Thread: First handgun advice?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts

Geeky First handgun advice?

Placing this here cuz it's geeky

So a few of you might know I got into shooting. I have an SKS and a Ruger 10/22. Two cheap rifles to start out. Few buddies and I are loving this hobby since we took it up.

I'm now wanting to buy my first handgun. I'd love advice, as I know there are owners/experts here!!!

Background: I'm 5'10ish with average size hands so nothing huge or tiny. I'm a lefty which is shitty. Looking for 9mm or even .22LR because of size and ammo prices. Semi-Auto, DA.

I welcome any input, additions or subtractions from my list!

Sig P226 - this is what I'm leaning towards. Expensive but beautiful. The .22LR conversion would be nice. It feels good in my hands. There are a ton of variants to chose from as well.

H&K USP 9mm - Also a nice piece to hold, and it's as small as it can be in Canada without having an extender. Expensive as well, but it's 'tacticool'.

Beretta 92FS - It's not my favorite aesthetically but it's well reviewed and if it's good enough for the US Army...

Glock 17 (Gen 4? ) - Kinda ugly, but again the price is good, and with mass production there are a ton of videos to help me out when I break it

CZ 75b - I don't know much about this one, never even held it but the price is excellent and I've even seen some stellar reviews.

ISSC M22 - This is some random Austrian company that also makes a .22LR SCAR clone I'd like to purchase (thoughts?). Reviews are mixed but the price is stellar

There are some smaller ones I like too, but up here barrels under 4.1" (105mm) must have extenders which look lame. (The P99, PX4, Mosquito would all be considered if it wasn't for that). Also, you can't have Concealed Carry Permit, or use one for defense up here, so stopping power and concealment aren't my top worries.

Thanks all!

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 869 Posts
    Ruger 22/45.

It's a 10 shot .22lr semi auto that is quiet possibly one of thee best handguns to learn on, and shoot with. The ergo's of it are just awesome.

Downside? I'm not sure if they come lefty.

You can get them for around 250$, which in canadian money...I don't fkin know

If not that, the next one I would choose is the first on your list. Sig 226.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I already have your name on my butthole...too bad the tattoo artist couldn't spell
    Looser
    murder my ass..shove it up my ass....both are beautiful terms of endearment

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,888 Posts
    Best advice I could give, is go to a gun range. They usually (at least here they do) have guns you can rent, and see what you like the most, then worry about price. One of my favorite handguns is my Hi-point 40cal. Its ugly as sin, cheaper than dirt, fits my hand like a glove, but rugged as a real AK.

Here's where I do some looking around:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...spx?catid=1717

This is the listing for 22lr. I'm not sure if they sell to Canada though.
    Last edited by KevinD; 02-15-2012 at 05:23 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    This is what my wife is shooting in the pic of her with the 22lr handgun:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2SW107412FC-1.html

Not sure what you are looking for as for being left handed. You want a left side ejection port, or just ambidextrous mag release/safeties?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    God it's just so damn ugly I'll go and feel one up a little bit! Good to know it's a good one to learn on though. I will consider it for sure.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    God it's just so damn ugly I'll go and feel one up a little bit! Good to know it's a good one to learn on though. I will consider it for sure.
    The Hi-point or the S&W?
    If the Hi-point, then yes, it is ugly. They do make a 9mm, BUT the barrel is only 3.5" so, no good for you. If you are looking for a range gun, then I would definitely stick with 22lr or 9mm. Ammo cost are cheap with those rounds.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    The Hi-point or the S&W?
    If the Hi-point, then yes, it is ugly. They do make a 9mm, BUT the barrel is only 3.5" so, no good for you. If you are looking for a range gun, then I would definitely stick with 22lr or 9mm. Ammo cost are cheap with those rounds.
    Sorry, didn't see your posts! I was talking about Loser's suggestion. The Ruger 10/25 and the S&W 22A are both ugly as balls to me The Hi-Point too, and .40 Cal is a bit expensive for my blood like you said.

I like that website though! I'm going to shop around on there. I'll probably go to the indoor range where you can rent some handguns and see what I like a bit more.

I'm really just looking for Ambi safety and mag release. I'm used to casings flying past my face now

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I thought handguns were illegal in Canada?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyGut View Post
    I thought handguns were illegal in Canada?
    Nope! Just have to have a license (which I have) and lock and transport them following some fairly strict guidelines

Basically they have to be double locked (ie in case/cabinet/safe with trigger lock), ammo separate, and you need a transport license to move/use them to a Range... all in additional to the Restricted Firearms license which requires a detailed background check and a few day course.

The restrictions on Long Guns (Non-Restricted) are a LOT less strict.
    Last edited by Godfather; 02-15-2012 at 08:08 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    That's cool.. I was just reading about this a little.. You can't have anything with a barrel under 4 inches right?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyGut View Post
    That's cool.. I was just reading about this a little.. You can't have anything with a barrel under 4 inches right?
    That's right... and any barrel under 18" or gun that can fold under 26" falls into the same "Restricted" category of Handguns (ie. far more strict rules, no using on Crown land or for hunting).

Also, magazines for all guns are capped at 10, unless it's Rimfire in which case there are no restrictions on mag. Non-Restricted means you can shoot in the bushes, hunt, only use a trigger lock. A lot more fun. The FN SCAR .22LR knockoff from ISSC is magically Non-Restricted and looks amazing so I think I need that

One thing that's frustrating is that in some cases, guns that fit the strict definitions just get changed to a higher class (Restricted or Prohibited). The police make the final call.

There are some other funky rules too... Canuckistan

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 800 Posts
    My wife's favorite gun to shoot is our Beretta 9mm. It's insanely accurate and the ammo is pretty cheap. I prefer my Glock .45 but the ammo is more expensive.

The Beretta is too big for conceal & carry so she keeps a .38 snub nose in her purse.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Sorry, didn't see your posts! I was talking about Loser's suggestion. The Ruger 10/25 and the S&W 22A are both ugly as balls to me The Hi-Point too, and .40 Cal is a bit expensive for my blood like you said.

I like that website though! I'm going to shop around on there. I'll probably go to the indoor range where you can rent some handguns and see what I like a bit more.

I'm really just looking for Ambi safety and mag release. I'm used to casings flying past my face now
    Well, if you're looking for ambi safty and mag releases, your best bet is the Walther p22.

-edit-

Nevermind, barrel under 4inches.

You could get a 1911 .22

They can come with ambi safeties but are one side mag release.

Kimber makes a good one.

Code:
    Only registered members can view code.
    Downside, 850$.

If you don't like the ruger 22/45 series, they also have the MARK series.
    Code:
    Only registered members can view code.
    And the amount of aftermarket parts for the ruger mark series is incredible.
    Last edited by Loser; 02-15-2012 at 04:02 PM.

I already have your name on my butthole...too bad the tattoo artist couldn't spell
    Looser
    murder my ass..shove it up my ass....both are beautiful terms of endearment

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,281 Posts
    My suggestion is... Do not get one!

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Maker sure you just shoot animals and black people
    excluding a mirror....you can never see your own eye...

whoa