Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will March 19 'Supermoon' Trigger Natural Disasters?

Amish Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

Mystery Will March 19 'Supermoon' Trigger Natural Disasters?

On March 19, the moon will swing around Earth more closely than it has in the past 18 years, lighting up the night sky from just 221,567 miles (356,577 kilometers) away. On top of that, it will be full. And one astrologer believes it could inflict massive damage on the planet.

Richard Nolle, a noted astrologer who runs the website astropro.com, has famously termed the upcoming full moon at lunar perigee (the closest approach during its orbit) an "extreme supermoon."

When the moon goes super-extreme, Nolle says, chaos will ensue: Huge storms, earthquakes, volcanoes and other natural disasters can be expected to wreak havoc on Earth. (It should be noted that astrology is not a real science, but merely makes connections between astronomical and mystical events.)

But do we really need to start stocking survival shelters in preparation for the supermoon?

The question is not actually so crazy. In fact scientists have studied related scenarios for decades. Even under normal conditions, the moon is close enough to Earth to make its weighty presence felt: It causes the ebb and flow of the ocean tides.

The moon's gravity can even cause small but measureable ebbs and flows in the continents, called "land tides" or "solid Earth tides," too. The tides are greatest during full and new moons, when the sun and moon are aligned either on the same or opposite sides of the Earth.

According to John Vidale, a seismologist at the University of Washington in Seattle and director of the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network, particularly dramatic land and ocean tides do trigger earthquakes. "Both the moon and sun do stress the Earth a tiny bit, and when we look hard we can see a very small increase in tectonic activity when they're aligned," Vidale told Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site to SPACE.com.

At times of full and new moons, "you see a less-than-1-percent increase in earthquake activity, and a slightly higher response in volcanoes."

The effect of tides on seismic activity is greatest in subduction zones such as the Pacific Northwest, where one tectonic plate is sliding under another. William Wilcock, another seismologist at the University of Washington, explained: "When you have a low tide, there's less water, so the pressure on the seafloor is smaller. That pressure is clamping the fault together, so when it's not there, it makes it easier for the fault to slip."

According to Wilcock, earthquake activity in subduction zones at low tides is 10 percent higher than at other times of the day, but he hasn't observed any correlations between earthquake activity and especially low tides at new and full moons. Vidale has observed only a very small correlation.

What about during a lunar perigee? Can we expect more earthquakes and volcanic eruptions on March 19, when the full moon will be so close?

The moon's gravitational pull at lunarperigee, the scientists say, is not different enough from its pull at other times to significantly change the height of the tides and thus the likelihood of natural disasters.

"A lot of studies have been done on this kind of thing by USGS scientists and others," John Bellini, a geophysicist at the U.S. Geological Survey, told Life's Little Mysteries. "They haven't found anything significant at all."

Vidale concurred. "Practically speaking, you'll never see any effect of lunar perigee," he said. "It's somewhere between 'It has no effect' and 'It's so small you don't see any effect.'"

The bottom line is, the upcoming supermoon won't cause a preponderance of earthquakes, although the idea isn't a crazy one.

"Earthquakes don't respond as much to the tides as you'd think they would. There should actually be more of an effect," said Vidale.

Most natural disasters have nothing to do with the moon at all. The Earth has a lot of pent up energy, and it releases it anytime the buildup gets too great. The supermoon probably won't push it past the tipping point, but we'll know for sure, one way or the other, by March 20.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    I think I'll go ahead and make another beer run just in case.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    I was worried for a second until I read that it's astrology

Utter dribble

Amish Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post

Utter dribble
    Agreed.

I had a physics professor in college pay some charlatan $100 dollars a WEEK to do an astrological reading for him.

A physics professor?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I guess everyone has a guilty pleasure?

I just don't know how people take it seriously if they do an ounce of reading about it all

Hell, on a basic level isn't it proof enough that on any given day, a Capricorn could go on the internet and find hundreds of totally different and directly contradicting readings?!!?!

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post

Utter dribble
    Zoltan is displeased with your insolence

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    and jeepers..I had someone tell me at another forum that the moon's gravity/proximity doesn't affect tides on Earth....

point blank fact....the distance of the moon to the Earth does affect conditions here

Amish Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    on March 15th, conspiracy zealots claim the north and south poles will shift polarity, and cause a huge EMP which will cook all electronics globally.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    on March 15th, conspiracy zealots claim the north and south poles will shift polarity, and cause a huge EMP which will cook all electronics globally.
    cause?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    cause?

The moon is in Taurus, you are cleared to go shopping today. Try hard to avoid confrontation with coworkers.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    For Pisces:

Quickie

Communication is hard today. Assumptions are being made and people aren't listening.

Overview

Try not to let today's warm, wonderful energy go to waste. If you like cooking, go for it with gusto -- and if you don't now is a good time to learn! Anything quiet and creative is perfect for now.

Amish Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    cause?

The earth has actually done this many times...about every 500,000 years or so, and it's been over 700,000 since the last recorded shift within the strata. Thing is, the cylcle takes a long time to complete, and even if it did happen, it shouldn't affect organic life...unless you're a Borg, then you're screwed

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    my horoscope in the paper said I would be the center of attention, my health would improve and since about 15 planets are in my house....I will be able to fly and rule the world

(I'll settle for a shitty blowjob)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    The earth has actually done this many times...about every 500,000 years or so, and it's been over 700,000 since the last recorded shift within the strata. Thing is, the cylcle takes a long time to complete, and even if it did happen, it shouldn't affect organic life...unless you're a Borg, then you're screwed
    shitfuck

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    (I'll settle for a shitty blowjob)
    Ass to mouth again? Hal!
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.