Thread: NHL and other ice hockey discussion

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    that ref should lose his job and get beaten with a rubber hose

but since he's being paid by someone for this behavior, I dont think it will stop
    I disagree. I think Peele probably realized he made a bad call in favor of the Preds earlier (maybe he saw video and realized he made a mistake - these guys are human and this is the fastest game on earth so it happens), and wanted a penalty to make it even. Simple as that.

People don't like the way the sound bite comes off as it reads as him having some vendetta against the Preds, but this line of 'make-up call' mentality is very very normal in the game of hockey from TimBits 5-year old leagues, up to the pros. The game is too fast to get every call right every single play, so refs sometimes need to even things out with a soft call the other direction. Peele got caught saying it which I guess is a tough look, but I sort of already assumed everyone who knows hockey knows that refs think this way at every level.

I absolutely don't think he deserved to lose his job over this.
    Last edited by Godfather; 03-25-2021 at 03:31 AM.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I disagree. I think Peele probably realized he made a bad call in favor of the Preds earlier (maybe he saw video and realized he made a mistake - these guys are human and this is the fastest game on earth so it happens), and wanted a penalty to make it even. Simple as that.

People don't like the way the sound bite comes off as it reads as him having some vendetta against the Preds, but this line of 'make-up call' mentality is very very normal in the game of hockey from TimBits 5-year old leagues, up to the pros. The game is too fast to get every call right every single play, so refs sometimes need to even things out with a soft call the other direction. Peele got caught saying it which I guess is a tough look, but I sort of already assumed everyone who knows hockey knows that refs think this way at every level.

I can see both sides of the argument, but being caught on a hot mic kinda forced the NHL's hand. You can't be blatantly saying that you are wanting to call a penalty on a particular team, whether you think the penalty was 'needed' to make up for a bad or missed call earlier in the game. We don't need the NHL to become the NBA where the officiating is just a joke and the refs there make no attempt to hide the fact that they are biased against certain teams and/or certain players.

I understand that hockey is a fast game and that penalties get missed all the time, but there should never be a "make up" penalty because one got missed or because you think a penalty was unfairly called earlier against one team. Things are always going to get missed. That's part of the human element of the game. And while I'm sure that this is going to continue ("make up" penalties), it just needs to be left unsaid. I think the league did what they had to do, you can't let anyone even get the whiff of an idea that there may be something hinkey going on with the officiating or else people will start believing that the games are fixed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

FBD (03-25-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Why Tim Peel's hot mic incident should have long-term implications on NHL officiating

By Pete Blackburn - CBS Sports

One of the NHL's most controversial and maligned officials, Tim Peel, is done refereeing games at the NHL level. This much was announced Wednesday morning, just hours after Peel was caught on a hot mic admitting to handing out a bogus penalty while working a game.

During Tuesday night's Red Wings-Predators game in Nashville, Peel didn't realize his microphone was on and could be heard saying he "wanted to get" a penalty against the Preds.

"It wasn't much but I wanted to get a f---in' penalty against Nashville early in the..." Peel could be heard saying over the air before FOX Sports Nashville's broadcast cut to commercial.

It remains unknown why Peel went out of his way to penalize Nashville despite little provocation, but "game management" and make-up calls from officials are nothing new to the NHL. It's recognized (and often expected) as part of the game, but rarely is there ever any hard evidence proving that a referee committed to calling a game unfairly.

Tuesday's incident in Nashville was the exception, and it was damning enough that the NHL couldn't overlook it. Peel's admission was enough of the black eye that league swiftly announced he would "no longer be working NHL games now or in the future."

"Nothing is more important than ensuring the integrity of our game," NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell said in a statement released Wednesday. "Tim Peel's conduct is in direct contradiction to the adherence to that cornerstone principle that we demand of our officials and that our fans, players, coaches and all those associated with our game expect and deserve.

"There is no justification for his comments, no matter the context or his intention, and the National Hockey League will take any and all steps necessary to protect the integrity our game."

