Page 217 of 220 FirstFirst ... 117 167 207 215 216 217 218 219 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,255 of 3287

Thread: NHL and other ice hockey discussion

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,679 Posts

Stan Mikita’s legacy always has been more than the gaudy numbers he put up or the trophies he racked up, the No. 21 hanging from the United Center rafters or the statue out front. It was the way he carried himself, the way he treated teammates and strangers alike — like you mattered, like you were important, like you were family.

“You don’t feel the privilege to play for the Hawks if it’s not for people and players like Stan Mikita,” Jonathan Toews said in 2015. “Long after his playing days, he’s still a humble, down-to-earth person who takes the time to talk to everybody. He found ways to make other people feel good about themselves and feel special, and I think that says more about him than anything else. We all look up to him and what he accomplished in the game of hockey.”

He was arguably the greatest Blackhawks player of all time — the franchise’s all-time leading scorer, a two-time MVP, an eight-time All-Star, his grace on the ice only matched by his grace off of it, a Blackhawks Ambassador in title and in deed.

Mikita died Tuesday at the age of 78. His family said he was “surrounded by his loving family whom he fiercely loved.” He had been diagnosed with Lewy Body dementia, which was revealed in 2015. It’s a cruel disease which robbed him of his memories, including the ones that are forever etched in the minds of so many Chicagoans and hockey fans around the world.

Stan Mikita is the Blackhawks franchise leader in games played (1,394), assists (926) and points (1,467). (Sun-Times file photo)

“Stan is from the neck up, completely gone, and from the neck down, he is as strong as a horse,” his daughter, Jane Mikita Gneiser, said in April.

His statue stands alongside Hull’s outside of the United Center, his legacy untarnished and secure more than five decades after he hoisted his lone Stanley Cup in 1961.

“There are no words to describe our sadness over Stan’s passing. He meant so much to the Chicago Blackhawks, to the game of hockey, and to all of Chicago,” Hawks owner Rocky Wirtz said in a released statement. “He left an imprint that will forever be etched in the hearts of fans — past, present and future. Stan made everyone he touched a better person. My wife Marilyn and I, joined by the entire Wirtz family, extend our prayers and thoughts to Jill and the Mikita family. ‘Stosh’ will be deeply missed, but never, ever forgotten.”

Mikita, who escaped communist rule in his native Czechoslovakia as an 8-year-old by moving to Ontario with his aunt and uncle in 1948, spent all of his 22-year career with the Blackhawks. He’s the franchise’s all-time leader in games played (1,394), assists (926) and points (1,467). He’s second all-time in goals (541), and won the Stanley Cup in 1961. He won the league scoring title four times, and won back-to-back Hart (MVP) and Lady Byng (gentlemanly play) trophies in 1966-68. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1983. His No. 21 was the first number to be retired by the Hawks.

He started his career as a chippy player and a frequent visitor to the penalty box, topping 100 penalty minutes in four of his first six seasons, but evolved into one of the game’s great sportsmen, a two-time Lady Byng Trophy winner. He’s credited with inventing the curved stick blade, a bit of serendipity he stumbled upon after his stick was caught in the boards and bent. He also was one of the first players to wear a helmet. Late in his career, he founded a hockey school for hearing-impaired children that is still going strong 45 years later, having evolved into the the American Hearing Impaired Hockey Association.

He never left the Chicago area, marrying his wife, Jill, and raising four children — Meg, Scott, Jane and Christopher. Team historian Bob Verdi, who covered Mikita during his playing days with the Chicago Tribune, wrote that Mikita was “the least pretentious, most accommodating icon imaginable.” Nobody ever had a bad word to say about him, the rare legend who lived up to the billing in every way.

“Everybody that I see talks about my grandfather,” said his 13-year-old grandson, Billy Gneiser, in April. “They said, ‘Oh, I used to watch your grandfather, he was a great man off the ice, a great man on the ice.’”

But it was on the ice where Mikita made his mark. On multiple occasions, Bobby Hull called the 5-9, 169-pound Mikita “pound for pound” the greatest player ever. He played in five Stanley Cup finals, winning the Cup in his second full season, having just turned 21. He and Hull were the Toews and Patrick Kane of their era, a fact not lost on the duo as they watched the Hawks win the Cup for the first time in 49 seasons in 2010, then again in 2013.

“The fact that Jonathan Toews is the leader of this team at 22 and Patrick Kane being one of the goal scorers they depend on, it was very much the same kind of deal in ’61 when we won the Cup,” Hull said during the 2010 championship run. “Mikita was young and a future Hall of Famer at that age. I was 22 and I could skate all night. They had to rope me down to stop me.”

It was always Hull and Mikita. Never Mikita and Hull.

