Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tinnitus

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    I've had it since 2001 GF, it's quite severe in my case.I get the 'ringing' or tone changes from time to time...the worse, more constant symptom I get is the white noise sound, like an old cassette tape player in between songs.(hissing)

For me...it's part of having severe TMD, a jaw/muscle malfunction.The tinnitus started right when the TMD hit, so I know that they're intertwined.Simple teeth grinding can cause this.When I used to wear a splint at night I noticed that the tinnitus would be better or worse the next day.Talk to your dentist...if you have a slight overbite or an unusual occlusional process, the tinnitus can be part of this.

*I've also been in 6 car accidents and over 50 fights...both winning and losing.So lots of head trauma in my case

Also you may have damaged the tympanic (?) structure within your ear.In that event a doctor will have to take a look.

Like others here mention, I have very sensitive hearing too.Reading or being in a quiet environment always allows you to hear the sound...for the most part (if it's minor and not structural damage within your ear) it's only blood you're hearing moving through your head.
    Last edited by Hal-9000; 03-02-2011 at 04:40 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,773 Times in 4,012 Posts
    Interesting Hal. thanks a lot mate.

Thanks everyone for taking the time, appreciate it!

I think I better drag my ass to the doctor I've probably been a total of once in the last five years.. both because I don't get sick much and because I hate it. But this is too annoying to ignore anymore so I'll do it...

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    for me it's not a painful symptom...just annoying

don't meant to dissuade you GF but it's never gotten better in 10 years

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,773 Times in 4,012 Posts
    Yeah I'm expecting some news like that... Tinnitus sounds like something you just have to ignore and deal with

In a strange way, it'd be nice if it was just some long-running ear infection

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    yes that would be nice....

I used to hang off the rails at concerts...literally right near the speakers, first row in front of the stage at concerts.I thought for sure my tinnitus was caused from that or a few years of playing my old electric guitar thru a particularly loud Fender amp.

Turns out a good TMD doctor proved to me that the tinnitus (in my case) was because of my jaw process dysfunction-thingy-shit.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    ...Go straight to the doc, at least he can rule out anything like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Belle View Post
    ....see a doctor ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkady Renko View Post
    ... consult a doctor

sounds like a sinus infection, allergy medication can clear it up, and something mucinex, but, you should see a dr

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post

*I've also been in 6 car accidents and over 50 fights...both winning and losing.So lots of head trauma in my case
    how do you define win or loss in a car accident?

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    was it his fault, did he get sued? win/loss

GF, there's a decent traditional chinese medicine explanation...I dont have time at the moment to hash it out but I will get to it later and at least give you some infos from that side of the spectrum.

I actually found a way to "unplug" most types of my own tinnitus, but its going to sound weird and it likely wont work for you guys, I kinda specifically trained myself for it. But if you recall my git in my belly thread from as, I posted a pic of the sword fingers there - but I basically point it vertically next to my head and "mentally unplug it" as I move the gesture across the front of my face, not touching...and the vast majorities of frequencies I can make them "just go away." I'm not sure why that mudra works but it makes the process ten times more efficient, I've been able to do a measure on it simply by focusing, but using only that method is harder. As I understand tinnitus is an excitation of nerve endings and they basically get a standing wave going in them, so its basically you have a cluster of nerves "singing."

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkady Renko View Post
    how do you define win or loss in a car accident?

he got out winner

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    I've had tinnitus for 25 years, GF. I'm lucky in that it's only in my left ear. I get the 'ringing' or tone changes from time to time just like Hal...and just like hal, the worse, more constant symptom I get is the white noise sound, like an old cassette tape player in between songs.(hissing)

For me, it happened when I was 19. I was at a club and that night, you know that ringing after you've been to a concert and you can't hear right after? Well, it didn't go away for 1 week. It did finally subside, but a little ringing was left thereafter. I've had my hearing checked and it's like every frequency they tried the volume is down in that 1 ear. The tympanic structure of my ear is damaged somewhat. Got retested a couple of years ago, and it's slightly worse than my last test when I was in my 20's.

I usually am OK unless I talk about it (I'm really hearing it now!) or I play very loud music with crappy headphones - it gets worse for a while. I bought some really nice Sony headphones, and no more problem that way. Or once I was in a hotel room and the sound of the air con's fan just seemed to "harmonize" with the frequency of the tinnitus, so I couldn't sleep all night.

When my daughter was born, when she'd scream it'd hurt me, too. Certain frequencies can set mine off too...a high C can make my ear sound, well, weird - it sounds like a "fluttering" sound. I think my daughter quickly figured out not to be a cryer because that's when Dad left the room!

But I've learned to ignore it for the most part and unless I'm just going to bed it usually doesn't bother me unless I'm in a crowd...ear fatigue can make me very tired at the end of a noisy day. Old CRT monitors set to a low frequency would bug me, but LCDs are fine.

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    from Noilly's post "...Certain frequencies can set mine off too"

like rap, Snooki's voice, cats mating at night......

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    from Noilly's post "...Certain frequencies can set mine off too"

like rap, Snooki's voice, cats mating at night......
    Yeah, how did you know?

Actually, Runaway by Del Shannon hurts to listen to. That first note! Ow!

In crowd situations people assume I hear them, but sometimes I don't. My bro in law said "excuse me" when he wanted to get by me and I didn't hear him, so I didn't move. He spilt his coffee when we collided. It's annoying little stuff like that.

I've learnt to lip read over the tears, so I can usually guess at most things. But, especially in noisy situations, I may not hear.

Luckily, my wife has a hearing loss of her own, so she's very understanding

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Godfather, did you ever get to the bottom of this? I suffer from this as well.. I think I have just learned to somewhat ignore it...

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yes, do tell GF.

Thanks, Hugh!!

*puts fingers on chalkboard* I'll fookin' do it!!!!!!!!