Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football Thread (Association aka Soccer)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,889 Times in 11,964 Posts
    I know we don't have a dog in this fight, but here's the World Cup seedings for those that do:

Group A: Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay
    Group B: Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran
    Group C: France, Australia, Peru, Denmark
    Group D: Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria
    Group E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia
    Group F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea
    Group G: Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England
    Group H: Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan

So, which one's the group of death? Is it F?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,082 Times in 59,901 Posts

Lionel Messi Hints at Interest in Playing for David Beckham's MLS Miami Team

Christopher Simpson - Bleacher Report

Lionel Messi has hinted he would be interested in playing for David Beckham's Major League Soccer franchise in Miami.

The Barcelona star sent Beckham a message of congratulations after the franchise was confirmed on Monday, per Pase Filtrado:

According to Marca, the Argentinian said: "Hi David, first of all congratulations, I hope all goes well with the new project, in this new step you are taking and who knows, in a few years maybe you will give me a call."

Beckham told BBC Sport's Natalie Pirks that one of his main roles will be to help attract stars from European football:

The former England international won 19 major trophies in a career spanning two decades, which was comprised of spells with Manchester United, Real Madrid, Los Angeles Galaxy, AC Milan and Paris Saint-Germain.

BeIN Sports USA's Chris Wittyngham believes Messi's comments are a clear indication Beckham will be able to attract top talent to the Florida-based outfit:

Meanwhile, Bleacher Report's own Dean Jones anticipates Cristiano Ronaldo might join them one day:

Miami won't be able to play matches until 2020, while Messi's contract with Barcelona runs out a year later, expiring shortly after his 34th birthday.

Per TyC Sports (h/t Marca), the forward recently reiterated his hope of retiring at childhood club Newell's Old Boys, though he also expressed concerns over returning to Argentina.

As such, Miami could provide an alternative if Messi wants a different challenge to Barcelona in his twilight years, and depending on how long he stayed there he could still have time for a brief spell at Newell's after if he so desired.

A number of top stars have headed to MLS from Europe in recent years, including Kaka, Andrea Pirlo, Thierry Henry and Steven Gerrard, and there will likely be others willing to follow in their footsteps to Miami.

If Beckham were to be able to land Messi or Ronaldo, though, it would be a sensational coup that could have a positive impact on the launch of the franchise.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Goofy (01-30-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

WTF Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa refuses to leave pitch ahead of penalty shootout

By Samuel Chamberlain | Fox News

Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga stunned a capacity crowd at London's Wembley Stadium and left his manager fuming Sunday when he refused to be subbed off in the late stages of extra time in the English League Cup final against Manchester City.

With the two sides locked in a goalless draw, Kepa received treatment on his hamstring and Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri summoned backup Willy Caballero to take his place for the forthcoming penalty shootout. There was just one problem: Kepa, the world’s most expensive goalkeeper after joining Chelsea in August for 80 million euros (then $93 million) from Spanish club Athletic Bilbao, would not withdraw.

Kepa waved to the bench and signaled that he was fine to continue. As Caballero strapped on his gloves and loosened up, Kepa remonstrated with Sarri and his assistants -- including Chelsea legend Gianfranco Zola. After a moment, referee Jon Moss consulted Kepa and Sarri before signaling that the substitution would not take place.

As the fans jeered, a visibly enraged Sarri started down the tunnel as the final minutes of extra time ticked down before apparently recovering his composure and returning to the bench.

In the subsequent shootout, Kepa saved just one of Manchester City's five penalties, condemning Chelsea to a 4-3 defeat in the shootout that was overshadowed by the extraordinary disagreement between player and manager.

In his post-match news conference, Sarri described the issue as a "misunderstanding."

"I understood the goalkeeper had cramp and would be unable to go to the penalties," the Italian manager said. " ... I asked for a change for this physical problem and he said he hadn’t a physical problem. So he was right I think. I have to talk with [Kepa] but only to clarify because now I have understood very well the situation."

Chelsea's manager Maurizio Sarri, right, remonstrates with Kepa while substitute keeper Willy Caballero, obscured, waits to be subbed on

"I’ve never seen it (before),” Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany said when asked about the incident. “I wish I could do it every now and then when I don’t want to get subbed off.”

Former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, covering the match in Spain for the internet streaming service DAZN, said the situation made him “really sad.”

“I don’t like that he leaves his coach and the assistant coach in a situation of great fragility,” Mourinho said, “and his teammate, who was ready to enter the match, and who in the end saw himself in the middle of a problematic situation that had nothing to do with him."

