Results 3,481 to 3,495 of 4153

Thread: NHL and other ice hockey discussion

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Did the Bruins play without a goalie last night?
    That was an interesting one, I can't remember the last time the nucks scored 9. Tough game for Rask.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,095 Times in 59,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    That was an interesting one, I can't remember the last time the nucks scored 9. Tough game for Rask.
    Honestly, I think getting shellacked like this during the season from time-to-time is a good wake-up call for a team so they don't get too cocky or over confident.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Honestly, I think getting shellacked like this during the season from time-to-time is a good wake-up call for a team so they don't get too cocky or over confident.
    For sure. The Bruins are near the top, it's ok to have a wake-up game in the back half of the season.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Our star goalie is out for the next 4 weeks. This is bad. We also traded some picks/prospects to make a run this year which IMO was dumb as we're not that close to a cup, we're only on the cusp of making the playoffs. I'm not worried about our core, but I'm worried our management is blowing their load too soon... probably because we have impatient ownership who meddle too much

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Kris Versteeg is wrong. The NHL's emergency goaltender is the best thing in sports.

Hemal Jhaveri - For the W!n

On Saturday night, 42-year-old Zamboni driver Dave Ayres stepped into the NHL spotlight in one of the most dramatic, uplifting ways imaginable. Serving as the emergency backup goalie for the Carolina Hurricanes, Ayres was called into service after starting goaltender James Reimer and backup Petr Mrazek were forced out due to injuries.

Ayers, who also serves as the practice goalie for the Toronto Marlies, stepped onto the ice in Toronto and made eight saves in the third period and earned the first win ever by an emergency backup goalie. It was an incredible evening and an uplifting story that transcended the NHL. Ayers not only made the NHL media rounds, but earned a spot on the Late Show With Stephen Colbert. He gave the NHL its first truly positive on-ice storyline in what feels like forever. It was basically Rudy, but on ice! Like The Rookie, but in Toronto! It was, pretty much, the dream come true for every athlete who’s ever taken the mound or hit the ice or stepped onto the court.

Despite the sheer fun and heartwarming-ness, there’s still established hockey media that think it “should never happen again.”

In a segment on Canada’s Sportsnet, former Chicago Blackhawk Kris Versteeg threw cold water on one of the few good things happening in the sport.

“This cannot happen. The NHL is a multi-billion dollar business. If the Dallas Cowboys had three QBs go down, they don’t go downtown Dallas and see if any accountants can throw a pigskin around,” he said.

First of all, if the Cowboys did need a QB and handed the ball off to an accountant it would be INCREDIBLE. Especially if that accountant had a few skills and the rest of the team rallied to help him out.

What’s utterly shocking and so annoying about Versteeg’s take isn’t that it’s so joyless, but that he seems far more concerned about preserving the integrity of the sport for such a ridiculous, superficial reason. Ayers recorded the first win ever by an EBUG. It’s not like this is a rampant problem in the league that the NHL needs to quickly clamp down. The EBUG system actually works and, as a bonus, provides magical moments for slightly better than average athletes.

Versteeg also seems to be forgetting that the NHL is in something of a crisis at the moment, as teams and players reckon internally with the sport’s culture of racism, sexism and abuse. If anyone cares about preserving the integrity of the game or the purity of the sport or some other such nonsense, they should probably start with cleaning house rather than focusing on a dream come true for a middle-aged practice goalie.

Hockey is withering across North America as financial constraints push the sport out of the reach of many, and instead of embracing the one storyline that everyone can root for, Versteeg and others on the Sportsnet panel decided to play gatekeeper about who or what is good for the game.

It’s also indicative of broader trends in the NHL that want to kill off any semblance of originality or individuality in the sport. Remember the hand wringing over the Hurricanes’ Storm Surge? Instead of welcoming the development of anything that could elevate the game past its own narrow sphere, hockey media, especially in Canada, continues to live in its own bubble.

Maybe the hockey establishment–that includes the league and media and former players–could start thinking about how to make the sport more welcoming to casual fans versus donning red hats and pushing an agenda of exclusion.

It’s not that Versteeg just has the worst sports take of the week or that he’s a kill joy, but that he wants to be a gatekeeper in a sport that already has so many barriers of entry. Let people enjoy what they enjoy and embrace the few, fleeting moments of uncomplicated joy this sport provides. Hockey has enough problems. The EBUG is not one of them.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Maybe the hockey establishment–that includes the league and media and former players–could start thinking about how to make the sport more welcoming to casual fans versus donning red hats and pushing an agenda of exclusion.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ya they can fuck off. The emergency goalie is what fans want, it's fun as hell, it's what dreams are made of, and it's so exceptionally rare that no other alternative makes sense. I'd take a washed up goalie who played 3 leagues down from the NHL any day over even an elite NHL d-man in net. It makes sense, it's great for the game. Shut up, sell the t-shirts and leave it alone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (03-02-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    When did I miss NHL expansion? I saw an article over the weekend discussing the new NHL franchise coming to Seattle.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I knew they were talking about it, but I had no idea they went ahead with it.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, looks like they will start playing in the 2021/22 season.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'm thinking it was part of the deal that brought the Golden Knights to Vegas.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ya! Should be good to have a close Vancouver rival, although I do wish the league was relocating rather than expanding but I think I've ranted about that enough times.

They're announcing the name in the next few weeks here. I've heard Totem or Kraken as front-runners but I think Rain City Bitch Pigeons would be ideal

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (03-03-2020), Teh One Who Knocks (03-03-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Rain City Bitch Pigeons! LOL!

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Ya! Should be good to have a close Vancouver rival, although I do wish the league was relocating rather than expanding but I think I've ranted about that enough times.

They're announcing the name in the next few weeks here. I've heard Totem or Kraken as front-runners but I think Rain City Bitch Pigeons would be ideal
    I saw that in a fan vote (non-binding I'm guessing) that the runaway winner was the Sockeyes.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I saw that in a fan vote (non-binding I'm guessing) that the runaway winner was the Sockeyes.
    That's not terrible I guess, Seattle Sockeyes has a nice ring. It's funny I feel like I always think a new pro sports team's name sounds bush-league but after a season that thought just fades away Not sure why that is.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (03-04-2020)