Page 204 of 237 FirstFirst ... 104 154 194 202 203 204 205 206 214 ... LastLast
Results 3,046 to 3,060 of 3546

Thread: The Major League Baseball thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    I hate what the fans did to Buckner, but it's worse what the media did to him, never letting it go. Thankfully the fans fully forgave him for the incident. If anything, it's on the manager for leaving him out there and not putting in a better defensive replacement for him at 1st base. But I'm glad that things were smoothed over with the fans while he was still able to enjoy it, Buckner was a class act.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (05-28-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (05-28-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Five things Bill Buckner should be remembered for instead of the play that defined his MLB career

by R.J. Anderson - CBS Sports

On Monday, longtime big-league first baseman Bill Buckner died due to complications from dementia. Buckner spent part of 22 seasons in the majors, appearing in games with the Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago Cubs, and others, including, most notably, the Boston Red Sox. Unfortunately, Buckner is best known for his fielding mistake in the 1986 World Series that helped the New York Mets rally in Game 6 before capturing the title in Game 7:

Former Mets outfielder Mookie Wilson, who hit the infamous World Series grounder to Buckner, issued a statement Monday saying Buckner's legacy is greater than one play.

Following Wilson's lead, we wanted to honor Buckner by focusing on other, more positive and lesser remembered aspects of his lengthy career.

1. He won a batting title

Did you know Buckner received votes for MVP on five occasions? That included the 1981 season, his best statistical campaign and the one in which he made his only All-Star team. He hit .311/.349/.480 (130 OPS+) that season with 10 homers and more walks than strikeouts. Still, the year folks probably remember best of his was the previous season, when he won the batting title by hitting .324. Batting average being all the rage in the '80s, that's what got you recognized and (often) paid.

2. He never struck out more than two times in a game

In general, Buckner wasn't one for walking or striking out. He did so at equal rates (4.5 percent of his plate appearances), and finished his career with a total of 903 walks and strikeouts. He never fanned more than 39 times in a season. For reference Joey Gallo -- a high-quality hitter -- has struck out 67 times this season in his first 45 games. In fact, Buckner never struck out three times in a game -- never ever.

Buckner literally had more seven RBI games than three-strikeout games:

Buckner also had more World Series appearances (two) than three-strikeout games. Not many can say that.

3. He had impressive longevity

Buckner wasn't a Hall of Fame-caliber player by any means, but he played in parts of 22 seasons, finishing with a 100 OPS+ and 12 defensive runs saved. What's more is he ranks 66th all-time in hits; 50th in career at-bats; 149th in career runs batted in; and 153rd in times on base. He went from being the fourth-youngest player in his league when he debuted to the fifth-oldest when he retired.

4. He was on the field when Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's record

Though Buckner is primarily considered a first baseman -- and for good reason, seeing as how he played more than twice as many games there as anywhere else -- he did partake in some corner-outfield play throughout his career, especially early on. For instance, did you know Buckner was the starting left fielder in the game where Hank Aaron hit home run No. 715 to pass Babe Ruth on the all-time home-run list?

Take a close look -- Buckner is the outfielder who scales the wall.

5. He returned to Boston

Buckner spent another half-season with the Red Sox following the World Series against the Mets before being released. He then had stints with the Kansas City Royals and California Angels before returning to Boston in in 1990. He'd retire in June, but he never sought forgiveness -- and why should or would he?

Buckner was on hand after the Red Sox won the 2007 World Series, and later received a standing ovation from the crowd as he delivered the first pitch to former teammate Dwight Evans:

May Buckner's life be remembered as more than one play -- he certainly deserves that much.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-30-2019), RBP (05-28-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Huge crowd at the ChiSox game tonite

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Oops Worst first pitch ever? Chicago White Sox staffer hits photographer

Mark Bergin - WTSP 10 News

CHICAGO — It might be the worst ceremonial first pitch in Major League Baseball history.

A Chicago White Sox employee of the month got to throw out the first pitch Tuesday night ahead of the team’s home against the Kansas City Royals at Guaranteed Rate Field.

The right-handed woman hit a team photographer Darren Georgia’s camera lens, which was nowhere near home plate.

The woman covered her face with both hands and raised her arms. White Sox pitcher Evan Marshall was the intended catcher. He put his hands over his head and then put his left arm around the woman.

