Results 3,436 to 3,450 of 4153

Thread: NHL and other ice hockey discussion

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    So awesome If I was one of these guys I'd make the drawing my social media profile pic

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (10-22-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    John Carlson has 18 points in 10 games... leading the league, as a d-man. That's unreal. Bobby Orr & Paul Coffey are the only two d-men to have done it. I doubt he'll maintain all season but a defenseman hasn't won the Art Ross for points lead since 1975!

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Nucks blew a 5-1 lead in the 3rd tonight. Always fun being a Canucks fan. At least it was against the Capitals, they're looking damn good again this year.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    David Pastrnak has 24 points in 12 games That's so awesome. I'm so glad the league found ways to bring scoring back in the last few years. Tough time to be a goalie but great for fans.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (10-30-2019)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    David Pastrnak has 24 points in 12 games That's so awesome. I'm so glad the league found ways to bring scoring back in the last few years. Tough time to be a goalie but great for fans.
    Bruins are looking really good to start the season. No Cup loss hangover at all.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Holy shit. Bryan Little took a slapshot from a teammate in the helmet and suffered a brain bleed (also needed 25-30 zippers in his head but that's superficial). Reports are that he's going to be okay, but that's scary as hell.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (11-07-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (11-07-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    That's a bad day at work.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    So I'm reading that Don Cherry was fired...

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    So I'm reading that Don Cherry was fired...
    Yup, the PC crowd/SJW's got him:

Canadian hockey analyst Don Cherry fired over anti-immigrant comments
    By Thomas Barrabi | FOXBusiness

Canada’s Sportsnet fired legendary hockey broadcaster and analyst Don Cherry on Monday, days after he sparked widespread outrage during a live segment for accusing Canadian immigrants of failing to honor the country’s fallen military veterans.

“Sports brings people together – it unites us, not divides us. Following further discussions with Don Cherry after Saturday night’s broadcast, it has been decided it is the right time for him to immediately step down,” Sportsnet president Bart Yabsley said in a statement. “During the broadcast, he made divisive remarks that do not represent our values or what we stand for.”

A fixture on Canadian television for the last four decades, Cherry, 85, hosted the “Coach’s Corner” segment on Sportsnet’s flagship program, “Hockey Night in America.” Cherry’s show, which airs during the first intermission of nightly hockey games, is the highest-rated programming on Canadian television, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Sportsnet holds the exclusive right to broadcast NHL games in Canada. During his “Coach’s Corner” segment last Saturday night, Cherry said he noticed immigrants were not wearing poppies to honor Canadian soldiers.

"You people love — they come here, whatever it is — you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey," Cherry said. "The least you could pay is a couple of bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys pay for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. These guys pay the biggest price.”

Cherry faced immediate criticism for the remark. The NHL said his comments were “offensive and contrary to the values we believe in,” while Sportsnet’s Yabsley said Cherry’s “discriminatory comments are offensive and they do not represent our values and what we stand for as a network.”

Cherry has yet to comment on his firing.

“Don is synonymous with hockey and has played an integral role in growing the game over the past 40 years. We would like to thank Don for his contributions to hockey and sports broadcasting in Canada,” Yabsley added.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (11-12-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Honestly, I have no problem with what he said.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

WARMINGTON: Fired and betrayed, Don Cherry stands firm

By Joe Warmington - The Toronto Sun

Don Cherry has been fired before.

“Of course it’s always hard but after you have been fired by the Boston Bruins, you can handle anything,” teased Grapes after Rogers Sportsnet tied the can to him for remarks he didn’t say but that people have put in his mouth as if he did.

But even though he said he has “no problem” with leaving his Coach’s Corner desk after almost 40 years, Don admits it came on the wrong day.

“On Remembrance Day, of all days,” the 85-year-old Cherry said in an interview.

“I just hope it doesn’t get more coverage than the ceremonies.”

And he insisted I not blow off my column on the Cenotaph ceremony at Old City Hall because of this breaking news.

The other thing that Cherry didn’t like about his firing were some of the words used by Sportsnet President Bart Yabsley in his statement.

At the bottom of his statement, he said Cherry made “divisive remarks that do not represent our values,” and “Don is synonymous with hockey and has played an integral role in growing the game over the past 40 years. ”

Said Cherry: “You know what that last part reminds me of? It reminds of when a coach pulls a goalie in a game and then tells the press he did great. Goalies will always say if I did so great, why did you pull me?”

Added Grapes: “I don’t think those comments should be in there. If I was integral to hockey then why are they firing me?”

Obviously, Cherry was integral to Hockey Night in Canada for decades, bringing in a lot of money for the franchise with his first period intermission segment.

Somehow they decided that clumsy words of encouragement for all Canadians to buy and wear a poppy was time to kick him down the stairs.

“I don’t feel any different about it,” said Cherry.

“People should be supporting the fallen more than they do.”

Another thing that is bothering him is the way his sidekick Ron MacLean didn’t stick up for him while protecting his own hide.

He said that betrayal hurt him.

“Well, yeah. After 35 years I guess so,” said Cherry.

“I had one friend call and say he’s ‘Judas’ but I don’t really want to be too hard on him.

“But I was surprised.”

MacLean has not responded to requests for comment, but I feel I need to remind him that when he was fired twice by Hockey Night in Canada, Don was behind the scenes laying the ground for him to come back — which he did.

While Don may be taking this firing in stride, his wife of 20 years Luba isn’t.

“She has been my rock in this,” said Cherry.

“She’s the one who has stuck with me.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I guess the "you people" did him in but I think all he was really trying to say is everyone should wear a poppy and show respect.

I always feared they'd can Don like this, can't believe it happened over poppies on Remembrance Day. This guy has advocated more for the troops and first responders, whole heartedly, than any Canadian alive today. This is wrong the way they canned him, it's cancel culture again. He should be given a real farewell if Sportsnet doesn't have the nuts to back an 85 year old man when he's (intentionally) being misunderstood. Whole thing is just sad and disappointing.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (11-20-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (11-20-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I guess the "you people" did him in

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Keith Yandle lost 9 teeth to a puck last night. Spent this morning in the dental chair and will be playing at 5pm

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (11-24-2019), RBP (11-29-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Bruins @ Capitals on NBCSN right now. Flyers @ Avalanche after.