Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Goofy! Front and Center Now!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyGut View Post
    That mother fucker was crushing folks in like 30 seconds of round one...
    I hated buying the pay-per-views at $30-$50 and it would be over in less than a minute, once the main event was on.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    Leonard in his heyday beat Hearns, Duran and Hagler using the sweet science Noilly....he was a of course a different fighter than Ali but he certainly knew how to move and hit

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thomas Hearns cranking Duran was a good fight...wouldn't want to get in the way of him.He seemed so skinny

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Boxing

According to ESPN....from 10 to 1

10. Sam Langford

Lightweight, welterweight, middleweight, heavyweight
    Ring career: 1902-26 Record: 167-38-37-3 (117 KOs) and 48 no-decisions
    Career notes: Almost certainly the greatest fighter never to win, or even fight for, a world title. … Fought all the way from lightweight to heavyweight, and continued to fight -- and win -- even after becoming almost completely blind in one eye and partially blind in another. … Problem was that he was just too good. That, and the fact that heavyweight career overlapped with that of Jack Johnson -- who refused to give him a title shot, and whose behavior outside the ropes made promoters leery about the prospect of another black heavyweight champion -- combined to deny him the world title opportunity he deserved. … After being forced to retire because of blindness, disappeared from view until he was rediscovered by journalist Al Laney in 1944.

9. Jack Dempsey

Heavyweight
    Ring career: 1914-27 Record: 61-6-8 (50 KOs) and 6 no-decisions
    Career notes: Held world heavyweight title from 1919 to 1926, although only six of his fights during that period were official title defenses. … Furious two-fisted punching style was hugely popular with fans. … Engaged in some of the most celebrated battles of all time, including with Luis Angel Firpo and Gene Tunney. … The "Manassa Mauler" was the face of boxing at a time when it was still, along with baseball and horse racing, the most popular sport in the land. … Rakishly handsome and charismatic outside the ring, was all-action inside it, brandishing a breathtaking, go-for-broke fighting style. … Won the title by shattering the jaw of giant Jess Willard. … When he lost it, by decision to Tunney in 1926, it was in front of the largest paid attendance in the history of boxing -- more than 120,000 spectators. … In rematch, floored Tunney for a count of nine, the infamous "long count" in which Tunney was actually on the canvas for 14 seconds. … After losing rematch, retired and opened a restaurant in New York.

8. Jack Johnson

Heavyweight
    Ring career: 1897-1928 Record: 77-13-14 (48 KOs) and 19 no-decisions
    Career notes: First black heavyweight champion. … Beat Tommy Burns to win crown in 1908, and held on to it until defeated by Jess Willard in 1915. … Was in many ways precursor to Muhammad Ali: dominant in the ring and deliberately provocative and antagonizing outside it, shocking and infuriating white society with his boldness and arrogance. … Was driven into exile for much of his reign, living and fighting in Europe and South America to avoid facing charges under the profoundly racist Mann Act, which prohibited the transport of white women across state lines for immoral purposes. … Died in an auto accident in 1946.

7. Benny Leonard

Lightweight
    Ring career: 1911-32 Record: 85-5-1 (69 KOs) and 121 no-decisions
    Career notes: Won world lightweight championship in May 1917, and retired as champion in January 1925, making him the longest-reigning lightweight champion ever. … After more than seven years, made return to the ring, winning 18 of 19. … At one stage, fought 154 consecutive bouts without losing. … Of five losses, three were in his formative ring years, one was on a foul when challenging for the welterweight championship and one was the final contest of his career, during his comeback after a seven-year layoff, against fellow Hall of Famer Jimmy McLarnin. … Exceptional all-around talent possessed speed, accuracy and power in one package. … Became a referee after retirement, and collapsed and died in the ring while refereeing a bout in New York state.

6. Roberto Duran

Lightweight, welterweight, junior middleweight, middleweight
    Ring career: 1968-2001 Record: 103-16 (70 KOs)
    Career notes: Won lightweight championship from Ken Buchanan in 1972. … Snarling, unstoppable ring monster dominated lightweight division for seven years, and then outhustled Sugar Ray Leonard to become welterweight champ in 1980. … Quit in the rematch with Leonard five months later. … At 32, destroyed Davey Moore to win a junior middleweight belt in 1983, and fought bravely against Marvin Hagler five months later. … In 1984, was felled, flat on his face, by Tommy Hearns inside two rounds. … In the 21st year of professional career, improbably won a middleweight belt by beating Iran Barkley in 1989.

5. Willie Pep

Featherweight
    Ring career: 1940-66 Record: 230-11-1 (65 KOs)
    Career notes: Two-time world featherweight champion renowned for legendary defensive skills. … Achieved tremendous success despite suffering near-fatal injuries in a plane crash in 1947. … Legend that says he once won a round without throwing a punch (he almost certainly did not) is testament to defensive wizardry of "Will o' the Wisp." … Won first 63 bouts before losing to Sammy Angott, and then went 72-0-1 before losing again, to Sandy Saddler. … Only Saddler was ever truly able to figure him out, winning three of four times in bouts that were frequently brutal and foul-filled.

4. Joe Louis

Heavyweight
    Ring career: 1934-51 Record: 68-3 (54 KOs)
    Career notes: Won world heavyweight championship in 1937, and retired as champion in 1949. … Held heavyweight title for longer (11 years, 8 months, 7 days) and made more successful defenses (25) than anyone. … Defined by two fights against Max Schmeling of Germany. In first encounter, was unbeaten and knocked out in the 12th round, in June 1936. In rematch, almost exactly two years later, as world champion knocked out challenger in the first round, becoming hero to black and white Americans alike, and cemented his place as one of the most popular champions of all time.

3. Henry Armstrong

Featherweight, lightweight, welterweight
    Ring career: 1932-45 Record: 151-21-9 (101 KOs)
    Career notes: Only boxer to hold world titles at three different weights simultaneously. … Won featherweight crown in October 1937. … Added welterweight title in May 1938 and became lightweight champion three months later. … Challenged for middleweight crown in 1940, and held champion Ceferino Garcia to a draw. … Known variously as "Hammerin' Hank" and "Homicide Hank." Third nickname, "Hurricane Hank," was perhaps the most appropriate. … Was a whirlwind of a fighter, a perpetual-motion machine who overwhelmed opponents with a nonstop, suffocating fusillade of punches. … Faced 17 world champions in career and defeated 15 of them.

2. Muhammad Ali

Heavyweight
    Ring career: 1960-81 Record: 56-5 (37 KOs)
    Career notes: First to win heavyweight championship of the world three times. … Was banned from the ring for three years for refusing induction into the armed forces during the Vietnam War. … After ban was lifted, lost to Joe Frazier in "Fight of the Century" in 1971, but stunned George Foreman to regain belt in 1974. … Lost title to, and regained it from, Leon Spinks in 1978. … Three of defeats came in last four bouts, including two in an ill-advised emergence from retirement, against Larry Holmes and Trevor Berbick, at 38. … Transcended the sport unlike any other boxer. … Reinvented the way heavyweights were supposed to fight, deploying a speed and athleticism that was previously unheard of; also alternately bedazzled and appalled America and the world with charisma, showmanship and braggadocio. … Viewed progressively over the years as loudmouth, villain, hero and finally a figure of pathos. … Remains for many the definition of a champion.

1. Sugar Ray Robinson

Welterweight, middleweight
    Ring career: 1940-65 Record: 175-19-6-2 (109 KOs)
    Career notes: Won world welterweight title in December 1946, and defended it four times before stepping up in weight and winning, in 1951, first of five stints as middleweight champ. … Attempted to win light heavyweight title from Joey Maxim in 1952, but was stopped in the 14th round. … Born Walker Smith in Ailey, Ga. … Was the most complete boxer yet to grace the squared circle. … Lost just one of first 123 fights, to Jake LaMotta, a defeat avenged five times in a classic ring rivalry. … A near-perfect pugilist at welterweight, was less dominant at middleweight, but was still able to win the title five times, including three times after he had retired for two and a half years. … Only stoppage defeat was when challenging Maxim for light heavyweight crown, and then was leading on points until overcome by heat so extreme that it had forced the replacement of the referee in the 10th.

Full list (top 50):http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...e=greatest4150

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It's funny you posted that.What inspired me to make the thread (was to piss off Goofy really..) was reading about Jack Dempsey's life last night.

