weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    MPs allowed to use iPad in Commons
    (UKPA) – 1 day ago
    Commons Speaker John Bercow has ruled that iPads can be used by MPs following the first use of the gadget in the chamber earlier this week.
    Mr Bercow said he could not "reasonably prevent" the use of the gadgets on an interim basis until MPs had a chance to decide on recommendations permitting their permanent use.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...1301497036218A

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    No security threat there?

I guess MP's don't really have all that much sensitive information though...

If I was going to get a tablet for business use it'd be the RIM Playbook hands down... Blackberry's security is unparalleled I think.

fricnjay
    My wife is the Lead Councilor at a High School and the school has bought some of the iPads for some of the administrators to see if there was a use for them. Next year they will probably do away with them. We have used it around the house but in all practicality they are more than useless. All we seem to use it for is when we are to lazy to get the laptop to look up who that guy is in that one movie type stuff. Its too big to really take around and its too limited to actually get work done. In some applications it may be useful, like a doctor for instance. He could carry that instead of a clip board, that makes a bit of since but other wise its a novelty at best. I have a HTC World Smart Phone and my phone does more than the iPad will and it was half the price just has a smaller screen.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fricnjay View Post
    My wife is the Lead Councilor at a High School and the school has bought some of the iPads for some of the administrators to see if there was a use for them. Next year they will probably do away with them. We have used it around the house but in all practicality they are more than useless. All we seem to use it for is when we are to lazy to get the laptop to look up who that guy is in that one movie type stuff. Its too big to really take around and its too limited to actually get work done. In some applications it may be useful, like a doctor for instance. He could carry that instead of a clip board, that makes a bit of since but other wise its a novelty at best. I have a HTC World Smart Phone and my phone does more than the iPad will and it was half the price just has a smaller screen.
    This ^^

I have an HTC smartphone and like FJ said, it will do everything an iPad will do and more (hello Apple, ever heard of Flash?). If you need something bigger and more powerful, then just get a small laptop FFS and then you will have something that isn't much bigger than an iPad and it will be waaaaaaaaaay more powerful than your new status symbol, I mean iPad. Plus, there are many decent laptops that will out perform the iPad for a lot less price.

fricnjay
    Lance my phone will run a complete office suite including outlook, open and make pdfs it even has remote desktop so I can access my work computer and use it like I was sitting in front of it from my phone. Lets see a iPad do any of that.

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fricnjay View Post
    Lance my phone will run a complete office suite including outlook, open and make pdfs it even has remote desktop so I can access my work computer and use it like I was sitting in front of it from my phone. Lets see a iPad do any of that.
    True...my nephew's just set up a business and they delayed and delayed in getting his data drop in. He used his Android phone for all that FJ said and more. Racked up a healthy bill, but the business didn't have any downtime.

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

Shelter Dweller Midnight_Beacon's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I don't have one, but the geek in me can't help but notice.... they had them in Star Trek Enterprise! (I don't like the fact I can't dock the iPad with my pc or any other device so that's a no for me)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    This ^^

I have an HTC smartphone and like FJ said, it will do everything an iPad will do and more (hello Apple, ever heard of Flash?). If you need something bigger and more powerful, then just get a small laptop FFS and then you will have something that isn't much bigger than an iPad and it will be waaaaaaaaaay more powerful than your new status symbol, I mean iPad. Plus, there are many decent laptops that will out perform the iPad for a lot less price.
    I dunno if you noticed, but you don't have to buy an iPad if you want a tablet. Some of the Android based jobs from samsung look fairly awesome and they also come in different sizes from 7 to 12 inch screens

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkady Renko View Post
    I dunno if you noticed, but you don't have to buy an iPad if you want a tablet. Some of the Android based jobs from samsung look fairly awesome and they also come in different sizes from 7 to 12 inch screens
    I wouldn't buy one of those either

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    they can play flash tho

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    So does my smart phone

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You know what doesn't play Flash though and it makes no sense? FF mobile for Android

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    My wife's starting a piano teaching business...wondering if an IPad would have the necessary organization software available. She's sold on MS Outlook right now.

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    You know what doesn't play Flash though and it makes no sense? FF mobile for Android
    try opera instead