Page 216 of 277 FirstFirst ... 116 166 206 214 215 216 217 218 226 266 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,240 of 4153

Thread: NHL and other ice hockey discussion

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts

NHL and other ice hockey discussion

Anyone following this shit out of Ottawa? If that team wasn’t already the biggest shit show in sports - they are now. One players wife needed a restraining order against another... jeeze
    Last edited by Godfather; 06-15-2018 at 11:42 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Tavares is a leaf... GROSS

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    What about the rest of the shenanigans? I'm pretty happy that JVR is coming back to Philly.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Godfather (07-06-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    What about the rest of the shenanigans? I'm pretty happy that JVR is coming back to Philly.
    Ya that's awesome for you guys. You know why I love that in particular? Because JVR signed a well deserved $35MM contract, whereas the guy you traded him for (L. Schenn) is signed for $800k... a wrong was undone there big time!

I think your first pick Joel Fabree is a great one too... anyone from the US NTDP is a great choice, but he looks particularly good at 14th to me (76 points/33 goals in 62 games as Captain of the USDP... wow) even if he plays at BU for a year or two before jumping to the league.
    Last edited by Godfather; 07-06-2018 at 06:06 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Sounds like Karlsson is going from OTT to the Bolts. I don't think I've ever seen a team implode both on and off the ice as hard as the Sens have the last 12 months. It's actually surreal. THe shit with their assistant GM, their Owner being a cheap pile of trash, the apparent bullying and need for a restraining order by Karlsson's wife from another player's wife (Hoffman), who had to be shipped out of town as a result for a bag of pucks, and now their star playing wanting out too.... It's kind of hilarious, but real weird. The joke around Ottawa is calling GM Melnyk a 'terrorist' I'm curious to see who even shows up to the Sens game on opening night...

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Now what the hell happened with this woman being engulfed in flames at an Ottawa player's house?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Now what the hell happened with this woman being engulfed in flames at an Ottawa player's house?
    Unreal. Hope she's doing ok now, sounds awful...

Honestly I can't think of any sports team that's had more weird, terrible and seemingly unrelated bad stories come out of it in such a short period of time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Former goaltender Ray Emery has died. Apparently, he drowned in a club swimming pool.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Godfather (07-16-2018), RBP (07-16-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Really sad news

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    2013 Hawks Cup team if I recall. Backup goalie.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ya he absolutely tore it up for the games he played that year, he was a beast, started 10-0

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-16-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    How about this golden moment from sports

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (07-16-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks

Stan Mikita’s legacy always has been more than the gaudy numbers he put up or the trophies he racked up, the No. 21 hanging from the United Center rafters or the statue out front. It was the way he carried himself, the way he treated teammates and strangers alike — like you mattered, like you were important, like you were family.

“You don’t feel the privilege to play for the Hawks if it’s not for people and players like Stan Mikita,” Jonathan Toews said in 2015. “Long after his playing days, he’s still a humble, down-to-earth person who takes the time to talk to everybody. He found ways to make other people feel good about themselves and feel special, and I think that says more about him than anything else. We all look up to him and what he accomplished in the game of hockey.”

He was arguably the greatest Blackhawks player of all time — the franchise’s all-time leading scorer, a two-time MVP, an eight-time All-Star, his grace on the ice only matched by his grace off of it, a Blackhawks Ambassador in title and in deed.

Mikita died Tuesday at the age of 78. His family said he was “surrounded by his loving family whom he fiercely loved.” He had been diagnosed with Lewy Body dementia, which was revealed in 2015. It’s a cruel disease which robbed him of his memories, including the ones that are forever etched in the minds of so many Chicagoans and hockey fans around the world.

Stan Mikita is the Blackhawks franchise leader in games played (1,394), assists (926) and points (1,467). (Sun-Times file photo)

“Stan is from the neck up, completely gone, and from the neck down, he is as strong as a horse,” his daughter, Jane Mikita Gneiser, said in April.

His statue stands alongside Hull’s outside of the United Center, his legacy untarnished and secure more than five decades after he hoisted his lone Stanley Cup in 1961.

“There are no words to describe our sadness over Stan’s passing. He meant so much to the Chicago Blackhawks, to the game of hockey, and to all of Chicago,” Hawks owner Rocky Wirtz said in a released statement. “He left an imprint that will forever be etched in the hearts of fans — past, present and future. Stan made everyone he touched a better person. My wife Marilyn and I, joined by the entire Wirtz family, extend our prayers and thoughts to Jill and the Mikita family. ‘Stosh’ will be deeply missed, but never, ever forgotten.”

