

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) Peyton Manning is on target and there's plenty of zip on his throws at the Denver Broncos' first OTA workout.

Manning ran the offensive practice, lining up receivers, running backs and even fellow quarterbacks during the Broncos' workout Monday that marked the first time the media witnessed Manning throwing the ball since last year's training camp.

Up until now, reporters have had to rely on his receivers for updates on his progress from a series of neck operations. Manning has refused to talk about it.

Manning was released by the Indianapolis Colts in March after he missed the entire 2011 season because of a nerve injury that caused weakness in his throwing arm. The only four-time MVP in league history signed with Denver, leading to Tim Tebow's departure.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    He's finished. no superbowl for you

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'm realistic...no Superbowl this year, just a good playoff run. Next year will be the Superbowl year

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tehlancinator View Post
    I'm realistic...no Superbowl this year, just a good playoff run. Next year will be the Superbowl year

He's gonna get hit hard once and then die.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post

He's gonna get hit hard once and then die.
    Yep

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    ASHBURN, Va. (AP)

Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan was knocked to the turf when defensive back Brandyn Thompson slammed into him on a play during the team's first full-squad workout in its new indoor practice field.

Shanahan remained on his back for a couple of minutes while he was checked near midfield.

Eventually, he was helped up and then stood for a bit before walking to the sideline, where he watched the rest of Monday's practice near general manager Bruce Allen.

The Redskins didn't immediately say whether Shanahan was injured.

Team spokesman Tony Wyllie said Shanahan wouldn't speak to reporters Monday because he wasn't ''in condition to talk at the podium.''

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

I am fixed

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Patriots cut Chad Ochocinco today