Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Air Filters and other stuff

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts

Thinking Engine Air Filters and other stuff

I know those K&N reusable filters are the bomb, but I've run across another reusable cotton engine air filter made by a company called Spectre and that costs about $30 less than the K&N. Does anyone know if the Spectre engine air filter is any good?

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Are you talking about the clamp on kind of K&N where you remove most of the old induction system? They dont make a lot of difference unless you have a highly tuned engine tbh....... just makes it guzzle more fuel and gives it a 'sucking' sound under the bonnet

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Are you talking about the clamp on kind of K&N where you remove most of the old induction system? They dont make a lot of difference unless you have a highly tuned engine tbh....... just makes it guzzle more fuel and gives it a 'sucking' sound under the bonnet
    No, these are manufactured to fit. You don't have to replace the assembly, you just throw the filter in and close it up.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    At least that's what I'm getting from the descriptions. Could be wrong, though.

So you think I should just go with a standard paper replacement filter?

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Yes they are direct replacement and I don't know if I'd spend the money on them. Typically I just get what's cheapest.

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    just make sure it isn't an oiled filter if your car has a MAF sensor

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts
    What Hugh said. You can use an oiled filter (like a K&N) but you must be careful not to over oil it, as the heated elements in a MAF sensor do NOT like oil, and thus you would have to replace your MAF soon afterwards. Spectre filter are okay, but, on a daily driven car, just go to local auto parts store and buy a paper factory style replacement. Despite what you may have heard, a free flowing air filter doesn't add much (if any) hp, and does nothing at all to improve fuel economy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help guys. Stay tuned for my inquiries into brakes.

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts

only joking but i did always have one of these stickers on my cars i use to race

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

Ok! Brakes questions:

After getting my oil changed, the Honda service center handed me this paper with notes on what I need to be thinking about in the future. It said that I need front and rear brakes soon, and on the checklist, the guy marked the "immediate attention required" box on all four brakes and listed them as 3mm (which I'm assuming is how much material is left on the brake pads).

There is nothing mentioning the rotors, pistons, or the calipers so I'm assuming that either they didn't look that close at the whole shindig (as they would have no reason to take the wheels off during this visit) or he's hoping to spring it on me when I say "Ok, go ahead and take care of it". Now I've watched several videos online on how to replace rotors and brake pads, so I have a pretty good idea of what's going to be done when I have it done. However, several things were not addressed:

Question 1: If I get my brake pads replaced (assuming four disc brakes instead of two front disc and two rear drum brakes), should I automatically just ask to have my rotors replaced as well, or should I wait to see what the service technician says? I'm assuming that I don't need rotors as the paper says there's 3mm of material left on the brake pads and I'm not hearing any grinding noises when I use the brakes.

Question 2: Should I go with standard replacement brake pads for my vehicle or should I look into some alternative 3rd party brake pad (for example, ceramic brake pads)?

Question 3: What can I expect to pay for brake pad replacement at a dealership service center compared to a nondealer national chain compared to an independently owned and operated local service station?

Question 4: Same as above but what if we include the rotors?

Question 5: And finally, how long will this sort of job usually take (assuming the service technicians aren't lollygagging around and wasting time on purpose)?

Edit: I have a 2006 Honda Civic EX 2-door auto transmission, if that helps any.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 03-30-2011 at 11:06 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    i wouldn't bother with up rated ceramic pads if i were you not if your not planning alot more power

whats a rotor?

when i do me pads front and back sat out on my front drive i'll be looking at 2 hours max and thats without rushing and making sure everything is put back right a few stops here and there someone trained should be faster ,if your pads aren't grinding you shouldn't need disks replaced as long as theres no ridges cracks etc imo

btw i'm in no way a mechanic just know a bit about cars

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post

Ok! Brakes questions:

After getting my oil changed, the Honda service center handed me this paper with notes on what I need to be thinking about in the future. It said that I need front and rear brakes soon, and on the checklist, the guy marked the "immediate attention required" box on all four brakes and listed them as 3mm (which I'm assuming is how much material is left on the brake pads).

There is nothing mentioning the rotors, pistons, or the calipers so I'm assuming that either they didn't look that close at the whole shindig (as they would have no reason to take the wheels off during this visit) or he's hoping to spring it on me when I say "Ok, go ahead and take care of it". Now I've watched several videos online on how to replace rotors and brake pads, so I have a pretty good idea of what's going to be done when I have it done. However, several things were not addressed:
    if it was just an oil change, then I doubt the'd have done anything more than a quick visual inspection. You can't really check the caliper until you've removed it (unless trhe disc is blue, in which case the piston in the calliper is probably siezed )
    Question 1: If I get my brake pads replaced (assuming four disc brakes instead of two front disc and two rear drum brakes), should I automatically just ask to have my rotors replaced as well, or should I wait to see what the service technician says? I'm assuming that I don't need rotors as the paper says there's 3mm of material left on the brake pads and I'm not hearing any grinding noises when I use the brakes.
    short answer - no

If there was simething wrong with the rotors, it should have been picked up when the dude spotted your "3mm" brake pads

also, your pads (assuming they've never been replaced) probably have a little metal tag on them official term = "acoustic wear indicator" they make a high pitched screech when they touch the rotor
    Question 2: Should I go with standard replacement brake pads for my vehicle or should I look into some alternative 3rd party brake pad (for example, ceramic brake pads)?
    don't waste money on "high performance" stuff. You could probably get pattern parts cheaper yourself and ask the garage to fit them for you
    Question 3: What can I expect to pay for brake pad replacement at a dealership service center compared to a nondealer national chain compared to an independently owned and operated local service station?
    labour times for replacing brake pads for your car about 0.6 hours per axle
    Question 4: Same as above but what if we include the rotors?
    1 hour per axle (including pads)
    Question 5: And finally, how long will this sort of job usually take (assuming the service technicians aren't lollygagging around and wasting time on purpose)?
    assumiong they aren't retards
    pads about 20 mins

pads and rotors about 30-40 mins

how many miles hjas the car done?
    Last edited by Hugh_Janus; 03-30-2011 at 06:31 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Janus View Post
    How many miles has the car done?
    I have about 30000 miles on it, maybe a tad less, but I bought it used and got it when the odometer read 22500. I've been finding little things here and there that need to be taken care of since I bought it, but that's par for the course with most used cars. Most of it was taken care of when it was still under warranty, but that warranty has expired now, so I wasn't looking at any major costs before. I can't really complain though, it's in great running order.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    i don't think you need to upgrade the pads imo for engine size etc i only did things like that when i took out a 1 litre and put in a 1.6 on the vauxhalls had and when i played with me mini (car not anything else) just get a good known make read reviews if needed you want a balance of pad ware disk ware

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    rotors *should* be ok wear wise then. I'd expect they'd need to be changed when the new pads are worn low