Chelsea, one of the richest clubs in English soccer, is currently sixth in the Premier League, 16 points behind leaders Liverpool. Sunday's defeat came six days after they were knocked out of the FA Cup by rivals Manchester United, leaving the UEFA Europa League as the club's best chance of winning a trophy this season.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    I watched the game live, never seen anything like it in all my years of watching footy..... disrespectful little shit. Sadly the manager will likely be binned soon as Chelsea's results have been pretty mediocre this season. He'll probably be sacked if they lose to Spurs midweek.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    I watched the game live, never seen anything like it in all my years of watching footy..... disrespectful little shit. Sadly the manager will likely be binned soon as Chelsea's results have been pretty mediocre this season. He'll probably be sacked if they lose to Spurs midweek.
    What are Chelsea's options when it comes to Kepa? How are contracts done in the Premiere League? Is that contract he signed guaranteed? Or could Chelsea cut him or trade him and he loses out on the balance of the contract he hasn't been paid yet?

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    What are Chelsea's options when it comes to Kepa? How are contracts done in the Premiere League? Is that contract he signed guaranteed? Or could Chelsea cut him or trade him and he loses out on the balance of the contract he hasn't been paid yet?
    Players have all the power now in Euro footy, Chelsea paid over £60m for him and he's likely gonna be their #1 for years to come. If it comes down to it then Chelsea will back their new star keeper over the manager.

Same thing happened at Man Utd with Mourinho vs Pogba, the sulky brat £90m player won the battle and Mourinho (the manager) was sacked.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (02-25-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    USA v Thailand today in the Women's WC

Canada beat Cameroon 1-0 yesterday and England beat Scotland 2-1 on Sunday and Australia lost to Italy 2-1 on Sunday.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    USA v Thailand today in the Women's WC

Canada beat Cameroon 1-0 yesterday and England beat Scotland 2-1 on Sunday and Australia lost to Italy 2-1 on Sunday.
    I'm washing my hair tonight so wont be able to tune in

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    USA beats Thailand 13-0 in their opening match

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-12-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    All kinds of people are whining online about the score in the US/Thailand match

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Boo Hoo US women's World Cup team comes under criticism for celebrating goals in blowout

By Louis Casiano | Fox News

The U.S. women's 13-0 shellacking of Thailand to kick off their Women's World Cup title defense on Tuesday inspired confidence, but also came under criticism from some who felt the team showed poor sportsmanship by continuing to score and celebrate in front of an already-beaten opponent.

Tuesday's score was the biggest blowout in the tournament's history, with Alex Morgan scoring five goals in a dominating win for the Americans.

"0.0 problem with the score line as this is THE tournament BUT celebrating goals (like #9) leaves a sour taste in my mouth like many of you. Curious to see if anyone apologizes for this postgame. #USWNT #FIFAWWC," tweeted Taylor Twellman, an ESPN soccer analyst and former player for the New England Revolution and the U.S. men's national team.

Other sports commentators and former soccer stars also weighed in.

"I would tone down the celebration on the 9th goal, but that’s just me," tweeted Maximiliano Bretos, play-by-play announcer for the Los Angeles Football Club.

"the goal celebrations of #USWNT at 9-0, 10-0, 11-0 are so overboard. Why are they even trying to score anymore. I'm on #teamthailand at this point," posted Jeff Paterson, Vancouver Canucks beat reporter for TSN 1040 in Canada.

Others commentators said they found the women's play and celebrations embarrassing.

U.S. women's soccer coach Jill Ellis said her players didn't consider pulling back because it disrespect their opponent.

“A lot of this is about building momentum and so as a coach I don’t find it my job to rein my players in,” Ellis told The Wall Street Journal. “This is what they’ve dreamt about. I respect Thailand, I spoke to some of them afterward and they should keep their heads up. This is part of the growth of the game."

While the team came under criticism from some, it had more than its share of defenders.

"For all that have issue with many goals: for some players this is there first World Cup goal, and they should be excited. Imagine it being you out there.This is your dream of playing and then scoring in a World Cup. Celebrate. Would you tell a men’s team to not score or celebrate?," tweeted Abby Wambach, a former teammate of Morgan's who was on the 2015 U.S. women's World Cup championship squad.

Soccer player Eniola Aluko defended the women's performance, saying it's their job "to win, not to make football more comforting for you."

The U.S. plays Chile on Sunday and then plays Sweden next week.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Alex Morgan's well worth a pump This concludes my knowledge of womans football

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks