#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

In the Air Tonight: Phil Collins Quits the Music Biz

by Brandi Fowler - E! Online

Against all odds, Phil Collins is ditching his music career.

Not without good reason, however.

The famed Genesis drummer and vocalist (and successful solo artist) cited medical issues as the reason for his retirement, saying years of drumming resulted in a variety of health issues, including hearing loss, a dislocated vertebrae and nerve damage in his hands.

Despite his seven Grammy wins, an Oscar, 13 hit singles and more than 150 million albums sold as a solo artist, Collins has seen his share of criticism, with critics panning much of his work over the years years.

"You don't have to be great to be successful. Look at Phil Collins," Oasis drummer Noel Gallagher famously said, for example.

Collins seemed resigned to the abuse, telling FHM, "I'm sorry that it was all so successful. I honestly didn't mean it to happen like that. It's hardly surprising that people grew to hate me."

And this isn't exactly Collins' first attempt to exit the music industry. He moved to Switzerland to do just that, and now lives in a remote town in the country with his two sons.

In 2009, Collins hinted at his impending retirement on the Genesis website, after he dislocated a vertebrae in his neck that prevented him from playing the drums or piano.

"I was going to stop drumming anyway," Collins said. "I had stopped. I don't miss it."

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    not that he has made much stuff over the last few years anyway but he has made some good memorable stuff over the years

love Ghallagers comment..................at least collins is not a mancunian twat!

They say that life's a carousel, Spinning fast, you've got to ride it well. The world is full of Kings and Queens, Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I dunno why people ripped Collins all the time...for the most part I liked his stuff. Sure, there were some things he did that I didn't care for, but that goes the same for every musician/band out there that I like.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    its the fact its ghallagher makes me laugh................all the singing and tonal qualities of a drowning horse and the song writing abilities of John Prescott on Mogadon against a guy who was in Genesis ffs!......and im not even a genesis fan but they totally pwn oasis

They say that life's a carousel, Spinning fast, you've got to ride it well. The world is full of Kings and Queens, Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oh I agree! I never liked Oasis at all, especially even more when they tried to keep telling everyone just how great they are

I was more commenting on how the story mentions that Collins was always put down by others (including musicians and critics). Makes no sense...like you said, he was in Genesis, and whether you are a fan or not, Genesis is gonna go down in history as one of the greater bands of all time for what they did in music.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'm sorry but I hate his music

I am fixed

"Somedays I wake up and feel like nobody loves me. Other days I wake up and feel like I love nobody. Sometimes I wake up and feel tired, and worn out. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I cannot face the day. But someday I'll wake up and realize that waking up is pretty stupid because it just makes you feel like crap."

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I really enjoyed his music from the Genesis Seconds Out album to Invisible Touch, after that, Genesis and his solo music started to suffer from the stardom syndrome that always destroys talented careers. He became so full of himself, first shitting on Genesis, then his ego being shot into orbit from his academy award.

Even South Park devoted an episode to show what an ass he became, it ended with the award being shoved up his ass.

When the reunion tour and DVD came out called When In Rome, I was looking forward to seeing it, then was thoroughly disappointed in how bad his voice had become. It wasn't just the fact he's older now, his voice was shot and he would try to force the old tones so it would just always sound off key.

From the good ol' days! Some of my all time favorites.

Last edited by AntZ; 03-06-2011 at 06:27 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    One of my favorites...

Gravity Has Gotten The Best Of Me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

had a bit of a bodyhair problem tho....lol

Shelter Dweller Midnight_Beacon's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I liked their music at one point, then the later stuff I just wasn't as into. Since it's for his health that he's stopped music, I hope he actually sticks to it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I think he's a very talented songwriter and a good singer, but I hated his drum work

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    I dunno why people ripped Collins all the time...for the most part I liked his stuff. Sure, there were some things he did that I didn't care for, but that goes the same for every musician/band out there that I like.
    This is pretty much how I feel...he never offended me or made music that was horrible in my opinion.I like the usual songs and that song Against All Odds I think it's called, from some sucky movie

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 5,212 Posts
    He had talent of the "poppy" sort. The show must end eventually, a little too late for some..

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    I feel bad for him having to quit because of a medical reason. Its like one of me ol drummer's pops, he had to quit playing trumpet because of TGN, kill his entire career because playing gave him crazy headaches.

Like all methods they are to be dropped at some point...

I wasnt particularly a fan, but that's neither here nor there