Thread: NHL and other ice hockey discussion

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    Washington 3
    Boston 2

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Avalanche 3
    Flyers 1

Wish I didn't watch this. Now I'm in a bad mood.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Don't feel too bad, the Avs are 3rd in the league overall right now, they've only lost 8 games. Flyers are still looking like a playoff team!

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Damn. Flyers forward Oskar Lindblom has been diagnosed with Ewing’s sarcoma which is a rare form cancer

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...gnosed-cancer/

Apparently the treatment is intense and aggressive and may involve removal of bone in his leg. Praying for a recovery and a return to hockey but it's not good.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (12-14-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (12-17-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That's fucking awful. The most extreme treatment for that is amputation, depending on where it's located.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (12-17-2019)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

The SJW's are coming....

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    The SJW's are coming....
    Let them come. They'll just get cross-checked head-first into the boards, eh.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It's an economics problem. Hockey is STUPID expensive, and to make it all the way to the NHL (which like 0.01 of kids do obviously), you need a shit ton of money. Gear, ice time, league fees, private lessons... it's insane. It's really no wonder you see so many 2nd and 3rd gen NHL'ers, not only is that experience helpful but the money is a huge driver. I think you have to acknowledge that basically every black NHL'er including current ones has experienced racist slurs thrown at them growing up and that's horrible, but I think the far bigger issue is the cost barrier. Not sure how you tackle that, it's just getting more expensive, and more competitive.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    It's an economics problem. Hockey is STUPID expensive, and to make it all the way to the NHL (which like 0.01 of kids do obviously), you need a shit ton of money. Gear, ice time, league fees, private lessons... it's insane. It's really no wonder you see so many 2nd and 3rd gen NHL'ers, not only is that experience helpful but the money is a huge driver. I think you have to acknowledge that basically every black NHL'er including current ones has experienced racist slurs thrown at them growing up and that's horrible, but I think the far bigger issue is the cost barrier. Not sure how you tackle that, it's just getting more expensive, and more competitive.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    NBC suspends Jeremy Roenick for inappropriate comments on podcast

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1912645
    On the podcast, Roenick discussed a vacation to Portugal when he and his wife traveled with co-worker Kathryn Tappen, and he made multiple references to the three having sex together.

"I play it off like we're going to bed together every night, the three of us," Roenick said. "If it really came to fruition, that would be really good, but it's never going to happen."

Roenick went on to say Tappen is "one of the most professional sports personalities I know."

Later in the episode, Roenick discussed fellow NHL on NBC panelists and former NHLers Patrick Sharp and Anson Carter.

Roenick called Sharp beautiful, saying "I'd have to think about it if he asked me."

"I wouldn't say no right away," he added.

"It's good to have a beautiful face that talks well that knows the game because it's totally the opposite when me and Anson get on there," Roenick continued.

Roenick has been with NBC since 2010. He was hired shortly after his 20-year playing career ended.

This is my favorite podcast so I listened to the episode. JR and his wife went on vacation with his co-host and close friend NBC host Kathyn Tappen. While his comments were cheeky... they're close friends and it was all said very, very tongue-in-cheek. He then went on to praise her (as the article mentions) with the utmost sincerity.

This is a joke, probably fueled by mainstream hatred of Barstool... NBC are losers.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The battle for the Calder trophy for rookie of the year looks like it's between two young d-men... I haven't googled it but I'm sure it hasn't happened in a very long time, if ever? Cale Makar from the Avs will probably win, he's at 40 points in less games than Quinn Hughes from our Canucks who's also tied as of today at 40 points but is a bit younger. They're both so good. It's been so fun to see a d-man on the Nucks this good offensively, I don't think we've ever had a defenseman nearly as good at moving the puck and scoring.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Last time the Bruins had a Calder Trophy winner that really turned out to be a superstar was Ray Bourque and that was 40 years ago

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Jay Bouwmeester collapsed on the bench tonight during a game. Scary stuff.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (02-12-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Update Bouwmeester 'alert' and undergoing tests after suffering cardiac episode and collapsing on Blues' bench during game

Jim Thomas - The St. Louis Post-Dispatch

ANAHEIM, Calif. — Veteran Blues defenseman Jay Bouwmeester was conscious and alert in an Orange, Calif., hospital after suffering a cardiac episode and collapsing as he sat on the bench during the first period of the team's game with the Anaheiim Ducks on Tuesday night.

Bouwmeester had just completed a shift with the game tied 1-1 at Honda Center. As Blues players skated to the bench during a TV timeout, Bouwmeester collapsed.

Teammates Vince Dunn and Alex Pietrangelo were near Bouwmeester at the time and when they saw what happened they started waving frantically for medical help.

Players from both teams watched from the ice as Blues medical trainers and Anaheim trainers and physicians rushed to Bouwmeester's aid.

Bouwmeester was rushed to a nearby hospital with his father Dan by his side. It was the team's Dads' Trip, so 21 fathers (or in a couple of cases friends or relatives) accompanied the players on this two-game road trip.

A couple of hours later, Blues general manager Doug Armstrong issued a statement released by the team:

"With 7:50 remaining in the first period of our game tonight, Jay Bouwmeester suffered a cardiac episode and collapsed on our bench after completing his shift. Thankfully, with the quick response of our medical trainers, Anaheim medical trainers and their team physicians, they were able to stabilize Jay.