Georgia told NBC Sports he and the camera were okay. The White Sox did not identify the woman.

Tuesday’s first pitch is comparable to when rapper 50 Cent had a wild first pitch before a Pittsburgh Pirates-New York Mets game at Citi Field in 2014. The season before singer Carly Rae Jepsen’s bounced her first pitch before a Houston Astros-Tampa Bay Rays game at Tropicana Field.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (05-29-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Foul ball off bat of Cubs player Albert Almora Jr. strikes child; play briefly halted

By Dom Calicchio | Fox News

A small child was rushed to medical attention Wednesday night after apparently being struck by a foul ball during a Cubs-Astros game in Houston.

Play was halted during the fourth inning after the ball – off the bat of Cubs hitter Albert Almora Jr. – apparently hit a young girl, the Houston Chronicle reported.

A man was seen carrying the child out of the seating area, while replays showed that Almora seemed to instantly know that the ball had struck a spectator.

Almora was later seen distraught on the field and photos posted online showed him being consoled by a security guard as well as Cubs manager Joe Maddon and another Cubs player.

"Albert is an emotional young man with children, so that made it even more real to him," Maddon told the Associated Press after the game. "I understood exactly what he was going through right there."

The game was halted for a short time as the girl was taken away for treatment. Players on both teams seemed shaken up by what happened.

Almora spoke about the incident with reporters after the game. He said he quickly saw where the ball went and who it had struck.

"Just the way life is," he said. "As soon as I hit it, the first person I locked eyes on was her."

Almora said he was receiving information about the girl's condition but was asked not to share the information.

"Right now I'm just praying and I'm speechless," he told the Associated Press. "I'm at loss of words. Being a father, two boys ... but God willing I'll be able to have a relationship with this little girl for the rest of my life. But just prayers right now and that's all I really can control."

The Astros issued a statement after the game saying the girl was taken to a hospital, but no further information was provided.

Houston's Sports Talk 790 radio station later reported that the child was conscious and responsive and was expected to be OK.

Houston's Minute Maid Park, like all MLB stadiums, has netting around the home plate area and extending toward the dugout areas to protect fans from foul balls. But the AP reported that the young fan was seated about 10 feet past the area where the netting ends.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-30-2019), RBP (05-30-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Yeah he took it rough, I hope she's okay. I've sat in areas just beyond the netting and am amazed how many small children are there with inattentive guardians. Those are dangerous seats; I wouldn't make that choice.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-30-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (05-30-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Yeah he took it rough, I hope she's okay. I've sat in areas just beyond the netting and am amazed how many small children are there with inattentive guardians. Those are dangerous seats; I wouldn't make that choice.
    I'm not one on putting too many restrictions on things, but maybe MLB shouldn't allow children that young and small to be that close to the field where there's no protective netting. An attentive adult can easily be hit, what chance does a small child have of trying to avoid it, especially if the parent(s) aren't paying attention?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (05-30-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I'm not one on putting too many restrictions on things, but maybe MLB shouldn't allow children that young and small to be that close to the field where there's no protective netting. An attentive adult can easily be hit, what chance does a small child have of trying to avoid it, especially if the parent(s) aren't paying attention?
    At least give specific recommendations for seating with small children. The "family sections" are never in those areas. But I would assume they increase their liability by admitting what sections are less safe, and douchebags will sue after ignoring warnings.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (05-30-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    At least give specific recommendations for seating with small children. The "family sections" are never in those areas. But I would assume they increase their liability by admitting what sections are less safe, and douchebags will sue after ignoring warnings.
    Doesn't that microscopically written legal document on the back of the ticket absolve the club of any negligence or damages?

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Doesn't that microscopically written legal document on the back of the ticket absolve the club of any negligence or damages?
    That's the intent. People still sue and get settlements though. (*)

Edit: the team provides "assistance for the family" as a good citizen, while admitting no liability, with the lawsuit dropped. Basically the DOJ approach to corporate crimes against humanity.
    Last edited by RBP; 05-30-2019 at 11:20 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Hey, Sox finally got their first win against the Yankees this year.

What a pathetic season.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-03-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Hey, RBP, guess what you are gonna get to see the rest of the year

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Hey, RBP, guess what you are gonna get to see the rest of the year
    3 years. I am so fucking torn about this. I want him to do well, but I can't watch.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (06-06-2019)