Thread: Engine Air Filters and other stuff

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Question 2: Should I go with standard replacement brake pads for my vehicle or should I look into some alternative 3rd party brake pad (for example, ceramic brake pads)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Janus View Post
    don't waste money on "high performance" stuff. You could probably get pattern parts cheaper yourself and ask the garage to fit them for you
    ^^^ This....I got ceramic pads once....not worth it and they ended up screeching like a mother after a few weeks. Definitely not worth the HUGE upcharge. Any reputable place will warranty the pads if they end up failing early. I usually have my work done at a local Firestone owned garage. They did my brakes, a few months later they were acting all funky and they re-did them for no charge.

fricnjay
    DGX if they make it for your car look into Amsoil filters. They allow about the same amount of airflow as a K&N but stop about 50% more of the air-born particulates. They are also typically around 30 dollars and are reusable. They last around 100,000 miles and do not require oiling at all. You just clean with with some compressed air and blow them off, the box actually has instructions. I use Amsoil Oil, tranny fluid and oil and air filters exclusively. Going from Mobile one and Wix I have notice more power and about 2 to 3 miles per gallon better efficiency and I only have to change my oil once a year.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    I think you shouldn't worry about the brakes yet, the wear indicators will give you time to get them fixed before the rotors get damaged. They were most likely trying to upsell the job.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I think you shouldn't worry about the brakes yet, the wear indicators will give you time to get them fixed before the rotors get damaged. They were most likely trying to upsell the job.
    I always wait too long and fuck up the rotors

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts
    Only thing I have to add about the brakes issue is I wouldn't go with the bargain basement cheapo auto parts brand(s) they don't last very long, and they tend to create a tremendous amount of brake dust (black/grey junk on your wheels) I would bet your car came with semi-metallic pads from the factory, and a good set of those is fine for replacement.
    As per the rotors, it has been my experience that if they are warped, you can feel a "shimmy" when lightly applying the brakes. If they are worn too much, you can feel that with your thumbnail (along the outside edge of the shiny part) with 40k miles or so, it's normal to feel a bit of a ridge (depending on driving habbits and environment) but it shouldn't be drastic.
    If you are not mechanically inclined, I wouldn't suggest you doing the brakes yourself the first time. find a friend who knows hoe to do it, have him(or her) watch and teach you how. Other than that, take it to a reputable shop (I never use dealership personally due to excess cost) and have them check the brake system, and give you a written estimate/ scope of work. Brakes are one area that need to work right, every time. Not really something I would suggest a novice to do alone. They are easy, once you've done it and understand how it all works.

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    Lance...I'd say you've been given great advice here. Only thing I can add here is that when my Aerostar (which has similar brakes to your Ranger) needed rotors, or near enough - It just felt "wrong" when braking. (My wife calls me the "car whisperer" - I can usually drive a car and tell you what's up with it! Am I gifted? No - I've just had so many shitty cars in my life everything's gone wrong once!)

I got a shudder throughout the thing that you could feel at the pedal. I thought it was my ABS system, but turned out the rotors were shot - were probably the originals from 280,000 kms (or at least from 100,000 - 280,000 when the owner before me bought my van). Rotors usually last a while!

If you are going through rotors, are you hauling lots of loads, or a trailer with no brakes?

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    What Hugh said. You can use an oiled filter (like a K&N) but you must be careful not to over oil it, as the heated elements in a MAF sensor do NOT like oil, and thus you would have to replace your MAF soon afterwards. Spectre filter are okay, but, on a daily driven car, just go to local auto parts store and buy a paper factory style replacement. Despite what you may have heard, a free flowing air filter doesn't add much (if any) hp, and does nothing at all to improve fuel economy.
    I'd agree with that...I do have a K&N filter in my Nissan NX2000. It might give me some small measureable amount of HP, but it's not much.

Way back, I had a bet with a friend who had the basic identical car to mine - 1987 VW Fox - that mine was faster because I took care of it better.

I was meticulous at keeping up my tune ups, oil changes and he was the opposite, but along the way he added a K&N intake...some shifter that was quicker and a fancy loud exhaust. His car certainly sounded the part of racer, but I just kept pulling away from him. We tried 0 - 60, 30-60 etc etc.

There's no substitute for looking after your cars! Both of my cars have 300,000Kms +

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt View Post
    I'd agree with that...I do have a K&N filter in my Nissan NX2000. It might give me some small measureable amount of HP, but it's not much.

Way back, I had a bet with a friend who had the basic identical car to mine - 1987 VW Fox - that mine was faster because I took care of it better.

I was meticulous at keeping up my tune ups, oil changes and he was the opposite, but along the way he added a K&N intake...some shifter that was quicker and a fancy loud exhaust. His car certainly sounded the part of racer, but I just kept pulling away from him. We tried 0 - 60, 30-60 etc etc.

There's no substitute for looking after your cars! Both of my cars have 300,000Kms +
    some cars loose power with performance intake filters fitted.... and run like a bag of shit.

actual fact.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts
    some cars loose power with performance intake filters fitted.... and run like a bag of shit.

actual fact.
    My personal feelings on that (no hard data to back it up) is that a lot of the performance filters/intake just have an open cone type filter under the hood, so the engine is sucking hotter air in. I prefer to stay with a stock style paper filter with an actual cold air intake. I still run a system like this on my 99Z28, and when I put the cold/ram air on, I picked up almost a full 1mph in the 1/8 with similar DA

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    I always wait too long and fuck up the rotors
    Yep, me too. Many smaller cars the rotors are dirt cheap anyways so you might as well replace them.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    So the Honda service center wanted around $60 for the cabin air filter and around $30 for the engine air filter. I went down to Advance Auto Parts and paid $20 for both together.

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    My personal feelings on that (no hard data to back it up) is that a lot of the performance filters/intake just have an open cone type filter under the hood, so the engine is sucking hotter air in. I prefer to stay with a stock style paper filter with an actual cold air intake. I still run a system like this on my 99Z28, and when I put the cold/ram air on, I picked up almost a full 1mph in the 1/8 with similar DA
    your personal feeling is spot on. When I just came out of my time I had a customer complain that his car wasn't running right, I checked the ECU for stored DTCs.... nothing. I took the car out for a road test and it sounded mental but it didn't go anywhere. So I go back to the workshop and start doing my thing when I have this brainwave.... big engine +small engine bay = lots of heat. So I take the car out for a blast with a live data logger and see the intake air temp is sky high.... Back to the shop I go and I rip out the headlight cos the filter is right behind it and go for another spin.... hey presto, car pulls like a train.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    So the Honda service center wanted around $60 for the cabin air filter and around $30 for the engine air filter. I went down to Advance Auto Parts and paid $20 for both together.

you gunna go get your hands dirty then?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    you gunna go get your hands dirty then?
    Yep, I'm doin' it myself.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Well, I finally got around to putting in those air filters. I took advantage of the brutal heat so that I wouldn't get eaten alive by an infinite swarm of gnats. It took me about a minute and a half to replace both air filters.

And the Honda service center wanted me to pay $90 to let them do it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Haha, they round that 90 seconds up to an hours labor? Sounds about right.