"He was alert and moving all of his extremities as he was transported to UC Irvine Medical Center. Currently, Jay is conscious and alert as he undergoes further testing by Anaheim's physicians. We will update Jay's condition on Wednesday morning."

Shortly after Bouwmeester was put on a stretcher near the visiting team tunnel and wheeled away, players from both teams left the ice. About 15 minutes later, the game was postponed, with the NHL stating "a decision on when the game will be played will be made in the near future."

The Blues, and all the Dads (who are traveling on the team charter) originally were scheduled to fly out of Anaheim following the game for Las Vegas, where they play the Golden Knights on Thursday. But the team decided to stay in Orange County overnight once they learned of Bouwmeester's condition.

The wait obviously was excruciating for all involved. With curtains set up in what normally is an open hallway leading into the visiting team locker room at Honda Center, security made sure no one who wasn't supposed to be there entered the area.

Fathers stood silently in the hallway, occasionally speaking in whispered tones — all wearing their son's Blues jersey, as is the custom for game nights on the Dads Trip.

Blues players milled about the locker room area in shorts and T-shirts, some on the phone, as was coach Craig Berube for a while.

Janitors arriving for their nightly cleanup detail in the area were politely shooed away by security. "Not now," they were told.

After a while, the team equipment staff began its normal chore of packing up sticks, padding, helmets, skates and uniforms and wheeling them in carts out to the team buses.

Once the news came that Bouwmeester was OK, the area quickly cleared and the team (and Dads) headed back to the hotel. Armstrong is expected to provide an update after the team arrives in Vegas early Wednesday afternoon.

The hockey community rallied around Bouwmeester, with teams around the league tweeting words of support.

"Praying for Bo!" tweeted former teammate T.J. Oshie.

"We join the hockey community and the St. Louis Blues in sending our thoughts and prayers to Jay Bouwmeester and his family," the Pittsburgh Penguins tweeted.

"Sending my thoughts and prayers to Jay Bouwmeester, his family and the @StLouisBlues," said Blackhawks goalie Robin Lehner.

Some of the tweets had the hashtag "prayforJay."

At 36 years, 4 months, Bouwmeester is the oldest member of the Blues. His career looked in doubt after a poor start to last season, but his game rebounded and he was playing so well at the end that the Blues renewed his contract for this season.

He told the Post-Dispatch last week that he wanted to play again next season, but that there had been no discussions with the Blues. "They've got more important players to worry about," he said, a reference no doubt to Pietrangelo, who is a free agent after this season.

The soft-spoken Bouwmeester is held in high regard in the Blues dressing room and across the NHL because of his experience, wisdom and skill.

When Pietrangelo received the Stanley Cup last season after the Blues victory in Boston, the first player he handed the Cup to was Bouwmeester, who had played 1,184 games in the league before winning it.

On the international stage, he has represented Canada on gold-medal teams in the Olympics, World Championships and World Cup.

Not sure how the topic came up, but several Blues players only half-jokingly said last season that if they had to be stranded on a desert island with one teammate, it would be Bouwmeester because of his survival skills.

(He is known for his "outdoorsman" skills — camping, hiking and biking in the hills and mountains near his Alberta home.)

The Edmonton native had an ironman streak of 737 games end early in the 2014-15 season. It's the ninth-longest in NHL history.

A defense-first defenseman, Bouwmeester has usually been teamed with Colton Parayko on the Blues' shutdown pairing, going up against the other team's top scoring line.

Tuesday's incident was reminiscent of one on May 11, 1998, when Blues defenseman Chris Pronger was hit in the chest by a puck shot by Dmitri Mironov of Detroit. Pronger fell down, covered up the puck, then got up, took two strides and collapsed. He was unconscious for about 20 seconds.

The puck had caused Pronger's heart to skip a beat. He spent the night at a hospital in Detroit and was back in action four days later.

While a member of the Detroit Red Wings last March, Blues forward Jacob de la Rose left a game against the New York Rangers because of an accelerated heart rate, was hospitalized overnight in New York, and underwent surgery in April.

“I’ve had no issues since I had the surgery or the operation there,” de la Rose told the Post-Dispatch after coming to St. Louis in the Robby Fabbri trade in early November. “That was obviously scary when it happened, but I had a good summer and I haven’t felt it ever since.”

De la Rose was cleared for play this season and appeared in the first 16 games for Detroit prior to the trade.

“I just rested a few weeks after the surgery and I was able to start working out and kind of ramp it up as the summer went on,” he said. “I don’t even think about it anymore.”

In Tuesday's game, Adam Henrique put Anaheim ahead on a redirection of a shot by Hampus Lindholm 5:29 into the first. The puck appeared to deflect off the skate of Blues defenseman Justin Faulk and past goal Jake Allen.

Ivan Barbashev evened the score on the first goal by a forward in two-plus games. Jordan Kyrou, back in the lineup after being a healthy scratch against Dallas, snagged a loose puck as Anaheim tried to get it out of their zone.

He passed to Barbashev, who was behind the Anaheim defense and flipped it high past goalie John Gibson for his eighth goal of the season. Barbashev had gone nine games without a goal and the assists was Kyrou's first point since Dec. 29.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (02-12-2020), Godfather (02-13-2020)