Mikita, who escaped communist rule in his native Czechoslovakia as an 8-year-old by moving to Ontario with his aunt and uncle in 1948, spent all of his 22-year career with the Blackhawks. He’s the franchise’s all-time leader in games played (1,394), assists (926) and points (1,467). He’s second all-time in goals (541), and won the Stanley Cup in 1961. He won the league scoring title four times, and won back-to-back Hart (MVP) and Lady Byng (gentlemanly play) trophies in 1966-68. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1983. His No. 21 was the first number to be retired by the Hawks.

He started his career as a chippy player and a frequent visitor to the penalty box, topping 100 penalty minutes in four of his first six seasons, but evolved into one of the game’s great sportsmen, a two-time Lady Byng Trophy winner. He’s credited with inventing the curved stick blade, a bit of serendipity he stumbled upon after his stick was caught in the boards and bent. He also was one of the first players to wear a helmet. Late in his career, he founded a hockey school for hearing-impaired children that is still going strong 45 years later, having evolved into the the American Hearing Impaired Hockey Association.

He never left the Chicago area, marrying his wife, Jill, and raising four children — Meg, Scott, Jane and Christopher. Team historian Bob Verdi, who covered Mikita during his playing days with the Chicago Tribune, wrote that Mikita was “the least pretentious, most accommodating icon imaginable.” Nobody ever had a bad word to say about him, the rare legend who lived up to the billing in every way.

“Everybody that I see talks about my grandfather,” said his 13-year-old grandson, Billy Gneiser, in April. “They said, ‘Oh, I used to watch your grandfather, he was a great man off the ice, a great man on the ice.’”

But it was on the ice where Mikita made his mark. On multiple occasions, Bobby Hull called the 5-9, 169-pound Mikita “pound for pound” the greatest player ever. He played in five Stanley Cup finals, winning the Cup in his second full season, having just turned 21. He and Hull were the Toews and Patrick Kane of their era, a fact not lost on the duo as they watched the Hawks win the Cup for the first time in 49 seasons in 2010, then again in 2013.

“The fact that Jonathan Toews is the leader of this team at 22 and Patrick Kane being one of the goal scorers they depend on, it was very much the same kind of deal in ’61 when we won the Cup,” Hull said during the 2010 championship run. “Mikita was young and a future Hall of Famer at that age. I was 22 and I could skate all night. They had to rope me down to stop me.”

It was always Hull and Mikita. Never Mikita and Hull.

But it never bothered Mikita. Few things ever did.

“People love that slap shot,” Mikita once said. “I never publicly thought of myself as better than Bobby Hull. But deep down, I said, ‘I’m just as good as he is.”

As it did for so many other Hawks icons, things broke badly with management after his career. But after many years of being ignored by the team he helped raise to new heights, Mikita was welcomed back into the fold by owner Rocky Wirtz, president John McDonough and coach Denis Savard following Bill Wirtz’s death in 2007.

“Some of the millions of coaches they had would ask me if I’d come down and say hi to the guys, but then I’d come down and things would be kind of cool,” Mikita said in 2008. “I’m not sure where that was coming from, but basically we were not wanted. Then to get a call from John McDonough asking me to come back and be part of the Blackhawks, I almost cried.”

The statues for Mikita and Hull were unveiled in 2011, a fitting permanent reminder of their grand legacy.

“I don’t know how to explain the euphoria,” Mikita said about his statue. “It’s just a grand gesture. … It will take 100 years to take the smile off my face.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...ikita-dead-78/

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks

Stan Mikita’s legacy always has been more than the gaudy numbers he put up or the trophies he racked up, the No. 21 hanging from the United Center rafters or the statue out front. It was the way he carried himself, the way he treated teammates and strangers alike — like you mattered, like you were important, like you were family.

“You don’t feel the privilege to play for the Hawks if it’s not for people and players like Stan Mikita,” Jonathan Toews said in 2015. “Long after his playing days, he’s still a humble, down-to-earth person who takes the time to talk to everybody. He found ways to make other people feel good about themselves and feel special, and I think that says more about him than anything else. We all look up to him and what he accomplished in the game of hockey.”

He was arguably the greatest Blackhawks player of all time — the franchise’s all-time leading scorer, a two-time MVP, an eight-time All-Star, his grace on the ice only matched by his grace off of it, a Blackhawks Ambassador in title and in deed.

Mikita died Tuesday at the age of 78. His family said he was “surrounded by his loving family whom he fiercely loved.” He had been diagnosed with Lewy Body dementia, which was revealed in 2015. It’s a cruel disease which robbed him of his memories, including the ones that are forever etched in the minds of so many Chicagoans and hockey fans around the world.

Stan Mikita is the Blackhawks franchise leader in games played (1,394), assists (926) and points (1,467). (Sun-Times file photo)

“Stan is from the neck up, completely gone, and from the neck down, he is as strong as a horse,” his daughter, Jane Mikita Gneiser, said in April.

