Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread: The NBA thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    The Bulls are a JV HS team. Not that I pay attention to the the GRL (ghetto rounders league).
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

RIP

Boston Celtics legend John Havlicek passed away yesterday at 79.

“John was the best finisher I played with in 13 years. When you finished the way John did, give him the ball at the right time, the ball is in the damn hole.”
    — Bob Cousy, Celtics teammate of Havlicek

“Best all-around player I ever saw.”
    — Bill Russell, Celtics great, talking about Havlicek

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (04-26-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Ugh Toronto with that ridiculous buzzer beater. Now I have to hear about that on TSN for a week instead of hockey FU

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (05-14-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    My interest in the NBA barely registers anymore and once the Celtics are eliminated from the playoffs or don't make the playoffs, my interest drops into negative number territory.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    KD got hurt last night, Toronto fans cheered, everyone except for Drake who made a scene and acted like he was the one who got hurt. Now everyone's acting like Golden State is the underdog and wants Toronto to lose

Aaaand now all of America understands how the rest of Canada feels about Toronto

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I hate Golden State, I hope Toronto wins...even though I couldn't care less about the NBA at this point

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Coronavirus: What to know as NBA suspends season after Rudy Gobert tests positive for COVID-19

by James Herbert - CBS Sports

The 2019-20 NBA season has been suspended as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. The league announced at 9:31 p.m. ET on Wednesday that, following the games that night and until further notice, no games will be played while the league determines its next steps, as a Utah Jazz player has tested positive for COVID-19. The Athletic's Shams Charania reported that the player is center Rudy Gobert.

Is the season over?
    No. Suspending the season is not the same as canceling it. It is unclear what the rest of the season will look like, though, if it is played at all.

When will games resume?
    That is uncertain, but the shutdown could be lengthy. Teams were told by the NBA that a positive test would result in a 12-to-14 day quarantine for the player in question, per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. The incubation period of COVID-19 can be as long as two weeks, according to the CDC, which makes it difficult to identify people who have it. If it is difficult to contain the virus in general, it follows that it will be difficult to contain it within the NBA.

The league expects the hiatus will last two weeks at minimum, per the Associated Press' Tim Reynolds.

Did the Jazz play on Wednesday?
    No. They were scheduled to play the Oklahoma City Thunder, but the game was postponed. The announcement, however, did not come until after the scheduled tipoff time. Players, staff and fans had already filled Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City.

What happens with the players who had contact with Gobert?
    Gobert wasn't at the arena for the game, per the NBA, and didn't go to shootaround in the morning, per ESPN's Royce Young. He has been in close contact with his teammates, though, and both the Jazz and the Thunder were quarantined. Utah players will not be able to return to Salt Lake City until the team coordinates plans with public health organizations in both Oklahoma and Utah, per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Where this gets more complicated is determining who else will need to be quarantined. Utah played against the Toronto Raptors on Monday, and Toronto played against the Sacramento Kings on Sunday, and the whole league can be connected this way:

For now, according to ESPN's Brian Windhorst, the Raptors, Cleveland Cavaliers, New York Knicks, Boston Celtics and Detroit Pistons have been told to self-quarantine. The Jazz have played those teams in the past 10 days.

The effects of Gobert's positive test could go far beyond all this. In addition to the players he competed against, the team staff that has traveled with him and the media that has covered the team, it's worth thinking about everywhere he has been since he contracted the virus. For example, the Berkeley Beacon published a story on Wednesday about the Jazz practicing at Emerson College's gym last week. If there are more NBA players who have COVID-19 and haven't been tested, the scope of the spread could be much wider than we know.

What about the other games on Wednesday?
    Four games, which were all in progress when the announcement was made, were played. The New Orleans Pelicans and Sacramento Kings were scheduled to tip-off at 10:30, p.m. ET, but that too was canceled. This decision, according to the league, was made "with an abundance of caution," as referee Courtney Kirkland worked the Jazz-Raptors game on Monday.

What about playing the games without fans?
    This seemed to be the direction the league was heading. As recently as Wednesday evening, commissioner Adam Silver was expected to make an announcement on Thursday that games would continue in empty arenas, per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. Things changed quickly when Gobert tested positive for COVID-19.