But it never bothered Mikita. Few things ever did.

“People love that slap shot,” Mikita once said. “I never publicly thought of myself as better than Bobby Hull. But deep down, I said, ‘I’m just as good as he is.”

As it did for so many other Hawks icons, things broke badly with management after his career. But after many years of being ignored by the team he helped raise to new heights, Mikita was welcomed back into the fold by owner Rocky Wirtz, president John McDonough and coach Denis Savard following Bill Wirtz’s death in 2007.

“Some of the millions of coaches they had would ask me if I’d come down and say hi to the guys, but then I’d come down and things would be kind of cool,” Mikita said in 2008. “I’m not sure where that was coming from, but basically we were not wanted. Then to get a call from John McDonough asking me to come back and be part of the Blackhawks, I almost cried.”

The statues for Mikita and Hull were unveiled in 2011, a fitting permanent reminder of their grand legacy.

“I don’t know how to explain the euphoria,” Mikita said about his statue. “It’s just a grand gesture. … It will take 100 years to take the smile off my face.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...ikita-dead-78/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (08-08-2018), Teh One Who Knocks (08-08-2018)

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,315 Times in 10,673 Posts
    Always always a class act. I got to watch him play at the old Chicago stadium. But just as impressive was what he was off the ice. As the article mentioned, so many things changed after old man Wirtz died. Rocky took the team to television, and rightfully honored the heroes. RIP Stan, you are a legend, but you also lived a life as an amazing person we should all strive to be.

Tidbit... it is lore that the reason he was considered a dirty player and often in the penalty box as a young player is because that is how he was raised. Suffering in Czechoslovakia, when challenged... you fight.
    The only "B" word a woman should be called is beautiful.
    Bitches LOVE being called beautiful.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Godfather (08-08-2018)

vCash
    Thanks
    I was just reading something about that too. It’s so interesting how he reinvented himself - early on won Art Ross’ and PIM’s leader... later in his career he still won Art Ross’ but also Lady Byngs and Hart’s too... that unheard of anymore, absolutely incredible.

Ive heard his autobiography is fantastic, I’ll be picking it up soon.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (08-08-2018)

I live in the DPRC Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked 42,530 Times in 25,081 Posts

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Godfather (08-09-2018), RBP (08-09-2018)

vCash
    Thanks
    I've been dying laughing at every episode of the Spittin' Chiclets Podcast from barstool sports - highly highly recommend even if you're not super into hockey or even podcasts right now.

Hosted by hilarious ex-NHL'ers Ryan Whitney and Paul Bisonnette, and Rear Admiral from Barstool. The behind the scenes hockey stories just have me howling.

vCash
    Thanks

Cool Sidney Crosby and the Penguins surprised season ticket holders and played hockey with lucky fans

BarDown Staff

Over the past few years, multiple NHL teams have switched up the way they deliver season tickets to the rightful owners by sending players on the roster out to deliver them.

One of the teams that have made this an annual thing is the Pittsburgh Penguins. With the regular season less than one month away, Sidney Crosby, Jake Guentzel, Matt Murray and Jimmy Hayes were some of the players who made the rounds this year, and you can bet every single fan was excited to see them.

The fans got a chance to interact with the player(s) who showed up on their doorstep and most of them even got to play some puck with the players.

Since school is now underway, some of the young Penguins fans had to choose between playing hockey with Sidney Crosby or going to class and the Penguins captain played a role in helping them get out of a day of school.

Looks pretty legit to us.

The Penguins will open their 2018-19 season on October 4 at home against the reigning Stanley Cup champion Washington Capitals.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-14-2018)

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,315 Times in 10,673 Posts
    Corey Crawford showed up at Blackhawks camp and briefly got on the ice this morning, but will not be practicing with the team. Still no explanation or timetable. He's supposed to meet with media today.

The only "B" word a woman should be called is beautiful.
    Bitches LOVE being called beautiful.

vCash
    Thanks
    DGX you guys officially have the greatest mascot in hockey, perhaps all of sports

Meet Gritty

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-28-2018)

vCash
    Thanks

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-28-2018)

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,873 Times in 6,382 Posts

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-28-2018)

vCash
    Thanks

vCash
    Thanks
    The Bruins might have been shutout in their season opener last night, but at least they held the Caps to just one touchdown

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Godfather (10-05-2018), RBP (10-04-2018)

vCash
    Thanks
    The leafs are good this year. It's already disgusting. Every hockey podcast won't shut the fuck up about them. I can't handle this...

vCash
    Thanks
    If the Leafs are the only Canadian team to make the playoffs this year (despite that like 80% of the league is all Canadian players anyway), would you support them?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Thanks
    Oh! The Flyer's game's on. They're up 5 - 1.