Page 135 of 277 FirstFirst ... 35 85 125 133 134 135 136 137 145 185 235 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 4153

Thread: NHL and other ice hockey discussion

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Rask says he's ready to be Bruins No. 1 goalie

The Associated Press

BOSTON (AP) -- Tuukka Rask was caught off guard - just a little - when he heard fellow Bruins goalie Tim Thomas decided not to play next season.

Surprised? Yes.

Shocked? Not so much.

''I wasn't expecting him to do that, obviously,'' Boston's new starting goalie said Thursday at a charity event. ''But I really appreciated what he's done and I appreciate his decision to want to be with the family and take some time off hockey.

''It really didn't shock me that much, but I'm more sad to see him leave because we had a really good connection and friendship going on. But I'm sure he's happy now where he is, and gets to spend time with his family.''

And so the Bruins - one year removed from winning the Stanley Cup - journey on with Rask in net.

It's not a bad option, of course, just a different one.

Rask, after all, had a 2.05 goals-against average in 25 games last season after posting a 2.67 in 29 games in 2010-11. The previous season, he was stellar - registering a 1.97 clip - in 45 games, and even played more than Thomas as the pieces of what would become a championship team were still coming into place.

Still only 25, Rask will be a restricted free agent after this season, should he and the club not come to a long-term agreement. He avoided salary arbitration by signing a one-year contract worth $3.5 million, more than double the $1.5 million he made last season. Other goalies in similar situations signed longer deals, but Rask and management agreed to see how his first season as the No. 1 plays out before negotiating again.

''A lot of people were a little surprised about the contract and stuff,'' he said after visiting children at the Jimmy Fund Clinic of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. ''But I can't tell the team that I want a long contract because I am at the age where I would have gone to arbitration.

''So we just figured that it's best for both of us. And then if I have a good year, then maybe (I'll) sign up a longer deal.''

Under the current collective bargaining agreement, Rask can be a restricted free agent again after next season, but that can change depending on the results of the labor situation. The current CBA expires on Sept. 15, and the season is slated to start on Oct. 11. Talks between the NHL and NHLPA will continue next week in New York.

Thomas played every minute of the Bruins' 2011 run to the Stanley Cup. Then he played all seven games of the first-round ouster last season by Washington. The latter came after the Bruins won 49 games in a grueling season that resulted in a Northeast Division crown and the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference. So, it's been a grind for Thomas, 38. The last three postseason series Boston has played, in fact, have gone the distance.

Thomas plans to sit out the final year of his contract, but hopes to return the following season and earn a spot on the U.S. Olympic team. He was on Team USA in 2010 in Vancouver.

''Everybody knew he was a little tired, because he played a lot the past two years,'' Rask said. ''But he didn't seem like he was exhausted mentally or anything like that.''

Anton Khudobin is in line to be Rask's backup if and when training camp opens.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tehlancinator View Post
    The Associated Press

BOSTON (AP) -- Tuukka Rask was caught off guard - just a little - when he heard fellow Bruins goalie Tim Thomas decided not to play next season.

Surprised? Yes.

Shocked? Not so much.

''I wasn't expecting him to do that, obviously,'' Boston's new starting goalie said Thursday at a charity event. ''But I really appreciated what he's done and I appreciate his decision to want to be with the family and take some time off hockey.

''It really didn't shock me that much, but I'm more sad to see him leave because we had a really good connection and friendship going on. But I'm sure he's happy now where he is, and gets to spend time with his family.''

And so the Bruins - one year removed from winning the Stanley Cup - journey on with Rask in net.

It's not a bad option, of course, just a different one.

Rask, after all, had a 2.05 goals-against average in 25 games last season after posting a 2.67 in 29 games in 2010-11. The previous season, he was stellar - registering a 1.97 clip - in 45 games, and even played more than Thomas as the pieces of what would become a championship team were still coming into place.

Still only 25, Rask will be a restricted free agent after this season, should he and the club not come to a long-term agreement. He avoided salary arbitration by signing a one-year contract worth $3.5 million, more than double the $1.5 million he made last season. Other goalies in similar situations signed longer deals, but Rask and management agreed to see how his first season as the No. 1 plays out before negotiating again.

