Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football Thread (Association aka Soccer)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    For Muddy:

The 2015 Women’s World Cup brought in almost $73 million - players got 13%.
    The 2018 Men’s World Cup in South Africa made almost $4 billion - players got 9%.
    The 2019 Women’s World Cup made about $131 million - players got 20%.

There is no pay discrimination.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Goofy (07-09-2019), Muddy (07-08-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (07-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    For Muddy:
    Do you have a source on this? Im getting killed on reddit.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post

The source is in the original article that RBP did the Cliff Notes version for you.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    So they're not going to the White House, but they'll take up Pelosi and AOC's (?) offer to go to the Capitol.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    So they're not going to the White House, but they'll take up Pelosi and AOC's (?) offer to go to the Capitol.
    Please see my post from the other day:

Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    They're pathetic.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post

The source is in the original article that RBP did the Cliff Notes version for you.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I wonder if Morgan and Rapinoe will equally share their millions in endorsement deals with the rest of the team.

'cause you know, equal pay and all....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (07-12-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    I wonder if Morgan and Rapinoe will equally share their millions in endorsement deals with the rest of the team.

I'd share something with Morgan

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    I'd share something with Morgan

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (07-12-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-12-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

USWNT isn’t the feel-good story we’re told they are

By Phil Mushnick - The New York Post

Perhaps I’m a party-pooper by nature and nurture. When I was a kid I heard the music from the ice cream truck then excitedly asked my father for a quarter.

“No,” he said, “they play that music when they’re out of ice cream.”

Unless you never heard that one, it’s an old one. Otherwise, it’s mine. But the risk of being condemned as a killjoy makes me defensive. “Our” team won, didn’t it? That’s what counts! USA! USA!

It’s a relentless insult: TV demands intelligent viewers ignore what they see to believe only what they’re told. Seconds after the US team won the Women’s World Cup on Sunday, Fox’s lead analyst Aly Wagner, former US World Cupper, gushed this:

“The way they’ve lifted a nation! The way they’ve lifted a gender! It’s something to behold! … They’ve done so much more and against all odds!” Was that for our ears or our pancakes?

Against all odds? The US was the overwhelming, odds-on favorite.

They lifted a gender? It was the Women’s World Cup! Even Mike Francesa could accurately tout the winners would be a women’s team.

They lifted a nation? How so? Was Wagner unaware that this team invited scorn, turning off so many who would have normally and naturally fully supported it? Could Wagner have been unaware that “we” were represented by those wearing Team USA uniforms while performing acts of choreographed immodesty and mockery of opponents?

Or was Wagner under the impression Americans can’t distinguish right from wrong, and thus provided blind, drooling, unconditional love?

In Sunday’s 2-0 final over the Netherlands, let’s examine “our” goals.

The second goal was scored in traffic by Rose Lavelle, who next awaited the arrival of teammates for a group celebration — a classy, welcome scene given what we’d seen.

The first goal was the work of Alex Morgan, who drew a penalty kick when nearly kicked in the head. But all-about-me Megan Rapinoe was the beneficiary. She was assigned and made the PK, which, at this level, was fully expected.

As her teammates rushed toward her to celebrate a goal that didn’t singularly belong to her, Rapinoe ran from them, to the far sideline to stand alone while striking an all-about-me diva pose.

The team’s captain, starting when Rapinoe ran half the field to demonstrate nauseating self-regard after her goal against Thailand made it, geez, 9-0, should have had a chat with Rapinoe, suggesting she play with a tad more class.

But Rapinoe, a foul-mouthed stage hog who gave the national anthem her kiss-off in protest of President Tweet — as if it were her duty to exploit US World Cup matches for that purpose — is the captain!

Small wonder those champs at Nike gave Colin Kaepernick the week off to anoint Rapinoe the commercial face of the victorious US team.

As it did four years ago, this team’s win inspired just-dropped-in media to chorus how American girls will now be inspired to play and excel at soccer.

But where, if not the playing fields of the US, did they think the last two championship teams came from, Estonia? Girls’ soccer has been a huge participation sport here the past 30 years.

I encouraged my daughters toward competitive, organized sports. They played tennis, field hockey, soccer and basketball.

But I’m no more willing to issue female athletes pandering, back-slapping, flag-waving blindness than I have to the deteriorating social condition of our men’s sports.

The 1973 Billie Jean King-Bobby Riggs tennis match was a made-for-TV novelty act never designed or intended to be taken seriously. It began with King carried into the Astrodome in a sedan shouldered by muscular, brightly feathered gladiators.

And it wasn’t taken seriously until years later, when wishful, revisionist media and moviemakers seized it as the day of dead-reckoning emancipation for young females of all endeavors.

