Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Albums of 2011 (From various reviewers)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    You could give Bon Iver or M83 a couple listens. It won't kill you.
    Just had a listen to a couple of tracks on youtube....... not my cup of tea. Everyone has different tastes and opinions, that's what makes music so good - there's something out there for everyone. I'm basically an old school rock'n'roll fan, the Stones, the Who, that kind of thing........ but i also love certain songs from other genres of music, if its good its good whether it be rock, pop, rap, classical.

For instance, i listen to this song on a regular basis - its totally sublime

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That is a lovely song Goofy. I like the version he does with Sarah Brightman. It's lush, a piece of modern music that feels more like something from the romantic era of classical music (my favorite!).

I'm always attracted to music that isn't ugly though.
    Behold my signature~!!

Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    Fuck you hippy
    Pippa~!!
    The horse does not eat cucumber salad.
    I think everyone in my world, the normal world, knows that Mark Levin and Hannity are relevant only to the angriest, most bitter Americans. (Alec Baldwin)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I like the version he does with the White Stripes...

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    thanks for the lists... might need to check more of these out

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Fair enough Joey, I get that. I'm just a crusader for independent music, always have been... it usually doesn't get its fair shake.

Justin Vernon is a Bocelli of his own genre... this song to me is just as beautiful in a different way

Last edited by Godfather; 12-29-2011 at 04:09 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    GF, have you really been to 27 Nickelback shows?

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    I like all kinds of music and I really hate it when people automatically put down someone because of what kinds of music they like without giving it a go. About the only music I don't like is opera, other than that I like a little bit of everything. That's why I don't understand all the hate for Nickelback. I like them and they are good at what they do. Are they my favorite band? Of course not, but I still like their music. I think it's just trendy for people to diss Nickelback for some reason.

That said, I listened to 3 different songs by Bon Iver and 3 songs by M83....not for me at all. But I did give them a fair chance, I always go into new music with the hope that I will like it.

But I will be trying some of the others on the list probably this weekend. I always like discovering new groups to listen to, so thanks for the lists GF

And as for the lists, I can't believe that RS Magazine has Adele at #1....most overrated album (and singer) of the year if you ask me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'm going to check a few out as well... With this XM radio in my truck my exposure to lots of different musics as really been broadened..

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'm just a crusader for independent music, always have been... it usually doesn't get its fair shake.
    I can agree with that, however, there is a lot of 'mainstream' music out there that people automatically put down and won't listen to because it's 'commercial music'. A lot of all this crap I blame on hipsters that are "too cool" to listen to anything popular.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyGut View Post
    GF, have you really been to 27 Nickelback shows?
    No, haven't been to one. I will say this though, as much as I dislike 'Chad' and their music, I heard a cool story about them that made me kinda ease off...

Their most recent album came out this year I believe, and when it did the band realized that the first 800,000 copies had Nickelback spelled incorrectly - it's supposed to be nickel not nickle (or vice versa). So the band said they wouldn't sue the record label if they gave Nickelback's charity which builds wells in Africa $100,000. So done deal. Well, with corruption being as bad as it is, one of the band members (not Chad), took the money in small bills, hopped on a plane to Africa and actually had the balls to wonder around with thousands and thousands of dollars. Not to mention that it's illegal to enter a country without declaring that kind of money. But he built a bunch of Wells for thirsty Africans and came home when the money ran out. Pretty cool story...

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    I can agree with that, however, there is a lot of 'mainstream' music out there that people automatically put down and won't listen to because it's 'commercial music'. A lot of all this crap I blame on hipsters that are "too cool" to listen to anything popular.
    For sure, I won't argue with that. I won't lie and say there isn't a ton of Top 40 stuff on my mp3 player

Mainstream is tough though because the radios wreck every decent song. It's the same 30 songs, 4 times a day It's enough to drive me mental.

Even the Classic Rock radio stations are guilty of that.... after 30-40 years, they still only play 10 Beatles or Zepplin or Stones songs. Why not rotate the B-side stuff, play everything.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I don't like Nickelback cuz they have same generic sound that all the "rock" bands have these days and all their songs sound the same. I will say I've seen them in many interviews and they seem like cool guys, it's just I think their music sucks.

I am fixed

"Somedays I wake up and feel like nobody loves me. Other days I wake up and feel like I love nobody. Sometimes I wake up and feel tired, and worn out. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I cannot face the day. But someday I'll wake up and realize that waking up is pretty stupid because it just makes you feel like crap."

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I like all kinds of music and I really hate it when people automatically put down someone because of what kinds of music they like without giving it a go.
    A lot of all this crap I blame on hipsters that are "too cool" to listen to anything popular.

Even the Classic Rock radio stations are guilty of that.... after 30-40 years, they still only play 10 Beatles or Zepplin or Stones songs. Why not rotate the B-side stuff, play everything.
    This is how I discover new music...by filtering past the 'same 10' as you call it and looking for rarities. The other thing I do is find similar acts or even just dig into genres as a whole. Most of the stuff I enjoy is incredibly antiquated, far older than what is considered 'oldies' by radio. Radio does nothing for me these days, it's all corporate and the same tunes spun by different named but oddly similar hosts. I remember this always being the case to a degree, but there was a time you could scan through the dial and find half a dozen songs you'd never heard before. Now, you just find the same half dozen songs.
    Behold my signature~!!

Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    Fuck you hippy
    Pippa~!!
    The horse does not eat cucumber salad.
    I think everyone in my world, the normal world, knows that Mark Levin and Hannity are relevant only to the angriest, most bitter Americans. (Alec Baldwin)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Okay, just gave tUnE-yArDs a shot...played 3 songs by them. They were awful

Then I tried Oneohtrix Point Never....all I can say is,

3 songs, no lyrics, just noise....and this is something that makes a top 10 CD's of the year list?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    For sure, I won't argue with that. I won't lie and say there isn't a ton of Top 40 stuff on my mp3 player

Mainstream is tough though because the radios wreck every decent song. It's the same 30 songs, 4 times a day It's enough to drive me mental.

No argument from me there...and I think you are giving the classic rock stations too much credit...it's more like the same 3 Beatles songs, the same 4 Zeppelin songs, the same 4 Stones songs. One of the classic rock stations here, 103.5 The Fox, will sometimes during the day play a "Deep Cut" from an artist....and then when it comes on it ends up being a mainstream song from the band