Thread: NHL and other ice hockey discussion

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I'll be honest, my initial gut reaction the night-of was to want to defend the play, just strictly by nature of being a hockey player and my heart not wanting to believe anyone could do something to stupid and reckless in this game. I've seen wild shit in hockey when you're moving with that much speed. Hip checks where it's a complete yard sale and skates go flying, people losing an edge and going ass over end... But what Petgrave did, lifting his leg on purpose to interfere with Johnson without any other contact that might justify an awkward fall, is clear and it's horrific. There's even a video of him kicking his leg out back in 2010, not getting as high, but pulling the same sort of shit.

I've watched the gif below 100 times and can't see any logical reason that his momentum would cause his skate to come up like strictly by accident or as part of a falling motion. It's impossible to defend.

[No gore]

For whatever it's worth, I read them omitting his name is some sort of standard law/practice in the UK, but obviously we know who it is... bozos online tried to speculate maybe it was the team medical staff for negligence at first. Some people are really desperate not to believe there's any fault here.
    Admittedly, I saw this first on the chans so it was straight to "N* murders white man on ice" in some form and it was straight to the video. I understand your position, though I never made it past neighborhood hockey at the lake down the street from where I grew up. Its just beyond imagination that anyone would do this purposefully. But there it was, although I dont think Petgrave meant to kill him, he's just a dirty bastard player doing dirty bastard shit. Its always lawshit the reason they dont say a name like that, but when its the case that they were already saying his name enough but the moment he gets arrested....its like what's the point, everyone paying attention already knows its him.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Love that you're following them this year, was worried you were off hockey! For a minute there, my nucks and the bruins were top 2 in the league! A rematch of 2011 gives me PTSD to think about but I'm here for it, if it happens (although I can't see us getting past Vegas out of the west, even if we magically make a deep run)

Went to the game tonight and the Nucks pulled out a 3-1 win, but it was against the Sharks who are now 3-14-1. The Sharks might just be the worst team in modern NHL history this year... truly hilarious.
    I've loved hockey forever, its nice to be able to catch games these days here and there, I dont have TV or cable or NHL subs, last I had cable tv was '99 I didnt think the Bruins "looked" that good this year at the outset esp w/o Bergeron, but they seem to be doing great so far!

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    I've loved hockey forever, its nice to be able to catch games these days here and there, I dont have TV or cable or NHL subs, last I had cable tv was '99 I didnt think the Bruins "looked" that good this year at the outset esp w/o Bergeron, but they seem to be doing great so far!
    I thought the Bruins would stink this year TBH, losing two incredible players... but I guess they just have that winning culture completely baked into their locker room at this point, and David Pastrnak is one of the best players in the league right now. Crazy... must be nice being a Bruins fan and having a team that hasn't sucked in so long, I can only dream

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

FBD (11-22-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I thought the Bruins would stink this year TBH, losing two incredible players... but I guess they just have that winning culture completely baked into their locker room at this point, and David Pastrnak is one of the best players in the league right now. Crazy... must be nice being a Bruins fan and having a team that hasn't sucked in so long, I can only dream
    hehe, I just wish they played seriously in the last 4 games of their playoff season last year nothing worse than your team kicking ass and then resting on their laurels with the "yeah we'll win, whatever" mindset and going from 3-0 to 3-4 in a series

I too thought they would be mediocre this year like the Caps after losing some of their players from their cup season. Would like to see OV reach that record!

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    hehe, I just wish they played seriously in the last 4 games of their playoff season last year nothing worse than your team kicking ass and then resting on their laurels with the "yeah we'll win, whatever" mindset and going from 3-0 to 3-4 in a series

I too thought they would be mediocre this year like the Caps after losing some of their players from their cup season. Would like to see OV reach that record!
    I was sure OV would do it coming into this season, I still sort of think he will even with only 5 goals in 16 games. He's 67 away with a .3% scoring pace which just with my napkin math mean another 216 games which is roughly this season and 2 more at a ~22 goal pace until he's 40. I think he can do it, it's just going to take 3-4 years and I'm not 100% sure he doesn't go back to Russia if he's slowing down.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I was sure OV would do it coming into this season, I still sort of think he will even with only 5 goals in 16 games. He's 67 away with a .3% scoring pace which just with my napkin math mean another 216 games which is roughly this season and 2 more at a ~22 goal pace until he's 40. I think he can do it, it's just going to take 3-4 years and I'm not 100% sure he doesn't go back to Russia if he's slowing down.
    from watching the Caps this year & last, it seems like a bigger part of the problem is their team is too shit to even have him with a lot of scoring chances, which necessarily slows him down big time

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    from watching the Caps this year & last, it seems like a bigger part of the problem is their team is too shit to even have him with a lot of scoring chances, which necessarily slows him down big time
    Definitely. They're winning games now, but low scoring.

Backstrom on LTIR really hurts Ovie's chances. I've heard that hip resurfacing surgery that he had is almost impossible to come back from too so good chance he's done. Kane just had it so we'll see how he does. Jovo and Kesler were never the same after theirs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

FBD (11-27-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    hip resurfacing....jfc

Backstrom was a good dude, sucks to see mfs get injuries like that. He was one of their big keys to success that cup year they had.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Well, a bit of a rough stretch for the B's there, giving up 5 and 7 goals in back-to-back games. Ouch.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

FBD (11-27-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    that was one hell of a sally'd pass that put that game out of reach for 'em last night

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The Corey Perry situation is a weird one. Booted from the team mid-road trip over inappropriate conduct. Team has moved to terminate his contract. Stupid rumors swelled up online (from a Vancouver based twitter troll I believe ) that it was because Perry fucked Bedard's mom. The internet absolutely ran with it and I think a lot of people genuinely believe it. What a grotesque rumor for an 18 year old, who already has to deal with so much media, to have to see online.

Team GM did a press conference yesterday stating clearly the conduct had nothing to do with any players or family, but they couldn't give specifics (which I guess makes sense, if anyone is fired their company usually can't comment on reasoning). New rumor is that he sexually harassed a team staff member... Wild drama though. Wonder if the truth ever comes out.

In other news, Patrick Kane signed with Detroit which I didn't really see coming but I like the Wings so that'll be fun to watch.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

FBD (11-30-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Destroyt still has a rink standing?

(either me or my younger brother came out with Destroyt in like '79 )

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I have clients in Windsor (which is a dump) who keep telling me "come out and visit, we'll take you for a night on the town in Detroit, it'll be awesome, it's gotten better!!"

I'm thinking... isn't that place a notorious shithole? I'm dragging my feet on that one...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

FBD (12-01-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I have clients in Windsor (which is a dump) who keep telling me "come out and visit, we'll take you for a night on the town in Detroit, it'll be awesome, it's gotten better!!"

I'm thinking... isn't that place a notorious shithole? I'm dragging my feet on that one...
    It is a notorious shithole, although you can probably go more by people that live there, if they go out and party on the city and its no big deal.

I mean compare NYC in the 80s vs today, its much more safe these days (thanks Rudy!)

Last edited by FBD; 12-01-2023 at 02:28 PM.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

FBD (01-02-2024), Godfather (12-16-2023)