Thread: Teh Car Maintenance/ Upgrades/ Tech Help, Question Thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

Help Teh Car Maintenance/ Upgrades/ Tech Help, Question Thread

right i intend this thread to be the place were fellow gearheads can go to ask stuff about things they need help with when it comes to motors and everything associated with them. . . . . .

i am however being a little cheeky here as i have a limited knowledge of cars so am relying on you guys for the answers!

so here goes . . .

i've been wanting to do a brake conversion on the rear of my Focus for a while now, swapping from the ghey/underperforming drums i currently have, swapping them for a set of disk brakes off another Focus, either ST170 or a TDCI, but im coming up short on wheather or not i can use ones that have come from a car fitted with ABS as mine hasnt got it, and trying to find a set of non ABS callipers is proving to be harder than finding rocking horse shit! well for a decent price anyway.

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    Is there any other Ford you could pirate them off of? Maybe a slightly bigger Ford than the Focus has the same braking system. (Is it called a Mondeo over there?)

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,888 Posts
    Tank, on your question, everything I have ever read tells me the putting abs style hubs on a car that DOES NOT have ABS, is just fine (as long as everything else lines up correctly) I'm not super familiar with your particular model of vehicle, but I have my self put an entire ABS rear end, including the newer disk brakes in an older non-ABS car with no problems whatsoever. I will add that if you are going from drums to disk, you will need a new ,preferably adjustable, proportional valve to direct the proper higher pressure to the new rear disks. You may be able to get by with the factory prop valve off the car you get the disks from.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,888 Posts
    This may help you with more info:

http://www.trackcarz.com/t22-rear-dr...n-focus-mk1-15

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt View Post
    Is there any other Ford you could pirate them off of? Maybe a slightly bigger Ford than the Focus has the same braking system. (Is it called a Mondeo over there?)
    yep it is a Mondeo, i've thought about it but have been seeing a lot of complete rear subframes on ebay/breaker sites so was thinking its easier to just swap the whole rear beam over than just the callipers and parts.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    Tank, on your question, everything I have ever read tells me the putting abs style hubs on a car that DOES NOT have ABS, is just fine (as long as everything else lines up correctly) I'm not super familiar with your particular model of vehicle, but I have my self put an entire ABS rear end, including the newer disk brakes in an older non-ABS car with no problems whatsoever. I will add that if you are going from drums to disk, you will need a new ,preferably adjustable, proportional valve to direct the proper higher pressure to the new rear disks. You may be able to get by with the factory prop valve off the car you get the disks from.
    ive been looking on different websites and been getting mixed answers on the subject, i know loads of people have done the swap with either a profesional set up, which is megga bucks, or have swaped to bigger brake setups from their original disks. i've not yet come across a post by someone who has actually done it to say definitively yes it can be done.

cheers for the comments tho Kevin i'll keep them in mind, i dont intend to carry out the work myself but have a local garage i use do it, but they are not much more help on the subject, i can understand their scetchy answers as at the end of the day if they say yes and do it and it turns out it was a bad idea then they are liable for whatever goes wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    i'l take a look at that later

Newly Seeking Shelter don't care's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    right i intend this thread to be the place were fellow gearheads can go to ask stuff about things they need help with when it comes to motors and everything associated with them. . . . . .

i am however being a little cheeky here as i have a limited knowledge of cars so am relying on you guys for the answers!

so here goes . . .

i've been wanting to do a brake conversion on the rear of my Focus for a while now, swapping from the ghey/underperforming drums i currently have, swapping them for a set of disk brakes off another Focus, either ST170 or a TDCI, but im coming up short on wheather or not i can use ones that have come from a car fitted with ABS as mine hasnt got it, and trying to find a set of non ABS callipers is proving to be harder than finding rocking horse shit! well for a decent price anyway.
    I presuming you have a 99my focus.

it dosn't matter if the hubs you are fitting have abs, they fit to the suspension the same way (you will have to get the whole hub assy not just the wheel bearing carrier)

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    yes

list of bits:

discs
    pads
    callipers
    hub assemblies
    disc backplate
    brake flexi pipes
    handbrake cables
    and obviously all related bolts, washers and fluid

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by don't care View Post
    I presuming you have a 99my focus.

it dosn't matter if the hubs you are fitting have abs, they fit to the suspension the same way (you will have to get the whole hub assy not just the wheel bearing carrier)
    yep, mines a 2000 reg, from looking at other models only 2litre and teh Diesel models came fitted with rear disk, untill ford intoduced the ST in 2002 with the facelift models.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Janus View Post
    yes

list of bits:

discs
    pads
    callipers
    hub assemblies
    disc backplate
    brake flexi pipes
    handbrake cables
    and obviously all related bolts, washers and fluid

thats the shopping list!!

like i said i'm trying to get a whole rear end assembly for it, cos as i see it all that needs doing then is changing over some cables/lines!?

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    Tank just go find one at a junkyard that had the front end stuffed bad, take the whole farkin rear axle