Some people don't know that there never used to be a neutral corner rule after a knockdown.In the old days your opponent would hit the canvass, you'd stand over him and the moment his knees lifted from the ground, you got to start smacking him again Ironically Dempsey was involved in a fight after the new 'go to the corner rule' was instituted (his corner requested it for the fight) and Dempsey knocked his opponent down.He forgot to go to a neutral corner so the ref wouldn't start the count.The other fighter was on the canvass for at least 14 seconds (I think it was Tunney). Historically it's called the infamous 'Long Count' match.Also, fights weren't scored on points in the event of a tie.Fighters would go 10 rounds and they'd call it a draw.

That's why it's difficult to rank fighters through time, styles and rules have changed too much.My top two fighters would be Rocky Marciano #1, and Sugar Ray Robinson #2 based on their records, opponents and styles.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Marciano has a great record........ but it is pretty padded, i mean, who did he ever beat? Jersey Joe was about 40 when they fought! Great fighter but not the greatest for me (same reason i wouldnt have either Klitschko up there even though Vitali has never 'really' been beaten)

My own #1 - Julio Cesar Chavez Ali comes a pretty close second for obvious reasons........ and Ricky Burns 3rd

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I would say charles Bronson
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    excluding a mirror....you can never see your own eye...

whoa

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I like Harry Carey...

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Marciano has a great record........ but it is pretty padded, i mean, who did he ever beat? Jersey Joe was about 40 when they fought! Great fighter but not the greatest for me (same reason i wouldnt have either Klitschko up there even though Vitali has never 'really' been beaten)

My own #1 - Julio Cesar Chavez Ali comes a pretty close second for obvious reasons........ and Ricky Burns 3rd
    He beat up a lot guys that you didn't!!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Rocky Marciano is one of the hardest punchers ever who’s biggest claim to fame is being the only undefeated Heavyweight champion. Marciano wasn’t that smooth as far as finesse is concerned, but he made up for it by punishing his opponents with power.

There’s been a back and forth Marciano debate for decades. Some people call him the greatest. However, Marciano is never ranked high amongst the greatest by boxing analyst despite being undefeated. You’ll need to look no where else to understand why. His less than stellar rankings are primarily because the competition he faced wasn’t as strong as many of the other champions like Ali or Robinson. Ali and Robinson beat many other all time great Hall of Famers you might find on similar lists, and while these fighters were in their prime. Simply being undefeated can be easily nullified. Many of the boxing greats were also once undefeated boxers for long periods of time. Willie Pep was once 61-0. Sugar Ray Robinson was 85-0 as an amateur and once 40-0 as a pro. It’s only when these warriors fought other legends, took losses, and reasserted their dominance did people learn how good they were and earned their places in boxing history. Most of the biggest names Marciano fought were passed their prime and weren’t great litmus tests. Marciano took the Heavyweight title from a 38 year old Jersey Joe Walcott. He also famously knocked Joe Louis out of the ring, but Louis was obviously not the same Louis, old, weathered and forced to keep fighting because of debt. Robinson had Jake LaMotta and beat him. Ali had Frasier and Foreman and beat them. Unfortunately and to no fault of his own, Marciano won all his fights and never had a fresh legendary nemesis to prove his worth with an exclamation point.

Regardless, Marciano will always be remembered for his ferocity and no losses. He was a class act who never took more credit than he deserved. Being the only undefeated Heavyweight champion of all time will keep him relevant in boxing debates and rankings for a very long time.
    To back up the Goofmeister

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The record isn't why he's my fave...watch him fight

and thanks for being a twat

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You made fun of my favorite so why can't I tear down yours?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I did no such thing.Do we read the same forum? Sugar Ray beat him in a fight, that's hardly making fun of your choice.I think Leonard was a great boxer, no shame in losing to him

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thomas Hit Man Hearns was another great.I watched the fight against Duran and think Hearns was something like 32-0, with 30 by KO.Other boxers reported that Hearns' right hand was devastating.I always saw him as a lanky, skinny guy with a good jab

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I liked and followed Ray Mancini in his early years....watched the fight where he killed Doo Ku Kim (sp?). His later years were nothing special and then he got into broadcasting.Apparently the fight against Kim was a turning point in his life.I remember a special where he said that boxing didn't interest him anymore.

In his prime he had lightning hand speed and hit the body like no one else..