Results 3,361 to 3,375 of 3546

Thread: The Major League Baseball thread

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Athletics' Ryan Christenson caught performing apparent Nazi salute, apologizes: 'What I did is unacceptable'

By Ryan Gaydos | Fox News

Oakland Athletics bench coach Ryan Christenson came under fire Thursday night for raising his arm during a postgame celebration in what looked like a Nazi salute.

He made the apparent gesture while greeting closer Liam Hendriks after the Athletics’ 6-4 victory over the Texas Rangers. Hendriks pushed Christenson’s arm down and cameras showed him laughing and briefly raising his arm a second time.

The gesture was plastered across social media and Christenson issued an apology.

“I made a mistake and will not deny it,” he said in a statement through the team. “Today in the dugout I greeted players with a gesture that was offensive. In the world today of COVID, I adapted our elbow bump, which we do after wins, to create some distance with the players. My gesture unintentionally resulted in a racist and horrible salute that I do not believe in. What I did is unacceptable and I deeply apologize.”

Oakland released a statement, apologizing for the “offensive” gesture.

“We do not support or condone this gesture or the racist sentiment behind it,” the team said. “This is incredibly offensive, especially in these times when we as a club and so many others are working to expose and address racial inequities in our country. We are deeply sorry that this happened on our playing field.”

Christenson, 46, has been with the Athletics since 2018. He played in the majors in 1998-2003.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    The Phillies had a 13 - 1 lead over the Braves going into the 9th. They put Pivetta on the mound and he gave up 5 runs before kicking him off the mound. Final score: 13 - 8.

Our bullpen blows.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Homer talking about the 2020 Red Sox

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (08-17-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The BoSox snapped their 9 game losing streak against the Phillies

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Oops Cincinnati Reds suspend announcer Thom Brennaman after 'horrific' anti-gay slur on air

By Daniel Canova | Fox News

Thom Brennaman, a longtime broadcaster for MLB's Cincinnati Reds, has been suspended by the club after being pulled off the air Wednesday night.

Brennaman, 56, was caught on a hot mic uttering a homophobic slur during a doubleheader with the Kansas City Royals.

The Reds apologized to the LGBTQ+ communities in Cincinnati and Kansas City and issued a statement announcing Brennaman's suspension, FOX 19 of Cincinnati reported.

“The Cincinnati Reds organization is devastated by the horrific, homophobic remark made this evening by broadcaster Thom Brennaman," the statement read. "He was pulled off the air, and effective immediately was suspended from doing Reds broadcasts. We will be addressing our broadcasting team in the coming days.

“In no way does this incident represent our players, coaches, organization or our fans. We share our sincerest apologies to the LGBTQ+ community in Cincinnati, Kansas City, all across the country and beyond. The Reds embrace a zero-tolerance policy for bias or discrimination of any kind, and we are truly sorry to anyone who has been offended.”

Brennaman, who didn't realize the telecast was back from a commercial break, was caught saying, "one of the f-- capitals of the world" between games of the doubleheader, FOX 19 reported. It was unclear what exactly he was referring to when he made the comment.

Brennaman later issued an apology during the live broadcast of the second game of the doubleheader.

“I made a comment earlier tonight that I guess went out over the air that I am deeply ashamed of. If I’ve hurt anyone out there, I can’t tell you how much I say from the bottom of my heart, I’m so very, very sorry," Brennaman said. "I pride myself and think of myself as a man of faith. … I don’t know if I’ll be putting on this headset again. I don’t know if it’s going to be for the Reds. I don’t know if it’s going to be for my bosses at FOX. I apologize for the people who sign my paycheck for the Reds, for Fox Sports Ohio, and for the people I work with, and anybody I’ve offended here tonight."

Brennaman added: "I can’t begin to tell you how deeply sorry I am. That is not who I am, it never has been. I’d like to think maybe I can have some people that can back that up. I am very, very sorry. And I beg for your forgiveness.”

After his final words, Brennaman signed off and Jim Day resumed the live broadcast.

Major League Baseball was aware of the incident but did not have an immediate comment, according to the Associated Press.

Reds reliever Amir Garrett tweeted about Brennaman's words shortly after the end of the second game: “To the LGBTQ community just know I am with you, and whoever is against you, is against me,” he wrote. "I’m sorry for what was said today."

Brennaman did national games for Major League Baseball on FOX from 1996 to 2014, and he’s also done play-by-play for the NFL on FOX. He’s been with Fox Sports for over 25 years, and he’s currently in his 13th year doing TV and radio for the Reds. He recently returned to the Reds full-time in 2019.

Brennaman's father, Marty Brennaman, was a legendary Reds announcer from 1974 until 2019.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    One of the fag capitals of the world? That's horrific?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    One of the fag capitals of the world? That's horrific?
    Get woke or get fired

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Welcome to Slam Diego! The Padres have set a major league record by hitting a grand slam in 4 consecutive games. Never done before in MLB history.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Me a few weeks ago: Well, the Sox might really suck, but at least the Rockies are playing well.

Me now:

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    people should stop watching these cunt sports that are all woke crazy like this. there's 4 interesting places to be regarding a baseball game: on the mound pitching, behind the plate catching, at bat, and anyfuckingwhere else on the planet.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Mets pitching legend Tom Seaver has passed away

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Zounds Braves demolish Marlins with 29-run onslaught, make National League history

By David Aaro | Fox News

The Atlanta Braves got shut out Tuesday night -- but boy, did they make up for it Wednesday night.

The Braves routed the Miami Marlins 29-9 -- and in the process, set a National League record for most runs scored in a single game.

The Atlanta onslaught included an 11-run second inning. Overall, the team hit seven home runs during the game.

Braves slugger Adam Duvall had a night to remember, smacking a two-run homer, three-run homer and a grand slam -- in that order -- tying a team record with nine RBI.

"We have scored 29 runs," the Braves wrote on social media after Duvall's third dinger. "That's it. That's the Tweet."

"Pretty amazing," said Atlanta's Freddie Freeman, who drove in six runs, including a two-run homer. "Hard to put into words, really, when you look up and see 29 runs on the board."

The Braves' feat was only one run shy of tying the MLB record for most runs scored in a game during the modern era (since 1900). That mark was set by the American League's Texas Rangers, who scored 30 runs against the Baltimore Orioles in 2007.

The most runs ever scored in a game was 36 by the Chicago Colts in 1897, according to the MLB's website.

"What the he** @Braves ?? Y’all jailbreak the score? CONGRATS on the Record LETS GOOO!!!" tweeted Atlanta Hawks point guard Trae Young.

It was just the fourth time a team scored at least 29 runs, and the first time a National League team did so. The 1955 Chicago White Sox and 1950 Boston Red Sox -- both in the American League -- had previously reached that run total.

During the game, every Braves starter recorded a hit and seven of them had a multi-hit game, led by the performance from Duvall.

He had recorded a three-homer game just one week earlier. His nine RBI tied an Atlanta record set by Tony Cloninger, a pitcher, in 1966.

The Braves' performance was considered even more impressive considering the team didn't score in the first or eighth innings. Because of their lead and being the home team, they also didn't bat in the ninth.

For the Marlins, it was their largest margin of defeat in franchise history, according to ESPN Stats & Info. During the game, the team didn't appear to be in the best of spirits.

After the game, they appeared to take the historic loss in stride, adding: "Tomorrow’s a new day."

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    So basically, the Braves beat up on a AAA team last night.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Heard on the Jim Rome show yesterday that the Twins have now lost 18(!) straight playoff games now.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Hall of Famer Joe Morgan has died at 77.