While this seems like a surprisingly strong (though entirely appropriate) action from a league that doesn't often hold officials accountable in a public forum, it can also be argued that it's not quite as harsh as it appears on the surface. Peel, 53, was set to retire from officiating at the end of this season anyway, so his dismissal only expedites his departure about a month early. No where in the NHL's statement does it say that Peel was "fired" or "terminated" or anything of the like. Just that he won't work any additional games.

Some will view Peel's dismissal as the league feigning a moral stance while guiding him out the door slightly earlier than expected. Others will say that it's an adequate response that to the situation and the league's statement could serve as a warning shot to other officials who may find themselves in a similar set of circumstances moving forward.

Regardless of which camp you reside in, the next set of questions should be rather obvious: Where does the league go from here? Will this change anything? Would Peel have even gotten in trouble had he not been caught on a live mic? (I think we can all probably answer that last one.)

Again, "game management" has long been accepted as part of hockey. Many times we've seen one team get hosed on a penalty call (or non-call), only to be conveniently gifted a make-up call shortly thereafter. But why do we accept this as common practice? And, perhaps a better question, why are officials allowed to double-down on bad officiating without being held accountable by the league?

It's easy enough to look past this behavior and say it's just part of the game, but the NHL does have an opportunity to use this latest incident as a catalyst for meaningful change. The league could save a little face here by committing to accountability and transparency when it comes to on-ice officiating.

What might that look like? Well, for starters, the NHL could look at what the NBA does with its "Last Two Minute Reports." When it comes to those reports, the NBA investigates and analyzes the quality of officiating decisions toward the end of close games, and they release those findings to the public -- openly conveying when refs get things right or wrong.

The NHL could implement a similar system in which the league offices examine officiating decisions in each game and release reports on where things were called correctly or incorrectly. And before you rush to grab your pitchforks, that doesn't necessarily mean the league has to fine or suspend officials every time they get something wrong. There's a human element to officiating and the job is harder than most of us realize, especially in a game as fast as hockey.

But, at the very least, such a system would offer transparency to teams and fans and help the league keep receipts on the behavior of its officials. The NHL has been plagued by a number of major controversial officiating decisions in recent years -- many of them coming in highly consequential postseason situations when there seems to be a different (read: much more lenient) rulebook in place. Rarely has the league gone out of its way to publicly provide clarification or a consistent response to these controversies.

There also exists a strong lack of direct accountability and communication from the officials themselves. The NHL are almost never made available to the media after games, even in situations where an officiating decision may have had a significant impact on the game. The league occasionally directing officials to answer questions from reporters could also offer a channel of clarification and accountability.

There's also the chance that implementing this sort of system would also help create a greater general understanding of the ways certain penalties are called (or not called) on the ice as well. There tends to be a lot of discretion when it comes to how officials call minors and majors, particularly in instances of boarding, charging and targeting hits. If the league and its officials consistently make efforts to explain where they're coming from, the gray areas could be painted more black and white.

The Peel incident should serve as a bit of an awakening for how protected NHL officials are, even when it's generally acknowledged that they sometimes get things wrong on purpose, and how we're only promised accountability when a microphone is accidentally switched on. If nothing else, having the NHL commit to simply acknowledging when an official performs poorly would be a step in the right direction.

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts

Reality, the penalty needle getting a bit more sensitive after certain calls, but having a ref sit there thinking I have to penalize one team and I'm looking for just that...is just severely unprofessional. If the leagues want integrity then they will need to up their reffing game. Its one thing when its timbits, but when its a multibillion dollar professional sports league and shit tons of money exchanges hands betting on it, it just dents the integrity of the game. I dont watch football anymore because the refs alter the game so much...I dont want them to give me more reasons to avoid watching "professional" hockey.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FBD For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (03-26-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ya I agree with what you and lance are saying, really good points. It may be the culture but it's amateur hour when it gets out there on a hot mic. And I think the NHL already has the reputation at times for being the little brother of the other top tier leagues so there's not much latitude for this sort of stuff.

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    this is definitely one case where little brother does not want to be like big brother....when the betting tables start swaying games, the game has a problem

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    My Canucks are so fucked. 21/22 active players + 4 staff all got COVID in a matter of days, sounds like the Brazilian variant but with all the testing and protocols they have to follow I'm still somewhat shocked the virus spread through the team so quickly. This must be the biggest outbreak any pro team has seen so far?

