Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Veterans Day/Remembrance Day 2011

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    One of the dads at my kids bus stop is about 3 weeks back from Afghan.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    So many lives lost in the defiance of tyranny. I respected a 2 minute silence at 11am this morning as always.......... gone but never forgotten! RIP our brave men and women.

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    Well put guys...and thanks Lance for the tribute to the Canadians as well.

- My grandfather fought in WW1, and lost a lung and a half to mustard gas.

- My uncle was a RAF tail gunner in WW2 in a Lancaster bomber - one of the few that survived. Became a POW and was never the same afterwards they tell me.

- My other uncle was part of the Desert Rats, survived WW2 only to be killed by friendly fire when they were retreating and came across another group of soldiers who didn't realize the war was over and didn't recognize them until it was too late.

- My father fought in WW2 in the British Navy and came back unscathed and lived until 64 when complications from a car wreck and pneumonia eventually got him.

- My nephew's best friend, who's quickly become my friend came back last year from a tour in Afghanistan. Remember the week they had more than 1 Canadian casualties? He saw it happen before him. I'm the only one, apart from his troop-mates he feels confident enough to share all his experiences with, and I'm glad I can be like a substitute dad for him.

So my thoughts today are usually miles away Sept 11. I'm lying on my sofa, watching my 8 year old daughter read her fairy book realizing that the contentment I feel in my heart right now is part of why they all fought.

a big THANK YOU to all of your relatives who did their part as well. We are forever in their debt and every September 11th, I am reminded to say Thanks.
    Last edited by Noilly Pratt; 11-12-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt View Post
    So my thoughts today are usually miles away Sept 11. I'm lying on my sofa, watching my 8 year old daughter read her fairy book realizing that the contentment I feel in my heart right now is part of why they all fought.