Page 147 of 277 FirstFirst ... 47 97 137 145 146 147 148 149 157 197 247 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,205 of 4153

Thread: NHL and other ice hockey discussion

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    It's an option. It's an option for the Canucks too... I just hope they don't do it. Holding on to Luongo if he flops around and has a shitty season as a back-up goalie is very risky. We could suddenly end up getting nothing for him
    I can't see Luongo being at the camp in a few days...too much distraction for nothing. The Canucks whats him out (He feels the same) BUT they won't let him go for nothing.
    We had the PERFECT example of that in Montréal (Patrick Roy!!!) They traded him in a hurry and got next to nothing when they could have gotten a LOT more in return if they would have waited a bit instead of panicking with it. The guy won the Olympic Gold in 2010...still has a good value in the league.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samarchepas View Post
    I can't see Luongo being at the camp in a few days...too much distraction for nothing. The Canucks whats him out (He feels the same) BUT they won't let him go for nothing.
    We had the PERFECT example of that in Montréal (Patrick Roy!!!) They traded him in a hurry and got next to nothing when they could have gotten a LOT more in return if they would have waited a bit instead of panicking with it. The guy won the Olympic Gold in 2010...still has a good value in the league.
    I have LONG used that same example of trading Roy, to people who rip on Luongo. Cory Schneider could be a super star, or he might not be able to handle the role of a starting goalie. We can't be certain yet. Meanwhile, Luongo might leave us and win somewhere. After watching both goalies for a few years, I suspect that won't happen - that Schneider will be good and Luongo will decline. But who knows

I will say that it seems the relationship between Luongo and Schneider is actually quite close apparently. They're professionals and have long stated that riffs and distractions are fabricated by the media. If Luongo has to come and play here, it will be ok. I'd be surprised if he's not at camp on Sunday unless a trade is done.
    Last edited by Godfather; 01-10-2013 at 04:44 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I have LONG used that same example of trading Roy, to people who rip on Luongo. Cory Schneider could be a super star, or he might not be able to handle the role of a starting goalie. We can't be certain yet. Meanwhile, Luongo might leave us and win somewhere. After watching both goalies for a few years, I suspect that won't happen - that Schneider will be good and Luongo will decline. But who knows

I will say that it seems the relationship between Luongo and Schneider is actually quite close apparently. They're professionals and have long stated that riffs and distractions are fabricated by the media. If Luongo has to come and play here, it will be ok. I'd be surprised if he's not at camp on Sunday unless a trade is done.
    Yup, The medias did the EXACT in Montréal, giving Halak the status a god among men
    There was no bad blood between Price and Halak (Same as in Vancouver) just 2 guys that wanted the number 1 spot
    One thing that the Canucks MUST do after Lou is gone (Assuming that it does happen) is get a veteran goalie to help the kid...or you are stuck like in Toronto with 2 young goalies with no real experience in the league.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah I agree... some are talking about bringing up Eddie Lack as he could be another superstar goalie in the Canuck's system, but he has been underwhelming this year and it would be a foolish mistake for him to ride the pine most of the season as opposed to playing full time in the AHL.

Anyways... what's the story with the Habs this year? They going to make the playoffs you think?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah I agree... some are talking about bringing up Eddie Lack as he could be another superstar goalie in the Canuck's system, but he has been underwhelming this year and it would be a foolish mistake for him to ride the pine most of the season as opposed to playing full time in the AHL.

Anyways... what's the story with the Habs this year? They going to make the playoffs you think?
    Maybe... (Lots of "Ifs")
    Toughness is better but the 2nd line is still a HUGE concern there (Most of the goals came from the first line last year...that caused them to finish 15th)
    EVERYTHING that could have gone bad last year did, its the first time in my life that I've seen a player getting traded BETWEEN 2 PERIODS!!! (Cammalleri)
    Most of the roster was injured during the season at some point, one of the assistant coach was fired and the same happened to the head coach like 2 months later
    Pretty much the entire personal in the head office is gone now (GM,Assistant GM,Coach etc) the only survivors are Trevor Timmins (director of amateur scouting) and the goalies coach
    So really, nobody knows for sure what will happen there Bergevin is the GM of the team but he has not seen his team play a game once. The only great thing that came out of that nightmarish season is Alex Galchenyuk (Habs drafted him 3rd overall and he is doing GREAT with his junior team...I hope the team gives him a few games in the league this year, they can give him 5 games until it counts as a full year on his contract.)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,091 Times in 59,905 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tehlancinator View Post
    You try to act like you don't care about the NHL but really, if you do visit this thread...YOU DO care! :lol
    Most fans are pissed off right now and as much as I WANT to ignore it...I just can't!

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Boycott the Flyers? Some fans are planning on it.

by Sarah Baicker of csnphilly.com

Let’s be honest. Right now, the stereotype of the average committed hockey fan is that of a sucker.