They're all healthy young guys so I'm sure they'll all be fine, but they should just bow out of this season honestly. They won't have played for 2+ weeks when they cleared to play again, they're not making the playoffs anyways, especially with their schedule which will now be crushingly tight... just throw in the towel
    Last edited by Godfather; 04-09-2021 at 05:39 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (04-12-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Sad Death of 'Miracle on Ice' standout Mark Pavelich ruled a suicide

By Chris Bengel - CBS Sports

Last month, former "Miracle on Ice" hockey star Mark Pavelich was found dead in his Minnesota home. On Monday, a Minnesota medical examiner ruled Pavelich's death a suicide.

The Midwest Medical Examiner's Office in Anoka County ruled that Pavelich's death was a result of asphyxia. The 63-year old was staying at the Eagle's Healing Nest in Sauk Centre, Minnesota to undergo treatment after assaulting his neighbor in Cook County, Minnesota in August 2019.

Following the incident, Judge Michael Cuzzo ruled that Pavelich was "incompetent to stand trail" due to being mentally ill and a danger to others. Cuzzo stated that psychologists found that the former hockey star was suffering from delusions and paranoia, which could've led to the altercation. Pavelich was diagnosed with a mild neurocognitive disorder due to traumatic brain injuries, which likely occurred during his hockey career.

Pavelich was a huge part of the 1980 United States men's hockey team that won the gold medal at the Lake Placid Olympics. Pavelich dished out the assist on Mike Eruzione's game-winning goal against the Soviet Union in the tournament semifinals. He later sold his gold medal for $250,000.

Following his Olympic success, Pavelich played for the New York Rangers, Minnesota North Stars, and San Jose Sharks during his seven-year professional career. During that time, Pavelich registered 137 goals and 192 assists in 355 regular season games, which mostly came with the Rangers.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

FBD (04-13-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Kind of excited about the B's getting Taylor Hall. They didn't give up too much to get him and the upside is possibly huge. If he can regain even a sliver of what he was during his Hart Trophy season, it will be the steal of the trading session this year. And because that the B's gave up almost nothing, the downside is pretty much non-existent. Especially considering that the Sabers are still paying half his salary this year.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Kind of excited about the B's getting Taylor Hall. They didn't give up too much to get him and the upside is possibly huge. If he can regain even a sliver of what he was during his Hart Trophy season, it will be the steal of the trading session this year. And because that the B's gave up almost nothing, the downside is pretty much non-existent. Especially considering that the Sabers are still paying half his salary this year.
    Absolutely huge for you guys, he's a stud. The B's already have some incredibly cap friendly deals which look even better in this new 'flat cap' era. Really good stuff for them.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

FBD (04-14-2021), Teh One Who Knocks (04-14-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Absolutely huge for you guys, he's a stud. The B's already have some incredibly cap friendly deals which look even better in this new 'flat cap' era. Really good stuff for them.
    Two things give me a little bit of pause though. First, he's only scored two goals this season which isn't really great And two, the rumors that he's a locker room cancer, which could be the worse of the two issues. He is on a team now where he won't be expected to carry the load in any way shape or form, so he's got almost zero pressure on him.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

FBD (04-14-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Two things give me a little bit of pause though. First, he's only scored two goals this season which isn't really great And two, the rumors that he's a locker room cancer, which could be the worse of the two issues. He is on a team now where he won't be expected to carry the load in any way shape or form, so he's got almost zero pressure on him.
    Could help for sure, seems like he's primed for a comeback.

There's also one big fail-safe you to remember - even if you tank and it's all his fault, Hall has the best draft luck in the world - been on 3 separate teams that have won draft lottos, for a total of five first overall picks. Worst case scenario doesn't look so bad

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Hey Lance not sure if you care but the Bruins are still doing their behind the scenes doc this season which I always enjoy:

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (04-16-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Hall gets his first goal with the B's last night

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

FBD (04-16-2021), Godfather (04-17-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Hey Lance not sure if you care but the Bruins are still doing their behind the scenes doc this season which I always enjoy:

I'll have to check it out!