#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Notice Google Chrome for Android: What You Need to Know

By Jared Newman, PCWorld

With the arrival of Chrome Beta for Android, the convergence of Google's desktop and mobile browsers has begun.

Chrome Beta for Android includes desktop features such as tabbed browsing, Incognito mode and bookmark syncing. It can also list any tab that's currently open on the user's desktop version of Chrome, and open it on the phone.

Now for the bad news: Chrome for Android is only available on devices running Android 4.0, known as Ice Cream Sandwich. Right now, that includes Samsung's Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S, Motorola's Xoom and Asus' Transformer Prime. Users can get the browser free from the Android Market.

Here's everything else you need to know about Chrome for Android:

How Does Tabbed Browsing Work?

On Android phones, individual tabs don't appear on screen together, like they do in some third party browsers such as Dolphin. Instead, you quickly move between tabs by swiping from the phone's left or right bezel, or show all tabs by tapping a button next to the search and URL bar. On tablets, tabs are arranged side-by-side, in similar fashion to the existing stock Android browser.

How Does Desktop Sync Work?

Chrome for Android places desktop bookmarks in their own folder on the mobile browser's new tab page, so they don't get mixed up with other bookmarks. Another section of the new tab page shows any open tab for any computer that's signed in to the user's Google account. The mobile browser also syncs auto-complete suggestions from the desktop, drawing on your search and browsing history.

What Other Features Are There?

As TechCrunch reports, Chrome for Android uses hardware acceleration to make browsing feel smoother and snappier, and it can pre-load pages based on what links it thinks you'll click, just like desktop Chrome (but only over Wi-Fi, to prevent excess mobile data use). It also includes some advanced HTML5 features such as Web Workers, which allow Web apps to update in real-time. Unfortunately, the browser doesn't yet have a way to always request the desktop version of Websites instead of mobile-optimized sites.

The browser also has one other feature not found in the desktop version of Chrome: When tapping on an area filled with links, a magnified view appears to ensure you're clicking on the right thing.

What About Plug-Ins and Extensions?

The current version of Chrome for Android doesn't support plug-ins, but All Things Digital reports that the browser's architecture supports them. There are no plans to support Flash on the mobile browser, however. As for extensions, MG Siegler reports that Google is figuring out how to make them work best on mobile devices.

Why Only Android 4.0?

According to MG Siegler, Chrome for Android uses APIs not found in earlier versions of Android, so there's not much hope for Gingerbread or Froyo users. As TechCrunch points out, Firefox for Android offers similar syncing features between the desktop and mobile devices, if that's any consolation.

What Will Become of the Stock Android Browser?

Eventually, it'll go away, but Google hasn't announced timing. Still, with Android's ability to set alternate browsers as the default, Android Ice Cream Sandwich users can make a complete switch to Chrome today.

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    nice due an up grade in june still not sure if i want a samsung or htc yet

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Dunno if I wanna switch when T-Mobile pushes the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade to my phone. I'm pretty happy with my Dolphin browser. I do know that they desperately need to do something though, because the default Android browser pretty much sucks.

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    do they push the update or do you have the option to update ,over here it's an option if you have the phone already

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I think either, but ICS isn't available for my phone yet over here. I click on the Software Update icon and all it says is No Firmware.

T-Mobile does push the software updates when they are available, but they are usually pretty slow about it.

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    BTW if you have an antiquated Android phone/tablet, give Opera a try. For the minimal browsing I do on the phone, it's fine.

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy