Page 136 of 277 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 134 135 136 137 138 146 186 236 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 4153

Thread: NHL and other ice hockey discussion

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    You know the Flyers all showed up for their team foundation charity golf tourny days before they were locked out... but a week later now that the lockout has started, nobody from staff, coaches, management, ownership showed up for Scott Hartnell's charity tourny because Bettman allegedly told them in an email no fraternizing?! Those tournaments are charity foundations lifeline. That's some heartless bullshit right there.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    You know the Flyers all showed up for their team foundation charity golf tourny days before they were locked out... but a week later now that the lockout has started, nobody from staff, coaches, management, ownership showed up for Scott Hartnell's charity tourny because Bettman allegedly told them in an email no fraternizing?! Those tournaments are charity foundations lifeline. That's some heartless bullshit right there.
    That goes to show that Bettman ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT CARE about the fans...they are a source of revenue and that is all there is to it. (Same kind of tournament for the Habs tomorrow, should be interesting to see if the same BS happens)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,095 Times in 59,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samarchepas View Post
    That goes to show that Bettman ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT CARE about the fans...they are a source of revenue and that is all there is to it. (Same kind of tournament for the Habs tomorrow, should be interesting to see if the same BS happens)
    The same could be said about the players, but I guess it's always more fashionable to blame management instead.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

NHL cancels September slate of preseason games

By RACHEL COHEN (AP Sports Writer) | The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NHL canceled its entire September preseason game schedule on Wednesday, the first on-ice casualty of the four-day lockout.

The league is wiping out all games through Sept. 30, a move it deems ''necessary because of the absence of a collective bargaining agreement'' with the players' association.

The NHL also said the 2012 Kraft Hockeyville preseason game, scheduled for Oct. 3 in Belleville, Ontario, has been postponed until 2013, bringing the total to 60 games called off on Wednesday.

The regular season is scheduled to begin on Oct. 11.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said the league has ''no set policy on cancellations'' of other games.

Also Wednesday, a person familiar with the plan says NHL employees at the league offices will switch to a four-day work week Oct. 1 because of the lockout.

The move will effectively cut salaries by 20 percent. The person spoke on condition of anonymity Wednesday because the NHL hadn't made the plan public.

The news was first reported by The Canadian Press.

The Florida Panthers and Ottawa Senators have let staff go because of the lockout, while several other teams have said they don't have any plans to do so as of now.

The league locked out its players at 12:01 a.m. Sunday, its fourth shutdown since 1992.

The preseason cancellations included a Washington Capitals game against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Sept. 26 in Baltimore.

Last year, in the inaugural Baltimore Hockey Classic, the Capitals hosted the Nashville Predators and drew a sold-out crowd.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Cancelling those preseason games means tens of thousands of kids and people in small towns lose the opportunity to see a pro hockey game they'd otherwise never get.

There's talk here that a group of players might play some games for fans in non-NHL arenas where available like in the last lockout. That'd be cool.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    We have had a huge increase in attendance at our beer league games so far this season..

I counted at least 10 people in the stands. I was of course scored on while I was counting but its not my fault because I had to take both gloves off to count that high..
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ovechkin: ‘If our contracts get slashed, I will have to think whether to return there or not’
    By Katie Carrera - The Washington Post

Alex Ovechkin may have signed a deal to play for the KHL’s Dynamo Moscow during the lockout, but that hasn’t prevented the star winger from continuing to voice his concerns about the NHL labor negotiations.

On Wednesday, Ovechkin spoke with a Russian news agency about his new contract and said he would consider staying in his home country full time if player salaries are cut dramatically in the next collective bargaining agreement.

Thanks to Slava Malamud of Sport-Express for translating Ovechkin’s full quote, which came from Russian news agency RIA Novosti and was initially published on Sporbox.ru.

“I knew that Dynamo was interested in me, as my Russia-based representative had immediately told me that,” Ovechkin said, as translated by Malamud. “But we had already promised CSKA to only negotiate with them. But then, there was a small snag. We asked [CSKA] whether we can start negotiating with someone else. In the end, we started making contact with Dynamo and reached an agreement.

“As to the future, it will depend on what kind of conditions there will be in the NHL with the new CBA,” Ovechkin said. “If our contracts get slashed, I will have to think whether to return there or not. I won’t rule out staying in the KHL, even past this season.”

