Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A new, high-definition iPad from Apple

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts

w00t A new, high-definition iPad from Apple

(CNN) -- Apple rolled out a high-definition iPad on Wednesday with a display screen that promises to be dramatically sharper than the current model, the iPad 2.

"It is amazing," Apple CEO Tim Cook said at a San Francisco unveiling. "We've taken it to a whole new level, and we are redefining the category that Apple created with the original iPad."

The new 9.7-inch display screen will feature a "retina display" of 2047 by 1536 pixels, compared with the current model's 1024 by 768 pixels.

To break it down, that's a total of 3.1 million pixels on the display screen.

"Your retina in your eye cannot discern those individual pixels," said Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller. "The images on it look stunning."

The new iPad will be available March 16 and cost the same as the iPad 2 -- from $499 to $829 based on storage capacity and Wi-Fi capacity. Pre-orders were opened at Apple's online store on Wednesday.

The new version will be available in the United States on AT&T and Verizon and will be the first iPad to connect to 4G networks (a fact that, at least for now, remains academic in most cities).

"This new iPad has the most wireless bands of any device that has ever shipped, and it is truly revolutionary," Schiller said.

And the new iPad will be the first to run on 4G wireless networks, a source familiar with the device's specifications told CNNMoney on Wednesday.

It will have a a 5-megapixel camera, representing a significant leap from the current iPad's so-so lens.

On Wednesday, Cook also announced an updated version of Apple TV, the company's Web-TV integration device that competes with products like Google TV, Roku and Boxee.

The system supports 1080p, or "Full HD" high-definition video, up from the current model's 720p. It will be available for $99 starting next week and could pave the way for what's expected to be Apple's next project: a fully integrated high-definition television.

When the iPad was introduced in early 2010, tablets already existed, but none had become popular with mainstream consumers. Some analysts wondered if there would be a market for a device that falls somewhere between a smartphone and a laptop but doesn't fully replace either.

The answer was a resounding "yes." The company has sold more than 55 million iPads worldwide to date.

Before his death in October, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs predicted that 2011 would be the "year of the copycat" in the tablet space. In large part, it was, and that was bad news for Apple's rivals, as competitors from HP to Samsung to Motorola tried unsuccessfully to offer a viable alternative to the iPad.

The new iPad will arrive in a somewhat trickier landscape.

By going smaller and simpler, Amazon made a splash with its Kindle Fire over the holidays, while rival bookseller Barnes & Noble countered with its popular Nook Tablet. Both devices start at $199. The new Acer Iconia A500 offers more memory than the iPad 2, while other companies have begun flooding the market with devices that are smaller and cheaper than Apple's standard-bearer.

Just last week, Microsoft rolled out its Windows 8 operating system for tablets, suggesting that Windows-based tablets could be making a serious run.

The upstarts had many analysts wondering whether Apple could either roll out its own smaller, simpler iPad or, perhaps more likely, offer a steep discount on one of the older models, putting it head to head against the Nook and Kindle Fire.

Apple surprised many observers last year when the iPad 2 was priced the same as the original iPad: ranging from $499 to $829, depending on 3G capability and storage capacity.

Cook also announced Wednesday that the 25 billionth app has been downloaded from the App Store. Perhaps significantly, that app was downloaded in China.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyGut View Post
    that looks sweet, nice to see them get back to their roots

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    looks ok ,still don't have a need for a tablet of any OS myself

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I have one - and I'm using it more than I though I would.

Thanks to Goofy for my sig

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I never use my desktop at home anymore..

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    hope the %$$#@@!! camera is good

Not scared of dead people Starchild's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I don't understand all this tablet stuff...... I don't need the internet on the move - I'm more of a dektop kind of guy myself.......

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redred View Post
    looks ok ,still don't have a need for a tablet of any OS myself

I have a desktop, a laptop, and a huge smart phone, I see no need to spend $600 on a glorified smart phone with no phone part. My laptop costs 33% less and does more than any tablet could ever hope to do.

Not scared of dead people Starchild's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tehlancinator View Post

I have a desktop, a laptop, and a huge smart phone, I see no need to spend $600 on a glorified smart phone with no phone part. My laptop costs 33% less and does more than any tablet could ever hope to do.
    Exactly!!!! My laptop does all it needs to do and my phone is pretty smart because I've had it for 5 years now and the battery still works!!!

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    We have sales people in the field that use tablets. They are way lighter then a laptop with better battery life and you can use all your web apps a lot easier then you could with a phone, especially when data input is involved.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    We have sales people in the field that use tablets. They are way lighter then a laptop with better battery life and you can use all your web apps a lot easier then you could with a phone, especially when data input is involved.
    Maybe I can see using one as a work tool in certain fields, but to have one at home? Waste of money IMO.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I don't understand all this tablet stuff...... I don't need the internet on the move - I'm more of a dektop kind of guy myself.......
    We don't know each other but I love you...

I can see if people need them for work etc...for my life, it's just another way to access stuff I can access on my pc at home

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    hope the %$$#@@!! camera is good
    Oh it is... Oh it ISSSSS!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 869 Posts
    Nah, they'll put a crap camera in it, then 6 months later release the iShat 3S.

I already have your name on my butthole...too bad the tattoo artist couldn't spell
    Looser
    murder my ass..shove it up my ass....both are beautiful terms of endearment

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    What? It's a 5 mp... Did you read the article?