Jim Spence, an ABC exec who helped put together the event, has spoken of hearing, reading and watching the King-Riggs match assigned greater historical importance — when it had none.

But whether it’s 1973 or 2019, we’re relied upon to believe what we’re told, not what we saw, not what we see.

This US team did nothing to advance “the gender,” did not succeed “against all odds” and, because many Americans found it impossible to embrace Team USA, did little to “lift the nation.”

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (07-12-2019), Goofy (07-12-2019), RBP (07-12-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    By Phil Mushnick - The New York Post

Perhaps I’m a party-pooper by nature and nurture. When I was a kid I heard the music from the ice cream truck then excitedly asked my father for a quarter.

“No,” he said, “they play that music when they’re out of ice cream.”

Unless you never heard that one, it’s an old one. Otherwise, it’s mine. But the risk of being condemned as a killjoy makes me defensive. “Our” team won, didn’t it? That’s what counts! USA! USA!

It’s a relentless insult: TV demands intelligent viewers ignore what they see to believe only what they’re told. Seconds after the US team won the Women’s World Cup on Sunday, Fox’s lead analyst Aly Wagner, former US World Cupper, gushed this:

“The way they’ve lifted a nation! The way they’ve lifted a gender! It’s something to behold! … They’ve done so much more and against all odds!” Was that for our ears or our pancakes?

Against all odds? The US was the overwhelming, odds-on favorite.

They lifted a gender? It was the Women’s World Cup! Even Mike Francesa could accurately tout the winners would be a women’s team.

They lifted a nation? How so? Was Wagner unaware that this team invited scorn, turning off so many who would have normally and naturally fully supported it? Could Wagner have been unaware that “we” were represented by those wearing Team USA uniforms while performing acts of choreographed immodesty and mockery of opponents?

Or was Wagner under the impression Americans can’t distinguish right from wrong, and thus provided blind, drooling, unconditional love?

In Sunday’s 2-0 final over the Netherlands, let’s examine “our” goals.

The second goal was scored in traffic by Rose Lavelle, who next awaited the arrival of teammates for a group celebration — a classy, welcome scene given what we’d seen.

The first goal was the work of Alex Morgan, who drew a penalty kick when nearly kicked in the head. But all-about-me Megan Rapinoe was the beneficiary. She was assigned and made the PK, which, at this level, was fully expected.

As her teammates rushed toward her to celebrate a goal that didn’t singularly belong to her, Rapinoe ran from them, to the far sideline to stand alone while striking an all-about-me diva pose.

The team’s captain, starting when Rapinoe ran half the field to demonstrate nauseating self-regard after her goal against Thailand made it, geez, 9-0, should have had a chat with Rapinoe, suggesting she play with a tad more class.

But Rapinoe, a foul-mouthed stage hog who gave the national anthem her kiss-off in protest of President Tweet — as if it were her duty to exploit US World Cup matches for that purpose — is the captain!

Small wonder those champs at Nike gave Colin Kaepernick the week off to anoint Rapinoe the commercial face of the victorious US team.

As it did four years ago, this team’s win inspired just-dropped-in media to chorus how American girls will now be inspired to play and excel at soccer.

But where, if not the playing fields of the US, did they think the last two championship teams came from, Estonia? Girls’ soccer has been a huge participation sport here the past 30 years.

I encouraged my daughters toward competitive, organized sports. They played tennis, field hockey, soccer and basketball.

But I’m no more willing to issue female athletes pandering, back-slapping, flag-waving blindness than I have to the deteriorating social condition of our men’s sports.

The 1973 Billie Jean King-Bobby Riggs tennis match was a made-for-TV novelty act never designed or intended to be taken seriously. It began with King carried into the Astrodome in a sedan shouldered by muscular, brightly feathered gladiators.

And it wasn’t taken seriously until years later, when wishful, revisionist media and moviemakers seized it as the day of dead-reckoning emancipation for young females of all endeavors.

Jim Spence, an ABC exec who helped put together the event, has spoken of hearing, reading and watching the King-Riggs match assigned greater historical importance — when it had none.

But whether it’s 1973 or 2019, we’re relied upon to believe what we’re told, not what we saw, not what we see.

This US team did nothing to advance “the gender,” did not succeed “against all odds” and, because many Americans found it impossible to embrace Team USA, did little to “lift the nation.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Only because that story is 100% spot on

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (07-12-2019), Goofy (07-12-2019), RBP (07-13-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Goofy (07-16-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Wow. She planned to be the hero in front of her class and got destroyed.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (07-15-2019)