Keep in mind that this may all be posturing on Ovechkin’s part, given the state of the NHL’s labor talks. But at the same time, he hasn’t shied away from strong statements about the negotiations and this isn’t the first time he’s floated the possibility of players staying overseas if the NHL cuts player salaries.

Ovechkin, like all NHLers who sign overseas during the lockout, has an out clause in his contract that allows them to return to North America whenever the NHL season starts up again.

If Ovechkin were to stay in Russia whenever the NHL resumes, he would be in violation of his contract with the Capitals, which runs through the 2020-21 season. The breach of contract would also go against the agreement between the NHL and KHL about honoring each other’s player contracts, would bring sanctions from the IIHF and likely lead to the NHL saying its players can’t participate in the Olympics.

That should give you an idea of the can of worms that would open up if players were to violate their NHL contracts. That’s not to say it’s impossible, but it would certainly be a dramatic course of action.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    They can keep him, Radulov and Semin for all I care

I'd love to know how much some KHL contracts are for.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    I'm waiting for the owners to start staking out the beer leagues for talent. Maybe we'll see RC getting scored on on live tv.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    They can keep him, Radulov and Semin for all I care

I'd love to know how much some KHL contracts are for.
    Normally I would agree with you...but Ovechkin saying this *might* put some pressure on the owners, which is good (Not talking sides here, the faster it's done, the better and one side will have to give in)
    Ovechkin is THE big name in Washington (He signed for around 6M$ TAX FREE in the KHL) Again, if the Russians go to the KHL and stay there, the NHL loses some serious money. (And money is the ENTIRE reason why there is a lock-out)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    I'm waiting for the owners to start staking out the beer leagues for talent. Maybe we'll see RC getting scored on on live tv.
    And you would see plenty of pretty much everybody scoring on me.

I have a quite few goalie 'friends' around North America that are in fact playing with the big boys now.. They big boys rent ice themselves and fill in with some of the decent local talent as the need arises.

I was good enough during 2004 lockout to scrimmage with the remaining Yotes. It was a really cool gig, had my equipment dried and cared for daily until the team equipment managers got busted for 'crossing the picket line'..

I'm fat and horrible now so aint none O dat gonna happen this time around..

btw, I read about the guys going over to the KHL and other leagues having to insure their NHL contract, something like 20k per million of salary.
    Last edited by Richard Cranium; 09-22-2012 at 01:40 AM.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by samarchepas View Post
    Normally I would agree with you...but Ovechkin saying this *might* put some pressure on the owners, which is good (Not talking sides here, the faster it's done, the better and one side will have to give in)
    Ovechkin is THE big name in Washington (He signed for around 6M$ TAX FREE in the KHL) Again, if the Russians go to the KHL and stay there, the NHL loses some serious money. (And money is the ENTIRE reason why there is a lock-out)
    I don't fucking care about their income now that it's in the multi-billions

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I don't fucking care about their income now that it's in the multi-billions
    If I was the Kings owner I'd be "royally" pissed right now
    When you win the cup you want to start ASAP to be sure that you don't lose your fans (Here, in Canada, people will be back at the game as soon as the lock-out is over...can't say the same for some teams South of the border)
    According to RDS (French TSN) The owners are not as unified as Bettman wants us to believe (That's why I used the Kings example, the owner ain't happy at all about all this and wants to start ASAP)
    Teams are losing money...Bettman ain't, he still get his 8 Millions a year (That's more than Gomez! )
    BTW, as you probably know, the owners can't complain publicly about anything...or they get a "substantial" fine
    (I'd probably do it anyway...who cares about a fine if you have billions? )

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Totally agree on the Kings. Couldn't be much worse for a growing franchise to be locked out, those fans were just getting energized by a championship and a bright future. Now they'll just go back to football and basketball in LA. Same thing happened in Tampa Bay after the last lockout. Not only did the fans not return with much gusto, but the team was just a shadow of what is look like it was becoming.

I'd die to know how owners felt right now too, hadn't heard those rumors about disunity yet. Right up until lockout day, many were signing big fat cheques and handing out long contracts. I'd be curious to know which owners would be happy to just renew the old CBA

I think Bettman said he was giving up his salary during the lockout though