''A lot of people were a little surprised about the contract and stuff,'' he said after visiting children at the Jimmy Fund Clinic of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. ''But I can't tell the team that I want a long contract because I am at the age where I would have gone to arbitration.

''So we just figured that it's best for both of us. And then if I have a good year, then maybe (I'll) sign up a longer deal.''

Under the current collective bargaining agreement, Rask can be a restricted free agent again after next season, but that can change depending on the results of the labor situation. The current CBA expires on Sept. 15, and the season is slated to start on Oct. 11. Talks between the NHL and NHLPA will continue next week in New York.

Thomas played every minute of the Bruins' 2011 run to the Stanley Cup. Then he played all seven games of the first-round ouster last season by Washington. The latter came after the Bruins won 49 games in a grueling season that resulted in a Northeast Division crown and the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference. So, it's been a grind for Thomas, 38. The last three postseason series Boston has played, in fact, have gone the distance.

Thomas plans to sit out the final year of his contract, but hopes to return the following season and earn a spot on the U.S. Olympic team. He was on Team USA in 2010 in Vancouver.

''Everybody knew he was a little tired, because he played a lot the past two years,'' Rask said. ''But he didn't seem like he was exhausted mentally or anything like that.''

Anton Khudobin is in line to be Rask's backup if and when training camp opens.
    Ready or not, it doesn't change anything right? (Thanks to Thomas)
    I also think he is...but the Bruins didn't have much of a choice here.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    got my winter classic tickets

I am fixed

"Somedays I wake up and feel like nobody loves me. Other days I wake up and feel like I love nobody. Sometimes I wake up and feel tired, and worn out. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I cannot face the day. But someday I'll wake up and realize that waking up is pretty stupid because it just makes you feel like crap."

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Charlie Jacobs thinks B's can trade Thomas

By James Murphy | ESPNBoston.com

In a radio interview Monday on WEEI, Bruins principal and alternate governor Charlie Jacobs weighed in on goalie Tim Thomas, whose decision to forgo his final season of his contract and leave the Bruins hanging with a $5 million cap hit remains a hot topic.

Jacobs, the son of owner Jeremy Jacobs, expressed confidence that the Bruins will be able to unload Thomas in a trade despite his intention to sit out the 2012-13 season.

"Timmy's going to do what he wants to do, and you know what? I bet we'll get something for him if he elects not to come back," Charlie Jacobs told WEEI. "And there is in fact a floor for the salary cap this upcoming season, I can see teams trading for that $5 million cap [hit] to bring their team up to the floor.

"So I think there will be a market for a player, as ironic as it sounds, there will be a market for a player who's not going to play next year."

Jacobs also questioned Thomas' thought process for skipping the entire season.

"I'm having a hard time wrapping my ahead around that whole line of logic," Jacobs said. "I respect Timmy and I respect his decision, but at 38. ... I want to say he'll be 39 by the time he comes back, taking a year off from pro hockey, from the National Hockey League, from the show, I don't see how it's possible to come back and play at that level. He may prove us all wrong, but I would be stunned. This is prime earning potential for him. This is not chump change -- we're talking 5 million bucks -- and the possibility of another deal if he does perform well."

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Who would want a player that won't play anyway? (If you just want to get out of Boston...just ask a trade and move on)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob034 View Post
    got my winter classic tickets
    I hope they salvage this season in time for you to enjoy that man I think it might be the first game of the year... there is too much lost revenue from locking out the Winter Classic.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I hope they salvage this season in time for you to enjoy that man I think it might be the first game of the year... there is too much lost revenue from locking out the Winter Classic.
    With Bettman and his 30 bosses, you never know! ......

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The most recent proposal sounds quite fair... reduction to 50% profit sharing over 4 years. I hope the players just accept it, or counter-offer something very reasonable

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Doesn't look like there's gonna be any hockey this year.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    I've got Antichrist Superstar stuck in my head now.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Dude, it's the players fault just as much as it's his and the owners fault.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oh I couldn't agree more, there is plenty of blame to go around at this point. He's just fun to hate

Did you see the NHL players video I died a little.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, he's easily the worst commissioner in the 4 major sports leagues, that's for sure.

Haven't seen the video yet, dunno if I wanna

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Bettman must be the only commissioner in a professional sport to have been through *3* lock-outs! (He seems to take some pride from it!)