Page 132 of 277 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 130 131 132 133 134 142 182 232 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 4153

Thread: NHL and other ice hockey discussion

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    News trickling out of the NHL negotiations with the NHLPA isn't very promising Talk is of a shortened season not starting until around December/January. Fuck.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    News trickling out of the NHL negotiations with the NHLPA isn't very promising Talk is of a shortened season not starting until around December/January. Fuck.
    The first proposal got me laughing...a lot, They want to shorten the contracts length to 5 years...The irony here, Bettman is working for the League and the owners are his boss: THEY are the ones that gave the "OK" in the first place for the contracts themselves (The GM makes the contract...but no GM would make a 13 years long contract without the owner's approval, or he wouldn't keep his job very long

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by samarchepas View Post
    The first proposal got me laughing...a lot, They want to shorten the contracts length to 5 years...The irony here, Bettman is working for the League and the owners are his boss: THEY are the ones that gave the "OK" in the first place for the contracts themselves (The GM makes the contract...but no GM would make a 13 years long contract without the owner's approval, or he wouldn't keep his job very long
    It's hilarious! The league has been sending out monthly emails to players the last 7 years telling them how much money is being generated, revenue, profits ect And it's a lot. Now they're back to this act of turning their pockets inside out and looking broke at the bargaining table?!?! That's bullshit.

Unlike last lockout, the fans are much less likely to side with Ownership this time (most of us then said "I'd play for free, so be happy with what you get"). This league has grown yet another billion dollars in revenue since then. It is not broke. And in terms of 'stability' owners claim there isn't... just look at Winnipeg. They're guaranteed sell outs for the next 5 year!!!

This go around, I do not believe the players need to agree to any of the massive cutbacks these owners are pretending they need. NHL'ers put their lives on the line while ownership has compromised safety. They are members of a business, and deserve a fair cut of profits (50% was, and is fair) - nobody comes to see ownes, they come to see Crosbys and Ovetchkins. They deserve to have their paycheques even if they are badly hurt on the job and don't play again. And like Sam said, they just signed these contracts, they didn't write them.

/rant
    Last edited by Godfather; 07-18-2012 at 05:41 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Rising costs of operations?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    All kidding aside, I stand by my belief that professional athletes don't deserve to get paid as much as they do. As far as I'm concerned, they don't provide a necessary service to civilization, they don't push forward progress, and the argument can be made that they don't improve the economic situation of the communities that they and their team are in.

Also, them putting their lives on the line to play the game is their choice. No one put a gun to their head and said "you must play hockey". They could have always chosen to do something else for a living that people would consider "safer". I say the same thing about football.

Don't get me wrong, I love sports (except basketball and golf), but there's no way in hell any of the shit associated with sports should cost as much as it does. It's a waste and the money could be better used elsewhere.

So I am completely unsympathetic to the athletes' "plight".

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (07-19-2012)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    All kidding aside, I stand by my belief that professional athletes don't deserve to get paid as much as they do. As far as I'm concerned, they don't provide a necessary service to civilization, they don't push forward progress, and the argument can be made that they don't improve the economic situation of the communities that they and their team are in.

Also, them putting their lives on the line to play the game is their choice. No one put a gun to their head and said "you must play hockey" They could have always chosen to do something else for a living that people would consider "safer". I say the same thing about football.

Don't get me wrong, I love sports (except basketball and golf), but there's no way in hell any of the shit associated with sports should cost as much as it does. It's a waste and the money could be better used elsewhere.

So I am completely unsympathetic to the athletes' "plight".
    See hockey as a business and not a sport, the league is making money, players and owners are "business partners", they are just getting their share of the cake. Is it more than it should be? sure, but know from facts (Forbes) Habs owner sees his team make around 3M$ PER GAME from tickets ALONE (Including suites ) He bought them for 575M$ and will make a profit quite fast

And about the bold part, it's not rare to see players give millions to the community (The money would be there anyway if it doesn't go to the players, it would just go to the owners pockets)
    Last edited by samarchepas; 07-19-2012 at 03:34 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Take it away from the owners too. I'm not saying they're not to blame. They're an even bigger part of the problem. The fact remains is that none of these people are worth what they're paid to do what they do.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Take it away from the owners too. I'm not saying they're not to blame. They're an even bigger part of the problem. The fact remains is that none of these people are worth what they're paid to do what they do.
    The rich get richer and the poor get poorer it seems (Nothing new here...always been this way since money existed )
    politicians,actors,singers etc....are they worth millions for what they do? Of course not, but it is the way it is I guess.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    !!!!!
    Shea Weber signed an offer sheet with the Flyers!!!
    100M$/14 years, The Preds have 7 days to match the offer or he is a Flyers and the Preds get 4 first round picks from the Flyers.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    If the Preds don't match, Nashville will be a ghost town for hockey before long. Suter's gone, Weber's gone... they don't have much left.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    These athletes train hard their entire lives, they risk failing and becoming nobodies and start pushing for this at the same age that a student pushes for med school or law school, maybe younger. Just like everyone who makes great money, they pour their blood sweat and tears into the job. With all this stuff about concussions recently, I have more respect for them than ever. As for owners, these teams are still high risk investments. It's basic capitalism that there is big money to be earned and lost. You can't take it away just because they're playing a game.
    Last edited by Godfather; 07-19-2012 at 06:20 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by samarchepas View Post
    !!!!!
    Shea Weber signed an offer sheet with the Flyers!!!
    100M$/14 years, The Preds have 7 days to match the offer or he is a Flyers and the Preds get 4 first round picks from the Flyers.
    So awesome, Twitter is blowing up over this one I hope the Preds don't match, I want to see him as a Flyer badly

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    These athletes train hard their entire lives, risk failing and becoming nobodies. Just like everyone who makes great money, they pour their blood sweat and tears into becoming pros, and with all this stuff about concussions recently, I have more respect for them than ever. As for owners, these teams are still high risk investments. It's basic capitalism that there is big money to be earned and lost. You can't take it away just because they're playing a game

Yes I can.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks

Yes I can.

I used to totally agree with what DGX is saying, but my mind has changed. The NHL grew from its grassroots, to over $3 billion revenue last year, up 50% from the Lockout....

As long as there are people filling the $200 seats, and companies paying to advertise, there is huge money going to either athletes, or to investment groups and wealthy families.
    So for my money, I'd like to see half go to the people who sell seats, who we watch play and actually matter and who mostly are just good Canadian and American boys from small farm towns
    Last edited by Godfather; 07-19-2012 at 06:28 AM.