Thread: Cool Story Bro

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,110 Times in 59,910 Posts

Bored Cool Story Bro

Have a story to tell that's funny, embarrassing, helpful, stupid, or whatever? Feel free to share here

I'll start with an embarrassing one...when I first moved to Colorado in 1995, the apartment I moved into had a dishwasher. It was the first one I had ever had as when I was growing up, my parents never had one, and when I was on my own living in Vermont, none of the places I lived had one. Dishes were all done by hand.

Well, even though I had that fancy new time saver, I still was doing dishes by hand the first few weeks. Finally I got sick of it and decided I was gonna try out the new dishwasher. Of course the only dish soap I had in my apartment was the liquid kind you use for doing dishes by hand in the sink. In my ultimate wisdom, knowing that dish soap foams up pretty good, I would only put a small amount in the dishwasher.

So I put the dirty dishes in, put the soap in, started it and went and did something else. By the time I went back into the kitchen, there was so much soap bubbles everywhere that I was just dumbfounded. Boy, did I feel like an idiot after spending the next couple of hours cleaning the soap off the floor and outta the dishwasher.

/CSB

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Was that really you Lance? I ask because my youngest daughter did the exact same thing with our dishwasher a bit ago, except she filled the liquid dispenser full of dish soap.
    There's a thread called "Dumbest thing you ever did" on an auto site I'm on. Pretty good stuff in it. I could post some of mine if we're gonna tell true stories in here.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,110 Times in 59,910 Posts
    Yup, twas really something I did

I felt like an idiot for a long time

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    I have been trying to help out around the house for my wife since the passing of here brother. I have been doing laundry my entire life mind you. But, not much women's laundry. So I noticed a bunch of jackets and sweaters and hoodies and what not, so I pilled them all into the washer. At this point everything was going to plan. Threw it all in the dryer, it buzzed my wife went to pull the stuff out. That's when she found her $100 wool sweater, long enough to cover your ass, was shrank to the point that it is now my 8 yo daughters "new" sweater.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Okay then, fair enough.

Here's one that's kitchen related and true.

In our old home, my wife was making cornbread in the oven with her mom's cast iron skillet. She went to the restroom and called out for me to take the cornbread out of the oven.
    No problem.
    Put my beer down, walked into the kitchen, opened the oven, removed the cornbread, and made it about halfway across the kitchen before I realized I didn't have an oven mitt on.
    Dropped the skillet, it broke, and my wife is still pissed about it (10 years later) lol

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    I have been trying to help out around the house for my wife since the passing of here brother. I have been doing laundry my entire life mind you. But, not much women's laundry. So I noticed a bunch of jackets and sweaters and hoodies and what not, so I pilled them all into the washer. At this point everything was going to plan. Threw it all in the dryer, it buzzed my wife went to pull the stuff out. That's when she found her $100 wool sweater, long enough to cover your ass, was shrank to the point that it is now my 8 yo daughters "new" sweater.
    Oh yeah, done that too. Fortunately, the wife doesn't let me do anyone else's clothes except for mine now. lol

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    Okay then, fair enough.

Here's one that's kitchen related and true.

In our old home, my wife was making cornbread in the oven with her mom's cast iron skillet. She went to the restroom and called out for me to take the cornbread out of the oven.
    No problem.
    Put my beer down, walked into the kitchen, opened the oven, removed the cornbread, and made it about halfway across the kitchen before I realized I didn't have an oven mitt on.
    Dropped the skillet, it broke, and my wife is still pissed about it (10 years later) lol

You broke a cast iron skillet

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Another time I was a total dumbass, was one of many automotive related incidents.

I had just changed my engine out in my old truck ( went from a 250ci straight 6 to a 350 v-8) Didn't have anyway to do exhaust at home, so I clamped on a pair of cherry bomb header mufflers. Was cruising down the highway on the way to the muffler shop (about 30 miles away) when I heard a horrible noise, and then I heard open exhaust.
    Seems I didn't have one of the mufflers clamped on very tight and it fell off.

So, I backed up, got out, walked over and picked it up to put it in the bed of the truck. Yep, that worked well.

It's a wonder I actually have fingerprints on my right hand as many times as I've burned the hell out of it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    You broke a cast iron skillet
    Yeah, but I bought her a nice new et (including dutch oven) and promised to never ever touch them again. lol

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    Yeah, but I bought her a nice new et (including dutch oven) and promised to never ever touch them again. lol
    Its great how things work out isnt it

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeppers, kinda like the laundry. I'm banned from the laundry room except for my work clothes. lol

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    When my wife walked out with the sweater, I just looked at her and said "it was bound to happen at some point"

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    My daughter loves this story, and I swear it's true:

When I was about 11 or so, my grandfather ran a city to city mail route. Those of you that are old enough may remember fuit being shipped in wood slat crates held together with wire.
    My grandfather would bring the empty crates home often. One fine summer day, my cousin and I decided to make a home made airplane out of them.
    After we got done ( two seater model ftw) we haul it up on top of my grandparents roof, climbed in, shoved it off and fleeeeeewwwwwwwww!
    (At this point, my daughter would ask, "How far did you fly daddy?")
    I'd tell her, "About 12 feet, straight down"

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    the morning of one of my banger races all i needed to do was drill a 20mm hole through the bulk head for the fuel line ,easy job apart from i didn't double check the engine bay so when my nice sharp cone cutter went through it also went straight through the brake line still as i was going to smash the car anyway carried on and raced with no brakes and managed my best ever race ,did 7 out of the 20 laps 6 in the lead before finding some oil on a bend and hitting the solid steel barrier at about 50-60mph and knocking myself out for 5 minutes

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Gravity and I have fought for as long as I can remember.

Here's another:

Remember the toy Army ranger Parachute figures? Around the same time as the plane incident, my cousin and I decided to see if that would really work.
    We raided the plastic trashbags, climbed up on the roof, yelled something or other and jumped out.
    Needless to say it didn't work.
    We thought about it for a bit, realized that the problem was we weren't high enough, so....

We climber to the peak of the hay barn. Nope still didn't work.

It's amazing how far you can fall without getting hurt when you are a kid.