His statue stands alongside Hull’s outside of the United Center, his legacy untarnished and secure more than five decades after he hoisted his lone Stanley Cup in 1961.

“There are no words to describe our sadness over Stan’s passing. He meant so much to the Chicago Blackhawks, to the game of hockey, and to all of Chicago,” Hawks owner Rocky Wirtz said in a released statement. “He left an imprint that will forever be etched in the hearts of fans — past, present and future. Stan made everyone he touched a better person. My wife Marilyn and I, joined by the entire Wirtz family, extend our prayers and thoughts to Jill and the Mikita family. ‘Stosh’ will be deeply missed, but never, ever forgotten.”

Mikita, who escaped communist rule in his native Czechoslovakia as an 8-year-old by moving to Ontario with his aunt and uncle in 1948, spent all of his 22-year career with the Blackhawks. He’s the franchise’s all-time leader in games played (1,394), assists (926) and points (1,467). He’s second all-time in goals (541), and won the Stanley Cup in 1961. He won the league scoring title four times, and won back-to-back Hart (MVP) and Lady Byng (gentlemanly play) trophies in 1966-68. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1983. His No. 21 was the first number to be retired by the Hawks.

He started his career as a chippy player and a frequent visitor to the penalty box, topping 100 penalty minutes in four of his first six seasons, but evolved into one of the game’s great sportsmen, a two-time Lady Byng Trophy winner. He’s credited with inventing the curved stick blade, a bit of serendipity he stumbled upon after his stick was caught in the boards and bent. He also was one of the first players to wear a helmet. Late in his career, he founded a hockey school for hearing-impaired children that is still going strong 45 years later, having evolved into the the American Hearing Impaired Hockey Association.

He never left the Chicago area, marrying his wife, Jill, and raising four children — Meg, Scott, Jane and Christopher. Team historian Bob Verdi, who covered Mikita during his playing days with the Chicago Tribune, wrote that Mikita was “the least pretentious, most accommodating icon imaginable.” Nobody ever had a bad word to say about him, the rare legend who lived up to the billing in every way.

“Everybody that I see talks about my grandfather,” said his 13-year-old grandson, Billy Gneiser, in April. “They said, ‘Oh, I used to watch your grandfather, he was a great man off the ice, a great man on the ice.’”

But it was on the ice where Mikita made his mark. On multiple occasions, Bobby Hull called the 5-9, 169-pound Mikita “pound for pound” the greatest player ever. He played in five Stanley Cup finals, winning the Cup in his second full season, having just turned 21. He and Hull were the Toews and Patrick Kane of their era, a fact not lost on the duo as they watched the Hawks win the Cup for the first time in 49 seasons in 2010, then again in 2013.

“The fact that Jonathan Toews is the leader of this team at 22 and Patrick Kane being one of the goal scorers they depend on, it was very much the same kind of deal in ’61 when we won the Cup,” Hull said during the 2010 championship run. “Mikita was young and a future Hall of Famer at that age. I was 22 and I could skate all night. They had to rope me down to stop me.”

It was always Hull and Mikita. Never Mikita and Hull.

But it never bothered Mikita. Few things ever did.

“People love that slap shot,” Mikita once said. “I never publicly thought of myself as better than Bobby Hull. But deep down, I said, ‘I’m just as good as he is.”

As it did for so many other Hawks icons, things broke badly with management after his career. But after many years of being ignored by the team he helped raise to new heights, Mikita was welcomed back into the fold by owner Rocky Wirtz, president John McDonough and coach Denis Savard following Bill Wirtz’s death in 2007.

“Some of the millions of coaches they had would ask me if I’d come down and say hi to the guys, but then I’d come down and things would be kind of cool,” Mikita said in 2008. “I’m not sure where that was coming from, but basically we were not wanted. Then to get a call from John McDonough asking me to come back and be part of the Blackhawks, I almost cried.”

The statues for Mikita and Hull were unveiled in 2011, a fitting permanent reminder of their grand legacy.

“I don’t know how to explain the euphoria,” Mikita said about his statue. “It’s just a grand gesture. … It will take 100 years to take the smile off my face.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...ikita-dead-78/

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (08-08-2018), Teh One Who Knocks (08-08-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Always always a class act. I got to watch him play at the old Chicago stadium. But just as impressive was what he was off the ice. As the article mentioned, so many things changed after old man Wirtz died. Rocky took the team to television, and rightfully honored the heroes. RIP Stan, you are a legend, but you also lived a life as an amazing person we should all strive to be.

Tidbit... it is lore that the reason he was considered a dirty player and often in the penalty box as a young player is because that is how he was raised. Suffering in Czechoslovakia, when challenged... you fight.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Godfather (08-08-2018)