What's the rationale for suspending games?
    The goal is to limit the spread of the virus. Several cities in the United States had already banned large public gatherings, as social distancing is generally an effective way to "flatten the curve" when it comes to the number of infections. In the case of COVID-19, Taiwan has set an example in terms of being proactive, containing the virus and avoiding overwhelming the healthcare system.

Wasn't Gobert the player who was joking about all of this?
    Yes, the NBA's "patient zero" touched the recorders and microphones in front of him after his media availability on Monday. In retrospect, not great.

What about practices?
    Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said that the league has informed teams that they can still hold practices, but players have been told they shouldn't have visitors from out of town, per ESPN's Tim MacMahon.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Godfather (03-12-2020), RBP (03-13-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    ^ I think Cuban's comments were really measured, good for him... but doesn't it just feel creepy seeing that? It's like watching history play out.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-13-2020), Teh One Who Knocks (03-12-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Cool Kevin Love announces $100,000 donation to Cleveland arena workers; Cavaliers, Hawks, Mavs follow

by Sam Quinn - CBS Sports

Coronavirus may not have a huge financial impact on wealthy NBA players, but it has the potential to be disastrous for those who work in or around the NBA in a non-basketball capacity. With no games being played, arena workers around the league that are paid on an hourly basis are suddenly out of a job. No unified plan has been presented to take care of those workers, so some people are taking it into their own hands.

One such example? Kevin Love. The Cleveland Cavaliers forward pledged a $100,000 donation to the the workers and support staff at Quicken Loans Arena impacted by this crisis with an Instagram post Thursday.

A post shared by on

So far, Love is one of the first major basketball figures to pledge financial support to displaced arena workers. The Cavaliers followed Love's lead, with a statement saying they will develop "a compensation plan to continue paying our event staff and hourly workforce that is impacted with the changes to our regular event schedule."

The generosity shown by both Love and the Cavs made one player on Cleveland's roster feel particularly proud:

"Incredible! Proud to be around such an amazing organization and people! Well done @kevinlove and @cavsdan," Larry Nance Jr. tweeted.

Mark Cuban of the Dallas Mavericks was the first team owner to promise wages to arena staff, though he has not yet figured out the specifics.

"I reached out to the folks at the arena and our folks at the Mavs to find out what it would cost to financially support people who aren't going to be able to come to work -- you know, they get paid by the hour, and this is their source of income," Cuban said during a press conference Wednesday. "We'll do some things there. We may ask them to go do some volunteer work in exchange, but we've already started the process of having a program in place. I don't have any details to give, but it's certainly something that's important to me."

Atlanta Hawks owner Tony Ressler followed Cuban's lead, according to Bill Shea of The Athletic. This is one of the greater indirect threats that the world faces amidst this crisis. Even a healthy person has quite a bit to lose financially if they are unable to work due to public health closures, and that could have a crippling effect on the economy. The league and its players can't protect everyone from financial harm, but doing its part to help its own employees would seem to be a logical point of intervention. The NBA may not be obligated to pay its workers right now, but Love was not obligated to do so either. He did so, and the league should follow his lead.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-13-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Anyone going to watch this new 10 part Jordan doc The Last Dance? I hear it was on ESPN tonight in the US and Netflix tomorrow night in Canada and the UK. Not a big basketball guy but it looks good.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Anyone going to watch this new 10 part Jordan doc The Last Dance? I hear it was on ESPN tonight in the US and Netflix tomorrow night in Canada and the UK. Not a big basketball guy but it looks good.

No desire to watch it. Basketball is my least favorite sport of the "Big 4" (and barely above the MLS) and I am NOT a Jordan fan in the least.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i was a huge jordan fan growing up, when i used to actually follow sports.

but i likely won't watch it for awhile

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    For me, despite that he was a talented player, I put him in the 'overrated' camp, along with Lebron James.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, the memories from my childhood with jordan being a dominant force winning 6 championships only split by his time playing baseball are pretty strong. i understand others have differing opinions, but it would be disingenuous for me to argue about walton, chamberlain, etc, as i didn't really watch them play. jordan was around when my appetite for basketball was at its peak