The NHL lockout lasted an absurd 113 days. Supporters of the sport felt frustrated and taken advantage of by both the league and its players. But all along, even in fan circles, the thinking has been: They’ll be back. They returned after the lockout of 1994-95. They came back after an entire season was lost in 2004-05. They’ll be back this time, too.

They’re certainly a minority, but a sizable contingent of Flyers fans says that’s not the case. At least, not right away. Otherwise, what’s to say we won’t be back in this situation a few years from now?

“I'm boycotting the rest of the season and playoffs,” said Karen Kemmerer of Andreas, Pa. “No tickets, no jerseys, no T-shirts, no hats, no Center Ice ... nothing. I will watch whatever is available on my regular TV package, but no extras.

“I love everything about hockey, but the only way I get to cast my vote is with my wallet, and I plan on doing just that. Perhaps if enough of us do it, they'll all think twice eight years from now.”

Said Flyers fan Eric Bowman of Lancaster, Pa.: “I would applaud to see an empty arena for one game around the league to prove a point that fans matter.”

It won’t happen, but Bowman is far from alone in finding joy in the idea of an empty NHL arena on opening day. There’s even an online campaign encouraging fans to boycott one game for every game that was lost after Dec. 21, 2012: Just Drop It.

“I joined Just Drop It and will be skipping 10 games,” said Michael Oldroyd of Mays Landing, N.J. “No tickets, no merchandise, no TV, nothing. I hate it so much, but they need to know how wrong this was. Owners and players come and go. We are fans of our teams for life.

“Just because it's impossible for the fans to organize as an entire group, they should still respect us as a partner in their ‘business.’ They need to hear how much this affects our lives as hockey fans. I am still mad. I will not be watching.”

As of Thursday afternoon, the Just Drop It Facebook page had more than 23,000 likes.

A few other members of the Just Drop It movement said they planned to spend money only on non-NHL games and will only watch the Flyers on television. Based on the more than 100 messages CSNPhilly.com received regarding the issue, that seems like a popular method for fans who wish to express their displeasure without ignoring the entire season.

“I plan to watch the NHL on ‘free’ TV, like NBC and CSN, but I will not pay to attend a game or buy any NHL merchandise during the shortened season,” said John Saquella of Cape May, N.J. “I feel the lockout was unnecessary, and looking at the final agreement (or what has leaked out) I feel even more strongly about that.”

Some fans who still plan to attend games – whether because they’d already purchased tickets or not – have found a way to express their displeasure without losing out on the sport or sacrificing money: avoiding the concession stands at the Wells Fargo Center.

“At least for this season I won't be buying any food or merch at the games, and I normally spend a few thousand a year on jerseys, hats, sweatshirts, pins, etc.,” said Marty Crennan of Philadelphia.

The same goes for Micah Goldsberry, also of Philadelphia, a Flyers season ticket holder.

“[We] won’t be buying any merchandise or concessions, and will make an effort to let the NHL/Flyers organization know how we feel about the lockout,” he said.

Lest you think the fans who say they plan to hold onto money they would have spent on hockey if not for the lockout are making empty threats, some have already taken action.

“I was a Flyers season ticket holder until the beginning of December,” said Denis Glavin of Media, Pa. “Once the first round of players/owners only meetings failed, I was done. I cancelled my tickets with the Flyers, and vowed that I would not spend a single cent on any tickets or merchandise that the NHL can collect revenue on.

“To this day, I have successfully followed through with this, and have yet to spend any money on NHL products, and don't plan on it either.”

There are plenty of others. E-mails rolled in to CSNPhilly about boyfriends refusing to buy jerseys for their girlfriends for Christmas; about ticket-holders who planned to eat and drink only in the parking lot before games; about fans from across the country who won't buy GameCenter LIVE and won't shell out the money to see the Flyers play in their home arenas.

These are true fans – dedicated, lifelong fans of the sport. But their faith in hockey's leadership is gone. Perhaps Jim Corso of Levittown, Pa., said it best.

“Why am I going to waste my money with that when they take the sport away every eight years?”

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...075&feedID=695

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,091 Times in 59,905 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samarchepas View Post
    You try to act like you don't care about the NHL but really, if you do visit this thread...YOU DO care! :lol
    Most fans are pissed off right now and as much as I WANT to ignore it...I just can't!
    If you haven't noticed, I kinda post everywhere....kinda goes along with running the site and making sure there's nothing naughty going on

That said, I couldn't care less about the NHL this season if I tried.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oilers looked pretty good last night. They definitely have a shot at the playoffs. And the Canucks could definitely miss them

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Blackhawks score 11 goals in 2-0 start
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oilers looked pretty good last night. They definitely have a shot at the playoffs. And the Canucks could definitely miss them
    I guess the whole "Lou to Toronto" is on hold, huh?
    I think Schneider will be great soon BUT he doesn't have enough experience yet.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Blackhawks v Canuckleheads tonight
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Pretty good game... the Luongo plot thickens

Trade Schneider

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts