Page 159 of 277 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 157 158 159 160 161 169 209 259 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 4153

Thread: NHL and other ice hockey discussion

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    So rallying that the CT Whale is now gone and they are once again the Wolfpack
    Dammit Ken Gernander, you had best make your team practice five thousand penalty shots.

I liked me date much more than I thought I was going to

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    First episode of 24/7 was a bit of a let-down compared to the two prior seasons, but still fun no less. Anyone else seen it yet?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Ummmm... no.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Did you watch two years ago? It's an HBO 4-part series leading up to the NHL Winter Classic. This is the third time they've done it. Cameras are allowed to follow the two teams who will be featured, pretty much unfiltered. It's pretty incredible to get access to elite sports teams (and the Leafs) like that, definitely my favorite sports documentary series.

Your Flyers were done two years ago, that's what got me really liking them as a team.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I don't have HBO, so I didn't get to see it.

My Flyers suck really hard this year.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I drafted Giroux with my first pick, 5th overall in my 16 man pool He's picked it up recently at least.

I don't have HBO either, I just 'borrow' it from the internet. It's not usually very tough to find.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'm sorry to say, but after the last strike, I've kinda fallen out of love with the NHL. That and since the Thrashers have left Atlanta, I don't get as many games on Dish Network anymore. Sometimes they'll show the Predators, sometimes the Hurricanes, but for the most part they're just games I can't get into.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ya I was wondering if you or Lance had gotten back into it. That's too bad. Funny to see revenues still jumping like they did. All the suckers like me couldn't stick to our guns and punish the league/players for their bullshit Fuck

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ok, I'm watching hockey now because I hate basketball and there's nothing else on TV.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Ya I was wondering if you or Lance had gotten back into it. That's too bad. Funny to see revenues still jumping like they did. All the suckers like me couldn't stick to our guns and punish the league/players for their bullshit Fuck
    I am just hear to say fuck you. 3-2 loss at home. Grrrr
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

You still got a point.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (12-21-2013)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    I am just hear to say fuck you. 3-2 loss at home. Grrrr
    I thought that was going to turn into a laugher when Chi was up by 2 goals so quickly.

Getting beaten by the Canucks in a shootout is pretty wacky. We suck balls at it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (12-21-2013)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Ok, I'm watching hockey now because I hate basketball and there's nothing else on TV.
    Good time to get back into it. The World Juniors are starting very soon, then it's Olympic hockey! So pumped.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

NHL selling out more arenas than the NBA

By Greg Wyshynski - Puck Daddy

The surging popularity of the National Hockey League in the U.S. can’t be denied.

The revenue confirms it. The ratings confirm it. The buzz around star players and successful teams, nationally and locally, confirms it. We just had over 105,000 fans watch a game worth two points in the standings, freezing their rumps off in the snow.

It’s been an ongoing trend since the League rebooted after the 2005 lockout. There’s been some luck involved, like Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin arriving and having a steady parade of big market teams in the Stanley Cup Final. But the end result is still an unprecedented level of enthusiasm for the product.

Meanwhile, what the National Basketball Association has experienced over the last five years can be correctly termed an “enthusiasm gap.” Some markets thrive because their teams are winners; other markets that had winning teams once upon a time have decided the product is stale; still other markets simply haven’t built, or rebuilt, fan bases due to a lack of success.

In 2013-14, the comparison between the leagues reveals how stark a difference in enthusiasm we’re seeing. Or, at the very least, how much more aggressive the NHL is being in pushing its product.

From Nina Falcone of CSN Chicago, news of sellouts in the land of puck and lack thereof on the hardwood:

Throughout the 2013-14 season, 15 NHL markets have averaged at least 100 percent capacity in their home stands: The Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks, Montreal Canadiens, Philadelphia Flyers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Calgary Flames, Vancouver Canucks, Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals, Minnesota Wild, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, Boston Bruins, San Jose Sharks and Winnipeg Jets.

The Red Wings lead the charts at a 118.5 percent capacity, an average of 23,780 fans per game, while the Blackhawks take second at a 109.2 percent capacity, averaging 21,528 fans per game. (Note: Without the Winter Classic, the Red Wings are averaging 20,066 fans per game. If you don't count the outdoor game, the Blackhawks are leading the attendance charts. Expect the Blackhawks to get a healthy bump when they play their game at Soldier Field on March 1.)

The NBA, on the other hand, has only eight markets averaging at least 100 percent capacity this season: The Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks, New York Knicks, Miami Heat, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Clippers, Oklahoma City Thunder and Houston Rockets.

From ESPN.com’s charts, here’s how this thing breaks down through Wednesday night:

Pretty impressive, right? And of the 15 teams that are selling out every night, 10 are located in the U.S., which hasn’t always been the case in the NHL when it comes to full capacity.

More impressive: The NHL traditionally has higher ticket prices than the NBA. For example, in the 2012-13 season the NHL had an average ticket price of $61.01 which topped that of the NBA ($50.99) according to Team Marketing Report. (And that was in a year with a lockout for the NHL.)

Yes, the numbers are incredible. Look at road attendance: The NBA has 16 teams playing on the road to buildings 90 percent or higher in capacity filled; the NHL has 29(!) teams playing in buildings with 90 percent or higher capacity.

But then again, it was the same way in 2011-12, too; 29 NHL road teams playing in buildings with a 90-percent or higher capacity; and 12 NBA teams doing the same.

And wait a moment … 16 teams played to 100 percent or higher capacity at home in 2011-12 as well, over 41 home dates!

What about 2010-11? Oh, man, upset: Only 28 road teams played in buildings that had 90 percent or better filled capacity for the season.

The teams that sold out every night in 2010-11? There were 12 of them, with the Los Angeles Kings (99.8 percent), Minnesota Wild (99.7), New York Rangers (99.5) and Ottawa Senators (99.3) less than one percent away from joining the total.

None of this is meant to provide needles for the NHL’s balloons. It’s completely accurate to say that the League has seen a surge at the gate in many markets, and that success from three years ago has been sustained through a work stoppage. It’s been over 15 years in the making, but it can be argued that the NHL is hot and the NBA is not.

But this is also a reminder that, in the end, attendance figures are rubbish.

Both leagues go with “tickets distributed.” Not sold, not a turnstile count, but distributed. It’s a completely nebulous bit of creative accounting that is easily manipulated by a team if it needs to, say, keep a sellout streak alive.

Unlike puck possession, is one case where what you observe at the rink is always going to be more accurate than the stats: How many times have you been to the arena, seen empty rows and luxury boxes and yet the game is a sellout?

Remember when Jerry Moyes bankrupted the Phoenix Coyotes? One of the documents in the case was about turnstile count vs. reported attendance. The Coyotes’ tickets distributed in 2008-09: 14,626 on average for 41 home dates. The turnstile count, according to Moyes: 10,943 fans on average.

Look, hockey fans: We can still pop the champagne here. The League’s really, really going strong. We’ve taken slings and arrows from basketball fans while watching the diminishing returns of the NBA – a league that has its stars clustered on a handful of teams while desperately trying to generate new ones on moribund franchises – and it’s good to see hockey’s popularity getting recognized in comparison with its arena-mates.

But never lose sight of the fact that attendance is a shell game of frequently fudged numbers. Our league’s always been pretty damn good at papering buildings – 14,709 a night for the Florida Panthers this season? – and maybe we’re just better at it, overall, than the other guys.

Or maybe hockey's just cooler and better and more awesome and popular than basketball. We'll also accept that answer.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

FBD (01-11-2014), Godfather (01-10-2014)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'm thrilled to see the NHL thrive for the most part. I have a dream that one day, the NHL will be like the NFL and make so much revenue on tv/online viewership that stadium ticket prices don't matter because they don't actually need anyone to come to games to be profitable The teams that charge out the ass can bring the prices down again. Instead of a bunch of buttoned-up yuppies in the lower bowl who show up late, dick around on their blackberries, and get pissed when you stand and cheer... there can actually be fun-loving passionate fans, and a real home-ice advantage back in the stadium (and people will be able to afford a few beers to get riled up).

I've met all these awesome fans, especially in Toronto and Vancouver, wearing jerseys and rattling off stats but they've never been to a game because it's that expensive. That's just sad.

/rant
    Last edited by Godfather; 01-10-2014 at 07:18 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

FBD (01-11-2014)