Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My daughter's truck.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts
    I wouldn't call myself mechanically inclined, per se, I have taken a lot of stuff apart over the years, and even been somewhat successful in putting it back together, lol.
    I was one of those kids who no matter what toy I had, I took it apart to see how it worked. lol
    Noilly is right: whatever vehicle you have, there is a forum for it, somewhere, with folks who will be glad to help you out. One of the first ones I was on was http://www.automotiveforums.com/

If you can't find your car anywhere else, it's probably there. I haven't been active on it in a long time, but even then it was a bit slow.
    In lieu of forums, the best thing I can say for those who are starting out is get the repair manual for your vehicle. You can buy basic ones from auto parts stores, though I find them to be a bit basic. If I'm at the point I need a manual, generally, I need the real shop manual, as in from the manufacturer, the ones the dealer service dept uses. If you are a cheap bastard like I am, you can generally find them online with a bit of digging...just sayin...

One thing I find interesting about this truck, is, after I changed the sway bar end links, and the shocks, it seems to sit higher. I unfortunately didn't measure ride height beforehand, so not sure, but, it sits level front to rear now. Typically, trucks have a bit of rake front to rear. I wonder if the previous owner installed aftermarket springs or spindles in the truck. I know the upper and lower ball joints have been replaced (Moog FTW) I've also noticed that after the work, turning the steering wheel when parked takes a bit more effort for some reason. Dunno why yet. Not bad, but a bit more. Most probably wouldn't notice it.
    That all said, I'm extremely pleased with the ride and handling of the truck now. If the shocks hold up well, I'll probably put the same brand (Monroe sensa-trac) on my truck when it's due for new ones.

Today, we changed the oil, filter and plugs. Daughter didn't even mind when the oil ran down her arm. lol I tried to tell her to keep her hand above the plug, and now she knows why, lol

Took it for a drive afterwards, and it seems that the part throttle miss is gone, so all is well. Still have to figure out another throttle problem. Sometimes when you push in the clutch to shift gears, the engine races up what sounds like 1,000-1,500 rpms. (No tach on truck, so going by sound) Seems to be somewhat common problem with these trucks, but haven't seen any firm resolutions on the forums. If I disconnect the batt to reset the ECM, the problem goes away for 200 miles or so. Gonna have to think about that one some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts
    Dunno why, but tonight, every time I click to post, I get the "this forum requires you to wait 20secs between posts" and I'm getting double posts too.
    Last edited by KevinD; 03-29-2012 at 12:25 AM.